320 Diesel - found all 4 windows down

Old October 23rd 04, 02:38 PM
David Brown

Default 320 Diesel - found all 4 windows down

About 6 months ago I noticed all 4 windows down. Other than that the car was
secure i.e. doors locked. I closed the windows and thought it a one off.

This morning the people next door woke me up on their way to work to let me
know that all 4 windows on my car were down. Again doors locked. This time,
due to the heavy rain, the inside was very wet.

Not sure if it was lightning or someone elses remote that caused it.

Any one come across this before?

Regards,
Dave.

Old October 26th 04, 09:51 AM
Geoffrey Mortimer

"David Brown" > wrote in message
> About 6 months ago I noticed all 4 windows down. Other than that the car

was
> secure i.e. doors locked. I closed the windows and thought it a one off.
>
> This morning the people next door woke me up on their way to work to let

me
> know that all 4 windows on my car were down. Again doors locked. This

time,
> due to the heavy rain, the inside was very wet.
>
> Not sure if it was lightning or someone elses remote that caused it.
>
> Any one come across this before?
>
> Regards,
> Dave.

I had a 325i which did this once. The garage said they'd fixed it, but also
pointed out the existance of an emergency feature of some sort (the precise
details I forget). Apparently, if the remote locking button in the key fob
is held down for 10 seconds or so all the doors unlock and all the windows
open.

Anyone know more?

Old October 26th 04, 10:02 AM
Jeremy

In article >, Geoffrey Mortimer says...

> I had a 325i which did this once. The garage said they'd fixed it, but also
> pointed out the existance of an emergency feature of some sort (the precise
> details I forget). Apparently, if the remote locking button in the key fob
> is held down for 10 seconds or so all the doors unlock and all the windows
> open.

The opposite also applies of course - hold down the lock button and all
windows and sunroof close until you release the button. Certainly omn my
E39.

--

jeremy
Old October 26th 04, 10:22 AM
Oliver Hui

Not happened to me but from the manual it does say that if you hold the 'unlock' button on the key longer than (I don't remember how many) seconds then all windows (including the moonroof) opens completely. I sometimes do this deliberately to cool off the car on a hot day before getting in.

Oliver

Old October 26th 04, 05:27 PM
DFS

>> I had a 325i which did this once. The garage said they'd fixed it, but
>> also
>> pointed out the existance of an emergency feature of some sort (the
>> precise
>> details I forget). Apparently, if the remote locking button in the key
>> fob
>> is held down for 10 seconds or so all the doors unlock and all the
>> windows
>> open.

After finding the car in the driveway in the pouring rain with all four
windows and the sunroof open, I got in the habit of taking the keys out of
my pocket and dropping them on the entry table. Something else in my pocket
would depress the button, and voila, instant carpool.

On the other hand, it was a neat feature when approaching the car on a
scorching day in a parking lot, to be able to dispel some of the heat before
entering the car.

DS

Old October 28th 04, 08:52 AM
David Brown

"Jeremy" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, Geoffrey Mortimer says...
>
> > I had a 325i which did this once. The garage said they'd fixed it, but

also
> > pointed out the existance of an emergency feature of some sort (the

precise
> > details I forget). Apparently, if the remote locking button in the key

fob
> > is held down for 10 seconds or so all the doors unlock and all the

windows
> > open.

> The opposite also applies of course - hold down the lock button and all
> windows and sunroof close until you release the button. Certainly omn my
> E39.

Yup. Both work. Hold down the unlock button and the windows come down. Hold
down the lock button and they go up. Neat - I didn't know I could do that.
RTFM springs into my head :-)

Regards,
Dave.

Old October 28th 04, 08:56 AM
David Brown

"RDL" > wrote in message
> "Oliver Hui" > wrote:
>
> >Not happened to me but from the manual it does say that if you hold the

'unlock' button on the key longer than (I don't remember how many) seconds
then all windows (including the moonroof) opens completely. I sometimes do
this deliberately to cool off the car on a hot day before getting in.

> >Oliver

> Any toddlers in the house? They love pressing buttons.

No but I have a habit a leaving the key in my pocket. I need to determine to
what extent the key fob works through a brick wall, the wooden front door
and the plastic garage door. I may have been working in the garage, bending
over, and accidentally pressed the button whilst it was in the pocket of my
jeans.

Regards,
Dave.

Old October 28th 04, 05:33 PM
Doug Main

> No but I have a habit a leaving the key in my pocket. I need to determine to
> what extent the key fob works through a brick wall, the wooden front door
> and the plastic garage door. I may have been working in the garage, bending
> over, and accidentally pressed the button whilst it was in the pocket of my
> jeans.

Or someone else in the neighbourhood has a garage door, tv remote, some
other electronic thingy that sends a signal that is picked up by your
car. With all the radio, IR and other waves out there, I'm surprised
there isn't more cross talk.

--
Doug Main
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Old October 28th 04, 05:53 PM
David Brown

"Doug Main" > wrote in message

> > No but I have a habit a leaving the key in my pocket. I need to

determine to
> > what extent the key fob works through a brick wall, the wooden front

door
> > and the plastic garage door. I may have been working in the garage,

bending
> > over, and accidentally pressed the button whilst it was in the pocket of

my
> > jeans.

> Or someone else in the neighbourhood has a garage door, tv remote, some
> other electronic thingy that sends a signal that is picked up by your
> car. With all the radio, IR and other waves out there, I'm surprised
> there isn't more cross talk.

I thought about that. This happened once before about six months ago. Living
in a quiet cul-de-sac I would expect cross-talk from other residents devices
to happen more often so I'm assuming that if cross-talk is the cause that it
must be an infrequent visitor.

Regards,
Dave.

Old November 9th 04, 10:14 AM
David Brown

"David Brown" > wrote in message
> About 6 months ago I noticed all 4 windows down. Other than that the car

was
> secure i.e. doors locked. I closed the windows and thought it a one off.
>
> This morning the people next door woke me up on their way to work to let

me
> know that all 4 windows on my car were down. Again doors locked. This

time,
> due to the heavy rain, the inside was very wet.
>
> Not sure if it was lightning or someone elses remote that caused it.
>
> Any one come across this before?

The garage had the car last week and reported that they had found and fixed
a fault in the ZKA unit. It seems that the ZKA unit controls the doors and
windows.

Regards,
Dave.