SC2 Start-up Problems

Old March 17th 05, 04:52 PM
Alana

Default SC2 Start-up Problems

About 1 of every 10 times I try to start my '97 SC2, it won't start unless
I pump the gas rapidly for a few seconds. Then, when it does start, the
car shakes violently until it gets going for about 10-15 seconds. I've
also noticed that when the start-up is bad there's a blueish smoke that
comes out of the exhaust. It reeks of gas. Any idea what my problem is?
I'm a female and I don't want to be taken for a ride when I bring my car in
for repair. Thanks for all feedback in advance!

Old March 17th 05, 05:17 PM
Bob Shuman

My opinion is that it sounds like a fuel injection system problem. You may
have a leaky injector or injectors that are putting raw unvaporized gasoline
into the combustion chamber. The shaking and rough idle at start are a sign
it is getting too much gas as is the blue smoke as well which is oil burning
from the gas mixing with the oil on the piston rings. Don't pump the
accelerator as this will only make matters worse. Should start without any
throttle, but if it gets flooded, some vehicles will sense a wide open
throttle and stop gas to clear the cylinders. If Saturn does this then you
should hold the accelerator all the way down. If not, then don't and just
start without any throttle.

Bob

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 21st 05, 02:41 AM
Philip Nasadowski

#1) Don't pump the gas when starting. In almost ANY weather, your
Saturn (or any other car made in the last 20 years), should start with
your foot off the gas, period.

#2) If you do 'flood' the car, on Saturns (and all other GM cars?), you
can hold the gas to the floor while cranking and it'll go into 'flood
clear mode'. Then release the gas and try again.

#3) Poor starting performance on Saturns, especially in cold weather,
is commonly due to a coolant temperature sensor, which goes bad a lot on
these cars. This part costs only a few dollars and takes 15 minutes to
replace on a cold engine. The total repair should be well under 100
dollars. It's neither complex nor does it require removing much - just
lifting an air duct out of the way, disconnecting the wire, and removing
the sensor.

BTW, if your car idles rather fast, or never seems to turn on the fan,
or the temperature gauge doesn't go up much, then this sensor is most
certainly bad.

4) Cleaning the throttle body and IAC can sometimes help starting/idle
performance. But I'd check the above sensor first, they're very common
replacements on Saturns.

start problems KCB Ford Mustang 6 February 1st 05 11:42 PM
ION wont start when cold Christieann Saturn 10 January 27th 05 02:31 AM
97 V6 SOHC Will Intermittantly Not Start - loses clock/radio memory settings??? Jeff Ford Explorer 0 January 20th 05 03:11 AM
alfa 156 start problems hmspilky Alfa Romeo 13 January 7th 05 10:06 PM
156 start problems ?! Canonian Alfa Romeo 15 December 8th 04 08:57 AM