ethanol producers who use ethanol?

Old September 10th 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
*

Default ethanol producers who use ethanol?

Harry > wrote in article
. com>...

> If you drank that stuff you'd end up mad and/or blind in a very short
> time.
> Quite literally! :-)

You are thinking of Methanol.....aka "wood alcohol."

Ethanol is grain alcohol...."Corn liquor" if you will.

Quite literally!:-)

I know some farm boys who used to tap the "squeezings" from the bottom of
the silo.......

Old September 11th 06, 12:00 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.environment, *

wrote
on Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:45:26 -0500
<01c6d521$a2a1fd40$2390c3d8@race>:

> Harry > wrote in article
> . com>...
>>
>> If you drank that stuff you'd end up mad and/or blind in a very short
>> time.
>> Quite literally! :-)
>>

> You are thinking of Methanol.....aka "wood alcohol."
>
> Ethanol is grain alcohol...."Corn liquor" if you will.
>
> Quite literally!:-)
>
> I know some farm boys who used to tap the "squeezings" from the bottom of
> the silo.......

It might be worth noting that ethanol is also classified
as a poison (AIUI). 0.5% blood level will most likely
kill you. 0.05% will most likely impair you; hence the
establishment of that level in various states of the Union
for legal drunkenness while operating a motor vehicle.
(Some use 0.05%, some 0.08% -- not sure if anyone uses
0.10% anymore. In some cases -- teens, mostly -- 0.01%
is the limit.)

I don't know about the "squeezings" but suspect they were
a mixture of things -- ethanol being a prime ingredient
thereof. However, one cannot generate pure alcohol by
distillation alone (the boiling point of the mixture is
lower than water or alcohol), and in any event things like
vodka and whiskey have additional ingredients, to give
them flavor.

Non-drinkable ethanol is denatured with various things to
give it an undesirable flavor. I don't know what they
are offhand.

#191,
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.
Old September 11th 06, 01:11 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming

"The Ghost In The Machine" > wrote in message
> I don't know about the "squeezings" but suspect they were
> a mixture of things -- ethanol being a prime ingredient
> thereof. However, one cannot generate pure alcohol by
> distillation alone (the boiling point of the mixture is
> lower than water or alcohol), and in any event things like
> vodka and whiskey have additional ingredients, to give
> them flavor.
>
> Non-drinkable ethanol is denatured with various things to
> give it an undesirable flavor. I don't know what they
> are offhand.

Too much ethanol and you will certainly feel punk. Drink enough
and you can die. Water is poisonous by the same definition, when
you take it to extremes.

I have been in a distillery in Bolivia, and you can take a sample right
off the still and drink it - carefully. It contains no great quantities of
any contaminants except about 5% water, which -as you have correctly
posted - cannot be directly separated by common distillation. (But
why would you want to do so?..Vodka normally contains 50-60%
water.)

Old September 11th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.environment, >

wrote
on Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:11:48 GMT
>:
>
> "The Ghost In The Machine" > wrote in message
>> I don't know about the "squeezings" but suspect they were
>> a mixture of things -- ethanol being a prime ingredient
>> thereof. However, one cannot generate pure alcohol by
>> distillation alone (the boiling point of the mixture is
>> lower than water or alcohol), and in any event things like
>> vodka and whiskey have additional ingredients, to give
>> them flavor.
>>
>> Non-drinkable ethanol is denatured with various things to
>> give it an undesirable flavor. I don't know what they
>> are offhand.

> Too much ethanol and you will certainly feel punk. Drink enough
> and you can die. Water is poisonous by the same definition, when
> you take it to extremes.
>
> I have been in a distillery in Bolivia, and you can take a sample right
> off the still and drink it - carefully. It contains no great quantities of
> any contaminants except about 5% water, which -as you have correctly
> posted - cannot be directly separated by common distillation. (But
> why would you want to do so?..Vodka normally contains 50-60%
> water.)

The only reason I'd want to do so is for fuel value.
Water doesn't burn. :-)

As for the 100-120 proof, I'm looking. I was under the
impression they could go up to 180 (I could be wrong;
I don't drink the stuff anyway :-)), but it appears that
the most common variety is 100 proof. To be sure, Stoli
brews it for flavor. :-)

#191,
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.
Old September 11th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Harry[_2_]

Bolivia.....Ha! In Bolivia they sell plastic jerry cans of 95% alcohol
(intended for drinking). I seem to remeber it was about $2/litre.
They're big on partying in Bolivia!
Sensible people mix it with fruit juice. Some gringos try to drink it
neat. It has a very bad effect! :-)
*************************************

Old September 11th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Steve W.[_2_]

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> In sci.environment, >
> >
> wrote
> on Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:11:48 GMT
> >:
>> "The Ghost In The Machine" > wrote in message
>>> I don't know about the "squeezings" but suspect they were
>>> a mixture of things -- ethanol being a prime ingredient
>>> thereof. However, one cannot generate pure alcohol by
>>> distillation alone (the boiling point of the mixture is
>>> lower than water or alcohol), and in any event things like
>>> vodka and whiskey have additional ingredients, to give
>>> them flavor.
>>>
>>> Non-drinkable ethanol is denatured with various things to
>>> give it an undesirable flavor. I don't know what they
>>> are offhand.

>> Too much ethanol and you will certainly feel punk. Drink enough
>> and you can die. Water is poisonous by the same definition, when
>> you take it to extremes.
>>
>> I have been in a distillery in Bolivia, and you can take a sample right
>> off the still and drink it - carefully. It contains no great quantities of
>> any contaminants except about 5% water, which -as you have correctly
>> posted - cannot be directly separated by common distillation. (But
>> why would you want to do so?..Vodka normally contains 50-60%
>> water.)
>>

> The only reason I'd want to do so is for fuel value.
> Water doesn't burn. :-)
>
> As for the 100-120 proof, I'm looking. I was under the
> impression they could go up to 180 (I could be wrong;
> I don't drink the stuff anyway :-)), but it appears that
> the most common variety is 100 proof. To be sure, Stoli
> brews it for flavor. :-)

Go and find a store that still carries EverClear. It is 190 proof. NASTY
unless mixed with something else. Just a sip will make your mouth feel
like your sucking on a ball of cotton over an air nozzle..

Makes moonshine look like water.
http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc494.html
for some "interesting " drinks made with it.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Old September 11th 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming

> The only reason I'd want to do so is for fuel value.
> Water doesn't burn. :-)
>
> As for the 100-120 proof, I'm looking. I was under the
> impression they could go up to 180 (I could be wrong;
> I don't drink the stuff anyway :-)), but it appears that
> the most common variety is 100 proof. To be sure, Stoli
> brews it for flavor. :-)

Absolutely, you can go to 190 proof (about 95% ethanol).
That is good for making liquer, essences, etc. Not too good
to drink, as it will take your stomach lining apart.

Old September 11th 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
ghostwriter

Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
> Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
> the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
> products?

I cant imagine that any ethanol producer doesnt use exclusivly ethanol
in any and all trucks etc. they own. The choice would be convert the
engine or pay for diesel at retail so that you sell the ethanol at
wholesale. That might not apply to semi-trucks etc given the cost of
converting a engine that size, I dont know.

The problem is that the industry is not intergrated at all and so the
producer buys grain without any relationship to the farmer etc. It
might be interesting to arrange a barter of X gallons of ethanol in
exchange for X bushel of corn rather than have 6 people take a cut
prior to the ethanol plant.

Actually what got me started in chemistry and ethanol was a local farm
in my home town that built a distillery just large enough to supply his
tractors and trucks. I was close friends with his nephew and so did a
interview with him about the process when I was in high school.

The problem was that it was a family farm owned by his father (the
nephew's grandfather) and when a offer of $100K (this was the 80's)
came in for the farm, the grandfather sold it out from under his son.
The system was dismantled soon after that point.

Ghostwriter

Old September 12th 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
*

ghostwriter > wrote in article
.com>...

> Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
> > Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
> > the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
> > products?

> I cant imagine that any ethanol producer doesnt use exclusivly ethanol
> in any and all trucks etc. they own. The choice would be convert the
> engine or pay for diesel at retail so that you sell the ethanol at
> wholesale. That might not apply to semi-trucks etc given the cost of
> converting a engine that size, I dont know.
>
> The problem is that the industry is not intergrated at all and so the
> producer buys grain without any relationship to the farmer etc. It
> might be interesting to arrange a barter of X gallons of ethanol in
> exchange for X bushel of corn rather than have 6 people take a cut
> prior to the ethanol plant.
>
> Actually what got me started in chemistry and ethanol was a local farm
> in my home town that built a distillery just large enough to supply his
> tractors and trucks. I was close friends with his nephew and so did a
> interview with him about the process when I was in high school.
>
> The problem was that it was a family farm owned by his father (the
> nephew's grandfather) and when a offer of $100K (this was the 80's)
> came in for the farm, the grandfather sold it out from under his son.
> The system was dismantled soon after that point.
>
> Ghostwriter

If I owned a farm, and all I had to look forward to in the future is
growing grain to produce ethanol, I believe I, too, would sell out in a
heartbeat.

Old September 12th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Scott Dorsey

In article <01c6d670$56f02de0$6793c3d8@race>, * > wrote:

>If I owned a farm, and all I had to look forward to in the future is
>growing grain to produce ethanol, I believe I, too, would sell out in a
>heartbeat.

Jack Daniels doesn't seem to be hurting any.
--scott

Ethanol: Myths and realities laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 11 May 24th 06 06:50 AM
Ethanol in gas? Dr Nick Honda 38 May 2nd 06 03:51 PM
More on U.S. ethanol [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 February 13th 06 09:22 PM
"In other words, we don't have a clue..." [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 28th 06 01:48 AM
Question about E85 gas in California? ephines Jeep 5 September 28th 05 09:04 PM