The dreaded oil/tire thread!

Old July 24th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default The dreaded oil/tire thread!

"Iva" > wrote:

> Reviews on Tire Rack are definitely Not Much Help. As you noted
> above, you get completely different results from different
> reviewers on the same tires.

Ditto on Discount Tire's site.

> Some of our local club folks have used the Kumho and liked them.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

> I'm looking for new summer shoes for Vixen right now too but I'm
> leaning more towards either the Falken ZE-912 or the Yokohama
> S.drive. The tires on her now are the OEMs and they're definitely
> at the end of their useful life - not to mention that they're
> starting to get cracks in them. I've got some extra MSUs coming
> in the middle of August so I've got some time to do more research.

I'd be waiting awhile myself if this deal hadn't come along but I may
pass on it. The price is good, changing from the original 14" wheels
to 15" wheels will make more tire choices available but I can spend a
total of $0.00 including tax, mounting and balancing to keep what I
have with a LOT of tread remaining and OK traction if it doesn't rain.
If it rains, I just drive carefully or don't drive the Miata.

There's other things I could do with the money but who knows. Right
now, my decision is a very firm, definite maybe.....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old July 25th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I've heard good things about the price / quality ratio for Kuhmos, from
performance related folks. If you're as cheap as me, you'll try to get as
close to the full wear out of what's on there while you can and start
watching for a similar great deal a month or two before they give up the
ghost. Another alternative would be to grab the deal while you can and throw
them in the garage while you use up the existing rubber.

Chris
99BBB

. 236...

Old July 25th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

XS11E > wrote:

> So what do people think of Kumho tires, specifically the AST?
> Kumho's are available to me for a not too awful price, just under
> $600 mounted and balanced on white Rota Speed 5 Wheels, wheels are
> 15x6.5, tires are 195/50z/R15.

I done did it. I asked about the price which is about $150 or so less
than the regular price and got this:

"This is the last set we have in stock, Just want to sell it fast,
nothing wrong with it."

If it turns out OK I'll be VERY happy....

Oh, lug nuts are included...

Old July 26th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I don't think you'll be disappointed but would love to hear a follow up!

Chris
99BBB

. 236...

Old July 26th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> I don't think you'll be disappointed but would love to hear a
> follow up!

I can follow up a little bit already, I clicked on the PayPal button to
pay now and got shipping information in less than half an hour.

That's pretty fast in my opinion..... UPS confirms the tracking numbers
as having received the shipping info but they haven't picked them up
yet so I figure Monday will be the soonest they'll get picked up, they
I might have them by the end of the week, maybe?

Pulling the rear wheels will FINALLY allow me to see what's wrong with
the emergency brake. It's been adjusted but won't hold the car from
rolling.

Old July 26th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

XS11E > wrote:

> I can follow up a little bit already, I clicked on the PayPal
> button to pay now and got shipping information in less than half
> an hour.

And more, UPS has them, delivery is scheduled for Wednesday.

I'm afraid they'll have to wait since Thursday is new top day, the
wheels/tires will have to keep until the weekend.

Old July 28th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan J Claffie

XS11E wrote:
> So what do people think of Kumho tires, specifically the AST?

I'm a Kuhmo fan: good cheap tires.

I have ASTs (195/50/15 on 15x7 wheels) on both Miatas and I'm pretty
happy with them. We're not autocrossers or track drivers but I've been
known to do some spirited driving around town and on the back roads. The
ASTs haven't given me any nervous UH OH moments and seem to be wearing
well, although they're still pretty new. They're good in the dry and
suprisingly good in the wet (our 500-mile ride home from Myrtle Beach
last March was pretty much all in rainstorms). Unless they wind up going
bald in 15,000 miles, I'll get more.

1996 Montego Blue base model rear-ended and killed 7/17/08 (sigh)
1999 Brilliant Black Sport Pkg
http://www.claffie.com
Old July 28th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Alan J Claffie > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> So what do people think of Kumho tires, specifically the AST?

> I'm a Kuhmo fan: good cheap tires.
>
> I have ASTs (195/50/15 on 15x7 wheels) on both Miatas and I'm
> pretty happy with them. We're not autocrossers or track drivers
> but I've been known to do some spirited driving around town and on
> the back roads. The ASTs haven't given me any nervous UH OH
> moments and seem to be wearing well, although they're still pretty
> new. They're good in the dry and suprisingly good in the wet (our
> 500-mile ride home from Myrtle Beach last March was pretty much
> all in rainstorms). Unless they wind up going bald in 15,000
> miles, I'll get more.

Thanks, Alan, EXACTLY what I wanted to know! I've already ordered the
tires and rims, they'll be here Wednesday according to UPS.

Old July 31st 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:36:54 -0700, XS11E wrote:

> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> I can follow up a little bit already, I clicked on the PayPal button to
>> pay now and got shipping information in less than half an hour.

> And more, UPS has them, delivery is scheduled for Wednesday.
>
> I'm afraid they'll have to wait since Thursday is new top day, the
> wheels/tires will have to keep until the weekend.

They're here! I won't get the car back until this afternoon so the tires
will probably get installed this weekend.
Old August 1st 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:36:54 -0700, XS11E wrote:
>
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>
>>> I can follow up a little bit already, I clicked on the PayPal
>>> button to
>>> pay now and got shipping information in less than half an hour.

>> And more, UPS has them, delivery is scheduled for Wednesday.
>>
>> I'm afraid they'll have to wait since Thursday is new top day, the
>> wheels/tires will have to keep until the weekend.

> They're here! I won't get the car back until this afternoon so the
> tires
> will probably get installed this weekend.

Isn't it nice to be pleasantly surprised by a vendor for a change? <g>

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata