Odyssey Oil/Antifreeze leak

Old April 28th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
bobzel

Default Odyssey Oil/Antifreeze leak

I have a '95 Honda Odyssey and I just had an oil change about two weeks
ago. The other day I noticed a burning smell and saw some oil leaking
onto the exhaust from below the oil filter. I took it back to the shop
and they showed me that the oil leak appeared to becoming from behind
the *back* of the housing that the oil filter attaches. They tried
replacing a gasket or something at the back of the oil filter housing,
as well as replacing the oil filter. However, when I drove it home from
the shop, I got more smoke than ever and had a very serious drip
(drizzle) of antifreeze from about the same location. Since they said
they didn't think that they had completely fixed the oil leak, I'm
guessing that leak is still there as well.

Before I take it back to the shop, does anyone have an idea of what
they might have screwed up??
Thanks!

--
bobzel
bobzel's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=461735

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 29th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:51:03 -0700, bobzel
> wrote:

>I have a '95 Honda Odyssey and I just had an oil change about two weeks
>ago. The other day I noticed a burning smell and saw some oil leaking
>onto the exhaust from below the oil filter. I took it back to the shop
>and they showed me that the oil leak appeared to becoming from behind
>the *back* of the housing that the oil filter attaches. They tried
>replacing a gasket or something at the back of the oil filter housing,
>as well as replacing the oil filter. However, when I drove it home from
>the shop, I got more smoke than ever and had a very serious drip
>(drizzle) of antifreeze from about the same location. Since they said
>they didn't think that they had completely fixed the oil leak, I'm
>guessing that leak is still there as well.
>
>Before I take it back to the shop, does anyone have an idea of what
>they might have screwed up??
>Thanks!

The part that the oil filter screws on is actually an oil cooler.
Engine coolant enters and exits through hoses attached to pipes on the
periphery of the cylindrical oil cooler. There is a gasket between
the oil cooler and the engine block. I have never heard of this
assembly failing and the fact that it started right after an oil
change makes me suspicious. The fact that it is now leaking coolant
in addition to the oil leak being worse after they replaced the gasket
is not helping.

Regardless of what caused the problem, you need to get this to a
competent mechanic NOW before you destroy the engine.
Old April 29th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

That oil leak is a common problem on stage 1 Odysseys. It is an o ring seal
and deteriates over time. The van is 12 years old. Any tile you move
anything to repair a problem you are subject to things like old hoses
cracking. This is the fault of the owner not replacing brittle and worn
parts as they age. For more information on the Odyssey search the forum at
www.odyclub.com