Tire Warr. Question

Old October 14th 12, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Tire Warr. Question

Hello,

Before I go to the auto tire place and have a big argument.

Tires that have worn down to the wear strips way before the 50,000 miles
warr. that they supposedly have:

What's "normally" done":

a credit towards a new pair ?
if so, must they be the same brand, again ?

a cash pro-rated reimbursement ?

or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old October 14th 12, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before I go to the auto tire place and have a big argument.
>
> Tires that have worn down to the wear strips way before the 50,000 miles
> warr. that they supposedly have:
>
> What's "normally" done":
>
> a credit towards a new pair ?
> if so, must they be the same brand, again ?
>
> a cash pro-rated reimbursement ?
>
> or,... ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Well they will ask in no particular order:

Did you have the tires rotated every 4-5K miles?
Did the tires wear on one side or feather? (indicates possible bad
alignment/excessive speed while cornering)
Are they worn evenly across the tire?
plus a bunch more.

Then they will waltz around some, and possibly give you another set.

Good luck.

--
Steve W.
Old October 14th 12, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 10/14/12 3:48 PM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before I go to the auto tire place and have a big argument.
>
> Tires that have worn down to the wear strips way before the 50,000
> miles warr. that they supposedly have:
>
> What's "normally" done":
>
> a credit towards a new pair ?
> if so, must they be the same brand, again ?
>
> a cash pro-rated reimbursement ?
>
> or,... ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Read this,
quoted from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=34

Be sure to read the whole article for more details.

"Assuming that the tires have been properly maintained and have worn
down evenly to 2/32” of remaining tread depth, let's review how
consumers receive their value. Our example will be a set of tires
backed by a 5-year/40,000-mile treadlife/mileage warranty.

If a driver evenly wore all four tires down to 2/32" of remaining
tread depth in 30,000 miles, they would be offered a new set of
equivalent tires from the same brand that would be discounted from
their current retail price by 25% (prorating the value of 10,000 of
the 40,000 miles of wear they didn't receive). The driver would be
required to pay the percentage difference between the warranted
mileage and the mileage actually received as well as the cost of
mounting, balancing and installing the replacement tires."

Be sure to read the whole article for more details.
Old October 15th 12, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Bob > wrote:
>Before I go to the auto tire place and have a big argument.
>
>Tires that have worn down to the wear strips way before the 50,000 miles
>warr. that they supposedly have:

Have they worn evenly, or more on one side than the other? Is there any sign
of cupping?

>What's "normally" done":
>
>a credit towards a new pair ?
>if so, must they be the same brand, again ?
>
>a cash pro-rated reimbursement ?
>
>or,... ?

Normally they argue with you until you decide to go away.
--scott
Old October 22nd 12, 10:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

On Oct 15, 6:01*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> In article >, Bob > wrote:
> >Before I go to the auto tire place and have a big argument.

> >Tires that have worn down to the wear strips way before the 50,000 miles
> >warr. that they supposedly have:

> Have they worn evenly, or more on one side than the other? *Is there any sign
> of cupping?
>
> >What's "normally" done":

> >a credit towards a new pair ?
> >if so, must they be the same brand, again ?

> >a cash pro-rated reimbursement ?

> >or,... ?

> Normally they argue with you until you decide to go away.

"I'm looking for an argument!
Oh, I'm sorry, this is abuse..."