Fluid change necessary?

Old August 31st 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_5_]

Default Fluid change necessary?

On 08/31/10 09:29, Airport Shuttle wrote:
> You should change the fluid for your saftey.

Agreed

> If you have the skills you
> can purchase a brake fluid do it yourself kit at the local parts store
> for cheap.

And it's much easier to do solo these days than it was in the 70's! <g>
You can buy a vacuum device for bleeding brakes in the $40-50 range
(don't know your budget, but remember this a multi-use tool, not a
consumable like brake fluid). Simply you:

1. set up a caliper,
2. pump to build up vacuum in the bleeder,
3. crack the bleed screw and let the vacuum draw fresh brake fluid thru
that circuit,
4. repeat if the brake fluid isn't clean (new), or if you feel like it,
5. move to the next caliper

I got a Mity-Vac bleeder. IIRC, the correct bleed sequence on my 2003
Accord was LF/RF/RR/LR, but it's easy to look up. Be sure to suck out
(with a tool) the old brake fluid in the master cylinder before you
start and fill with fresh brake fluid, check between each caliper to
ensure you keep the master cylinder level up (otherwise you can draw in
air and start over).

I recommend doing a dry run first to determine the correct fittings,
hoses, etc., from the bleeder kit, that'll save you a lot of time. Write
down what you do so you'll know in 2 years for the next time!

NOTE: Spilled brake fluid destroys paint - catch the old stuff & toss it
where kids aren't likely to find it. It's highly toxic to humans!

brake fluid change Pete[_12_] Honda 19 March 5th 09 11:58 AM
VTM-4 Fluid Change Bruce Honda 4 May 14th 07 05:11 PM
Transmission Fluid Change?? Gerry Ford Mustang 11 March 12th 07 03:29 PM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
Fluid Change on XJ [email protected] Jeep 1 April 22nd 05 07:52 AM