CHEVROLET VENTURE POPPING NOISE

Old October 12th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default CHEVROLET VENTURE POPPING NOISE

This is a 1999 Chevrolet Venture, with 200,000 kms on it. I bought it
and it had one flaw. The intake manifold gasket was broken. I opened
it, i replaced the gaskets with brand new ones, and everything was
running perfect, but one little sound at the rocking arms came up. I
checked, and i forgot that the rocking arms should of been tightened at
45 degrees, where i only did 15 degrees. I re-opened everything, and
tighten them. But this time i also changed the sparkplugs and the
cables, and the distribuitor. Now i put everything together, and the
rocking arm popping was gone, but a bigger flaw came up. Now everytime
i accelerate it on low rpm (Parking Gear), it does some popping.
Whenever accelerated a bit, it makes a poping sound. Like i press the
gas ( and POP right away after pressing on gas). I turned off the
engine started it again, everything ran smooth, but as soon as i
started to accelerate it a bit, it would POP. At some point it started
to POP POPPOPOPOP, so i turned off the engine. Any ideas what that
could be? Too tight on the Rocking arms, or spark plugs, or WHAT ELSE
could it be!!

THANKS!

Old October 12th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

wrote in article
.com>...
> This is a 1999 Chevrolet Venture, with 200,000 kms on it. I bought it
> and it had one flaw. The intake manifold gasket was broken. I opened
> it, i replaced the gaskets with brand new ones, and everything was
> running perfect, but one little sound at the rocking arms came up. I
> checked, and i forgot that the rocking arms should of been tightened at
> 45 degrees, where i only did 15 degrees. I re-opened everything, and
> tighten them. But this time i also changed the sparkplugs and the
> cables, and the distribuitor. Now i put everything together, and the
> rocking arm popping was gone, but a bigger flaw came up. Now everytime
> i accelerate it on low rpm (Parking Gear), it does some popping.
> Whenever accelerated a bit, it makes a poping sound. Like i press the
> gas ( and POP right away after pressing on gas). I turned off the
> engine started it again, everything ran smooth, but as soon as i
> started to accelerate it a bit, it would POP. At some point it started
> to POP POPPOPOPOP, so i turned off the engine. Any ideas what that
> could be? Too tight on the Rocking arms, or spark plugs, or WHAT ELSE
> could it be!!
>
> THANKS!

I don't fully understand your explanation of your rocker arm adjustment,
but I suspect you've overtightened your rocker arms and a few intake valves
are hanging open - causing the popping sound....

Your initial problem MAY have been the intake leak which created a lean
operating condition, causing the backfiring but, if I understand your
explanation above, your latest problem came on after re-adjusting your
rockers.

Simple logic would suggest it is something you did.

You also may have mixed up the wires and gotten the firing order out of
sequence.

rocker adjustment procedure exactly as outlined in the book.....

Old October 12th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Thanks for your answer man, but the firing order is perfect and no leak
in the intake has taken place by the way. It is indeed mounting flaw.
Thanks

Old October 13th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Slick

gord_truck you want to reset you rocker with a feller guage and do a
wet and dry cylender check . This may sound crazy but you may have a
head gasket blown cylender . This can cause this poping sounds This may
give you some idea of what in store .myself they are just junk and a
pain after a 160 clicks the best thing is a for sale sign have fun

Old October 13th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MT-2500[_48_]

Wrote:
> This is a 1999 Chevrolet Venture, with 200,000 kms on it. I bought it
> and it had one flaw. The intake manifold gasket was broken. I opened
> it, i replaced the gaskets with brand new ones, and everything was
> running perfect, but one little sound at the rocking arms came up. I
> checked, and i forgot that the rocking arms should of been tightened
> at
> 45 degrees, where i only did 15 degrees. I re-opened everything, and
> tighten them. But this time i also changed the sparkplugs and the
> cables, and the distribuitor. Now i put everything together, and the
> rocking arm popping was gone, but a bigger flaw came up. Now everytime
> i accelerate it on low rpm (Parking Gear), it does some popping.
> Whenever accelerated a bit, it makes a poping sound. Like i press the
> gas ( and POP right away after pressing on gas). I turned off the
> engine started it again, everything ran smooth, but as soon as i
> started to accelerate it a bit, it would POP. At some point it started
> to POP POPPOPOPOP, so i turned off the engine. Any ideas what that
> could be? Too tight on the Rocking arms, or spark plugs, or WHAT ELSE
> could it be!!
>
> THANKS!

If it is popping back threw intake it is a valve not opening right.
Some have long and short push rods.
Check for a tight one or one not opening valve.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old October 15th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Thanks MT-2500, that was the exact problem my friend. Thanks a lot for
all your replays, and yet, MT-2500 is the only one who actually guessed
the problem.