Firestone Firehawk tires - what is your experience

Old September 12th 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dick Snyder

Default Firestone Firehawk tires - what is your experience

I have a 1996 C4 with a Callaway engine. I drive the car in a
"spirited"manner but I don't beat on it. I had to replace my Goodyear GS-C
OEM tires at 25,000 miles and I chose Firestone Firehawk tires - P285/40ZR17
on the rear and P255/45ZR17 on the front. After just 11,000 miles the rear
tires are down to the wear bars. Since the front tires are still good I
think I will have to buy 2 more rear tires to match but I am underwhelmed at
the lousy mileage I got. Maybe my expectations were wrong. Does anyone in
this group have some knowledge to share before I contact TireRack?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Old September 12th 06, 06:58 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Dick Snyder wrote:
> I have a 1996 C4 with a Callaway engine. I drive the car in a
> "spirited"manner but I don't beat on it. I had to replace my Goodyear GS-C
> OEM tires at 25,000 miles and I chose Firestone Firehawk tires - P285/40ZR17
> on the rear and P255/45ZR17 on the front. After just 11,000 miles the rear
> tires are down to the wear bars. Since the front tires are still good I
> think I will have to buy 2 more rear tires to match but I am underwhelmed at
> the lousy mileage I got. Maybe my expectations were wrong. Does anyone in
> this group have some knowledge to share before I contact TireRack?
>
> TIA.
>
> Dick Snyder

Seldom rains here. I like Yoko AVS/ES-100s on the rear of both cars
(AVS/db2s on the front). Good dry traction, nice control into and out
of a drift. Quieter than either AVS/Sport or Goodyear EMTs. OK wear
(tread is heavy on silica). C4 tires are at 18K miles with over 4/32
remaining to wear bars. Both cars skittish on damp pavement. Rear of
C4 hydroplanes @ about 35mph--well before the front (ugly!).

Keep in mind that Tirerack's ratings are biased toward sport sedan behavior.

--
PJ
Old September 12th 06, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dale[_1_]

On or about Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:11:20 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
> wrote or did cause to be written:

>I have a 1996 C4 with a Callaway engine. I drive the car in a
>"spirited"manner but I don't beat on it. ... After just 11,000 miles the rear
>tires are down to the wear bars. ... Does anyone in
>this group have some knowledge to share before I contact TireRack?

I got about 35K out of my Firehawks on an '85. Are you sure you don't
have a rear alignment problem? Or maybe you just are a little more
"spirited" than I, though nothing beats that little chirp at shift
change to indicate your displeasure when passing someone going slow in
the fast lane.

I have bought from Tirerack before and was always very pleased with
the result.

Dale
Old September 12th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Unquestionably Confused

Dick Snyder, wrote the following at or about 9/11/2006 8:11 PM:
> I have a 1996 C4 with a Callaway engine. I drive the car in a
> "spirited"manner but I don't beat on it. I had to replace my Goodyear GS-C
> OEM tires at 25,000 miles and I chose Firestone Firehawk tires - P285/40ZR17
> on the rear and P255/45ZR17 on the front. After just 11,000 miles the rear
> tires are down to the wear bars. Since the front tires are still good I
> think I will have to buy 2 more rear tires to match but I am underwhelmed at
> the lousy mileage I got. Maybe my expectations were wrong. Does anyone in
> this group have some knowledge to share before I contact TireRack?

Hmmmm, guess I'll side with the driver who suggests that you might be a
bit more spirited than you let on or have a rear alignment problem.

I have ~ 12,000 mi on my Firehawks and they look barely used. One of
the reasons I bought them was the great reviews they were getting along
with claims of tire life in excess of 35,000 miles.

Mine look as if they'll easily last that long.

Unfortunately -- though I've not checked of late -- Firestone
discontinued that tire. The reason I know is I took a bolt right
through the tread on one of my rear tires. When I went to the dealer he
broke the bad news to me. No more Firehawks. Fortunately, his rep was
a great little lady who moved heaven and earth and found what was
thought to be the LAST NOS Firehawk in my size down in some gas station
in Alabama and had it up here in a little over a week.

I really like the tires and hope that Firestone brings them back. Great
grip and smooth, quiet ride.

'94 Polo Green II Convertible
Old September 12th 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Empty3

I experienced the same with an 88 IROC; my Firestone Firehawks lasted about
10,000 and I do not drive hard.
This has been a while, but what I learned from the experience was to pay
attention to the threadwear number.
For Firestone Firehawks the number is about 180 (versus about 300+ for sedan
type of tires). The lower the number
the less durable but more traction (in a general sense). Find the right
balance for your driving style and driving time while taking into
consideration
the brand you are most comfortable with.

Empty3

. ..

Old September 13th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_1_]

I have them on my 93 Polo Green Vert and have had the same experience as
you, except I have had to buy 2 sets of rear tires for each set of fronts.

. ..

Old September 13th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dick Snyder

The tire wear on both rear tires is uniform - I don't think there is an
alignment problem but maybe I don't know what symptoms I should be looking
for.

Old September 13th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dick Snyder

Huh. How would you describe your driving style?

Old September 13th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_1_]

Hard and fast. I've found some areas where I can push it kind of hard and
do it regularly.

firestone recall stevie Ford Explorer 3 January 26th 06 01:56 PM
Problem with my Ford F350 transmission pulling heavy load. Todd Technology 22 March 18th 05 12:57 PM
Lemans Tires by Firestone Dave Boland Honda 2 November 17th 04 06:34 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette Tom in Missouri Corvette 2 August 11th 04 04:21 PM