Ethanol in gas?

Old April 25th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Ethanol in gas?

my local stations just started using ethanol in their pumps (happend about 2
weeks ago or so) they are all 10% ethanol. besides form what I've been
reading about it getting worse gas mileage (which I find funny, because gas
keeps going up steadly, and then one day I notice a 10% ethanol sticker, and
gas was still higher.... seems pretty fishy to me, but what can you expect
from oil companies. ) is ethanol bad for my engine (I4 2006 accord) what
percentage of ethanol can it safely take? do any stations still use regular
gas formulations (non ethanol)?

-Nick

Old April 25th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dr Nick wrote:
> my local stations just started using ethanol in their pumps (happend about 2
> weeks ago or so) they are all 10% ethanol. besides form what I've been
> reading about it getting worse gas mileage (which I find funny, because gas
> keeps going up steadly, and then one day I notice a 10% ethanol sticker, and
> gas was still higher.... seems pretty fishy to me, but what can you expect
> from oil companies. ) is ethanol bad for my engine (I4 2006 accord)

not specifically.

> what
> percentage of ethanol can it safely take?

up to 15% iirc.

> do any stations still use regular
> gas formulations (non ethanol)?

my local stations were pumping non-ethanol gas for a couple of weeks
[the compulsory ethanol "oxygenate" mandate has been dropped for
california], but have recently started with ethanol again. very
distinctive change in odor, and in my case, hesitation on acceleration.
with ethanol, my car has a very distinct "flat spot" at about 2000
rpm. those two weeks without, the car was back to normal operation.
all this ethanol b.s. is entirely unnecessary and serves only to
"volumize" gas, i.e. you pay more for less. dig about on api.org if you
don't believe it. gasoline should be sold by the therm, not the gallon
- that way, all these reduced mpg games would stop.

Old April 25th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article <H5h3g.15405$NG.11263@dukeread10>,
"Dr Nick" > wrote:

> my local stations just started using ethanol in their pumps (happend about 2
> weeks ago or so) they are all 10% ethanol. besides form what I've been
> reading about it getting worse gas mileage (which I find funny, because gas
> keeps going up steadly, and then one day I notice a 10% ethanol sticker, and
> gas was still higher.... seems pretty fishy to me, but what can you expect
> from oil companies. ) is ethanol bad for my engine (I4 2006 accord) what
> percentage of ethanol can it safely take? do any stations still use regular
> gas formulations (non ethanol)?
>
> -Nick

Ethanol is fine. It can even be good for the car as long as it doesn't
absorb enough water to separate because it dissolves some buildups that
won't dissolve in oils. It's currently more expensive than gas because
the distribution channels aren't set up right, or at least that's the
claim. Ethanol blends have been around as long as gasoline so I think
it's more of a scam.

It's the heavy alcohols like methanol and brake fluids that are
destructive. They absorb into materials with so much force that they
swell up and disintegrate.
Old April 25th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2006-04-25, Dr Nick > wrote:
> my local stations just started using ethanol in their pumps (happend about 2
> weeks ago or so) they are all 10% ethanol. besides form what I've been
> reading about it getting worse gas mileage.....

Ethanol in gas is actually quite good. I prefer it. They've been
playing around with it for years out here in CA. I remember back in
the early 90s, there was a build up of Beacon stations all over
NorCal. They were the first I recall seeing 10% ethenol. When they
initially hit the market, their ethenol blend was one point octane
higher across the range (reg, med, prem) than any other brand. I ran
nothing but for several years.

Finally, for some bizarre reason, Beacon took the alcohol out and went
back to stright gas, losing that one point octane advantage. I think
it was the oil companies paying off politicos. A couple years later,
Arco started putting 10% ethenol in their gas (no octane number
increase). That also only lasted a couple years. Finally, the oil
companies paid off the pols at the fed level which forced that whole
MTBE bull**** on us and alcohol again went away.

MTBE is now gone and 10% alocohol is back. Still works great in my
'87 Si with 240K miles on it. It worked great in my big ol' Dodge
Van, too. That's where I could really tell what gasolines were worth
a damn and which weren't. That big ol' V8 had an RV cam in it and was real
sensitive to crummy gas with bogus octane ratings. On really hot days
(95-105 F) going up a 3 mile grade on my commute, the low quality
gasolines would make that sucker ping like crazy. Gasoline-ethenol
blends always pinged less than straight gasolines. Shell and Exxon
abosolutely sucked, despite being very high priced gas in NorCal. The
best were gas/alky blends, Union76, non-alky Arco, and Chevron, in
that order.

nb

Old April 25th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> Dr Nick wrote:
>> my local stations just started using ethanol in their pumps (happend
>> about 2 weeks ago or so) they are all 10% ethanol. besides form what
>> I've been reading about it getting worse gas mileage (which I find
>> funny, because gas keeps going up steadly, and then one day I notice
>> a 10% ethanol sticker, and gas was still higher.... seems pretty
>> fishy to me, but what can you expect from oil companies. ) is ethanol
>> bad for my engine (I4 2006 accord)

> not specifically.
>
>> what
>> percentage of ethanol can it safely take?

> up to 15% iirc.

If so, that must be recent change. All the cars I've ever seen will take up
to only 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE without alteration.

>> do any stations still use regular
>> gas formulations (non ethanol)?

> my local stations were pumping non-ethanol gas for a couple of weeks
> [the compulsory ethanol "oxygenate" mandate has been dropped for
> california], but have recently started with ethanol again. very
> distinctive change in odor, and in my case, hesitation on
> acceleration.
> with ethanol, my car has a very distinct "flat spot" at about 2000
> rpm. those two weeks without, the car was back to normal operation.
> all this ethanol b.s. is entirely unnecessary and serves only to
> "volumize" gas, i.e. you pay more for less.

Not quite. It's being added because the deep-green freaks have managed
beyond all logic to convince legislators that ethanol is somehow
"environmentally friendly".

Ethanol is a non-starter without the government shoveling your taxes to the
refiners to buy the stuff. Oxygenated fuels go stale very quickly and are
tough on older cars' fuel systems.

Also, the biggest lobbyist for ethanol and ethanol subsisdies is
ArcherDanielsMidland (ADM). And just guess who America's biggest producer
(and subsidy recipient) of industrial ethanol is...?

> dig about on api.org if
> you don't believe it. gasoline should be sold by the therm, not the
> gallon - that way, all these reduced mpg games would stop.

For Canadian readers wishing to avoid ethanol, the only station that sells
non-ethanolized gas is Esso (Imperial Oil/ExxonMobil). They still use MTBE,
which is derived from natural gas, and they have no plans to move to
ethanol any time soon.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 25th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Adding up to 10% ethanol to gas is actually good. In areas with cold
winters it eliminates the need for using dry gas additives. The ethanol
absorbs any water present in gasoline while still staying dissolved in
the gasoline so that takes care of frozen fuel line problems. It also
helps keep the gas tank clean--it can dissolve substances that gasoline
can't. Here in New York we have had only the ethanol blend for several
years and neither of my cars has shown any mileage decrease or any other
bad effects.

Old April 25th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dr Nick wrote:
> my local stations just started using ethanol in their pumps (happend about 2
> weeks ago or so) they are all 10% ethanol. besides form what I've been
> reading about it getting worse gas mileage (which I find funny, because gas
> keeps going up steadly, and then one day I notice a 10% ethanol sticker, and
> gas was still higher.... seems pretty fishy to me, but what can you expect
> from oil companies. ) is ethanol bad for my engine (I4 2006 accord) what
> percentage of ethanol can it safely take? do any stations still use regular
> gas formulations (non ethanol)?
>
> -Nick

May 5, 2006. That's when MTBE must be phased out per federal
regulations. If your pump had MTBE before, it will now have up to 10%
ethanol. Because MTBE has been detected in water supplies, and is a
(suspected?) carcinogen, it is no longer required. So the billions of
dollars we consumers paid to build the MTBE production plants is now
wasted, and we'll pay additional billions to build ethanol plants.
Thirty new plants are under construction now. The cost will be
permanently higher than MTBE use, since ethanol must be trucked to the
distribution facility and mixed into each tanker before it hits the
road. Ethanol in pipelines doesn't work -- it absorbs a huge amount of
water in transit. Pipelines are cheap per gallon moved, while tankers
are another story.

Most manufacturers already have completed their ethanol deliveries to
the pumps by now. If you're not in an area that required MTBE, then
the decision to sell an ethanol blend is strictly up to the local
merchants. Financially, it is a bad move for the consumer, and i would
avoid its use if possible.

Ethanol at 10% results in a 6% loss of mileage compared to straight
gas. You'll be back at the pump more often. MTBE at 11% concentration
already cost you 3% in mileage, so this is just 3% more lost.
Currently, ethanol is actually more expensive than the gas that it
displaces in the blend. So you're paying more per gallon, and getting
fewer miles. If you have a fairly modern car, ethanol won't really
affect it's performance, only your pocketbook.

Meanwhile, Cuba is making plans to drill in the Gulf of Mexico, but
Congress won't let our producers do it, being fearful of the Greenies.
So Congress can only blame the Prez, because they've got to transfer
the heat that is rightfully on their shoulders.

Old April 25th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In addition, the manufacture of corn-based ethanol takes a tremendous
amount of water from the environment.

It is sound, accepted fact that it takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol to move
a vehicle as far as 1.0 gallons of gas. The earlier poster arguing
against the gas mileage drop is either biased or truly ignorant.

Old April 25th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Perhaps you would like to give the your source for your statements that
ethanol causes a 6% mileage decrease(= 1.5 gal ethanol approximates 1
gal gas).