Ford Fusion reverse gear

Old June 28th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Mike Walsh[_3_]

Default Ford Fusion reverse gear

The reverse gear on my 2006 Ford Fusion 5 speed manual transmission will not engage. This happened after a problem occurred while parallel parking. I had the transmission in reverse, then moved the shifter to put it in neutral and let out the clutch. But the transmission did not go into neutral. The engine did not simply stall as if it was in reverse, but there was a dreadful noise like gears grinding. Now the transmission will not go into reverse at all. Is there any hope of getting this working without tearing the transmission apart.

--
Mike Walsh
Old June 28th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
HLS

"Mike Walsh" > wrote in message

> The reverse gear on my 2006 Ford Fusion 5 speed manual transmission will
> not engage. This happened after a problem occurred while parallel parking.
> I had the transmission in reverse, then moved the shifter to put it in
> neutral and let out the clutch. But the transmission did not go into
> neutral. The engine did not simply stall as if it was in reverse, but
> there was a dreadful noise like gears grinding. Now the transmission will
> not go into reverse at all. Is there any hope of getting this working
> without tearing the transmission apart.
>
> --
> Mike Walsh

Always, the first thing to do is have a look at the transmission,
particularly the shifter.
It may be toast, but check the externals and make sure they are okay and
properly
adjusted.

Old June 28th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Jim Warman

Anything is possible.... it is probability that seems to get us one way or
another... How long was the grinding allowed to go on? How much has the
trans been operated in it's current condition of distress?

As another has commented, any diagnostic process is going to begin with
"basics".... we begin with the least intrusive, simpler checks and tests and
gradually work deeper - much like a doctor.

According to the WSM, the G5M-5 trans has a synchronized reverse..... Can
the shift lever be moved into the reverse gear position? Are there any
abnormal noises? If so, when do they occur? How many miles are on the car?

Old June 28th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Mike Walsh[_3_]

HLS wrote:

> "Mike Walsh" > wrote in message
> >
> > The reverse gear on my 2006 Ford Fusion 5 speed manual transmission will
> > not engage. This happened after a problem occurred while parallel parking.
> > I had the transmission in reverse, then moved the shifter to put it in
> > neutral and let out the clutch. But the transmission did not go into
> > neutral. The engine did not simply stall as if it was in reverse, but
> > there was a dreadful noise like gears grinding. Now the transmission will
> > not go into reverse at all. Is there any hope of getting this working
> > without tearing the transmission apart.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Walsh

> Always, the first thing to do is have a look at the transmission,
> particularly the shifter.
> It may be toast, but check the externals and make sure they are okay and
> properly
> adjusted.

I don't see anything wrong externally. All forward gears shift the same as before.

--
Mike Walsh
Old June 28th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Mike Walsh[_3_]

Jim Warman wrote:

> Anything is possible.... it is probability that seems to get us one way or
> another... How long was the grinding allowed to go on? How much has the
> trans been operated in it's current condition of distress?

The grinding lasted about a second before it stalled.
I have driven it about 15 miles since it happened.

> As another has commented, any diagnostic process is going to begin with
> "basics".... we begin with the least intrusive, simpler checks and tests and
> gradually work deeper - much like a doctor.
>
> According to the WSM, the G5M-5 trans has a synchronized reverse..... Can
> the shift lever be moved into the reverse gear position? Are there any
> abnormal noises? If so, when do they occur? How many miles are on the car?

The shift lever will not go into the reverse position; with the engine running or off. There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000 miles on it.

Old June 28th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Jim Warman

Good grief..... check your Owner Information Guide.... In Canada the 06
fusion has a 5 year/100,000 km powertrain warranty - one would assume
'similar' coverage in the US....

I'm going to tell you the same thing I have to tell the guys in our
shop..... RTFM - read the <factory> manual....

Old June 28th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Alan Mac Farlane

Mike Walsh wrote:
> The reverse gear on my 2006 Ford Fusion 5 speed manual transmission will not engage. This happened after a problem occurred while parallel parking. I had the transmission in reverse, then moved the shifter to put it in neutral and let out the clutch. But the transmission did not go into neutral. The engine did not simply stall as if it was in reverse, but there was a dreadful noise like gears grinding. Now the transmission will not go into reverse at all. Is there any hope of getting this working without tearing the transmission apart.

only if you lost the linkage ... between the tranny and the steering
post or tranny shift lever.

now they are going to electrical switches to move the tranny gears
around and getting rid of the manual linkage for transmission shifting.

if the linkage is good ... my guess is you lost a shear pin off a pinon
gear ... and crunched the gearbox assembly.

old age ... metal fatigue ... confluence of events.

sumbuddie hopes that helps

:?
Old June 28th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Alan Mac Farlane

Jim Warman wrote:

There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000 miles
on it.

take it back to the factory shop ... don't think it will cost you a
thing ... warrenty thingy as it must be a new car even if it is a 2006
would think.

wow ... what a buy kinda sort of thing.

3 years old and only what ... 500 miles a month roadwork so far.

on the face of it ... you got a good deal and it is worth keeping around
perhaps.

sumbuddie just making wild guess now

:?

Old June 28th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Toyota MDT in MO

Alan Mac Farlane wrote:
> Jim Warman wrote:
> >

> There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000
> miles on it.
>

> take it back to the factory shop ... don't think it will cost you a
> thing ... warrenty thingy as it must be a new car even if it is a 2006
> would think.
>
> wow ... what a buy kinda sort of thing.
>
> 3 years old and only what ... 500 miles a month roadwork so far.
>
> on the face of it ... you got a good deal and it is worth keeping
> around perhaps.
>
> sumbuddie just making wild guess now
>
> :?

? indeed. Did your post have a point?

--
Toyota MDT in MO
Old June 28th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:19:37 -0700, Alan Mac Farlane wrote:

> old age ... metal fatigue ... confluence of events.

Made in Mexico...