No Miata yet....

Old August 19th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default No Miata yet....

I apparently misunderstood when I thought the paint shop said I'd get
the car back last Friday, they called my yesterday morning and said it
would be done this coming Friday, the twentytooth.

Too bad, we're having good top down weather and my new tires are still
waiting for a test drive around a curve or two.... maybe a quick dash
up 191 would break them in a bit?

http://www.arizonaroads.com/us/us191.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_191
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/az_us191.html

For those who haven't driven/ridden it, the Coronado Trail makes the
"Tail of the Dragon" look like a straight, high speed highway.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old August 19th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

XS11E wrote:
snip...

> For those who haven't driven/ridden it, the Coronado Trail makes the
> "Tail of the Dragon" look like a straight, high speed highway.

There are probably any number of roads that would fill that specification.
It just depends on what you want to get yourself into and how willing you
are to find that parts of the only road have disappeared down the cliff and
how willing you are to pay the price for fuel that was pushing $4/gallon
ten years ago. No telling what it is now but since there is only one pump
along the route you just gotta' take it <g>. For example, drive Mattole Rd.
from Ferndale, CA, down to and along the "Lost Coast", to Wilder Ridge Rd.,
and then to Rockport, CA. While you are at it you might well just keep
driving down the more-traveled part of the Coast Highway which is wonderful
all the time. Well, except when a storm is blowing in and waves are
breaking over the highway or when Devil's Slide has collapsed into the
ocean again...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old August 20th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> For those who haven't driven/ridden it, the Coronado Trail makes the
> "Tail of the Dragon" look like a straight, high speed highway.

I particularly like the southern part, where the state saved a fortune
on yellow signage by simply making the speed limit 10 mph. Some of the
turns require first gear.

Oh yeah, I kept it under 10, youbetcha...

John's right about the road falling into the canyon, though. Plenty of
gravel in some of the turns, too. This is a dangerous road if you don't
exercise some common sense.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old August 20th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> For those who haven't driven/ridden it, the Coronado Trail makes
>> the "Tail of the Dragon" look like a straight, high speed
>> highway.

> Plenty of gravel in some of the turns, too. This is a dangerous
> road if you don't exercise some common sense.

Every year a flock of geese and ducks (Moto Guzzis and Ducatis) used to
leave Tucson and ride to Ruidoso, NM for the big rally there, they'd
race over US 191. They always had a wreck or two and, I think, one guy
killed himself on the road. I never rode with those guys...

I've made many trips up there on the bike and of all the people riding
along we only had one crash. It was gravel that got him, of course.
I always respected that road and I had a speed limiter, I usually rode
with SWMBO on the back and if I went too fast I'd stop breathing, when
I slowed down she'd relax her grip and I could inhale again.....

Old August 20th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> I've made many trips up there on the bike and of all the people riding
> along we only had one crash. It was gravel that got him, of course.

I just got back from a trip to SW Wisconsin, there are some marvelous roads
there. This year the gravel wasn't too bad but there was more "stuff" from
cows and horses...

> I always respected that road and I had a speed limiter, I usually rode
> with SWMBO on the back and if I went too fast I'd stop breathing, when
> I slowed down she'd relax her grip and I could inhale again.....

LOL!

miker

Old August 20th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"miker" > wrote:

>> I've made many trips up there on the bike and of all the people
>> riding along we only had one crash. It was gravel that got him,
>> of course.

> I just got back from a trip to SW Wisconsin, there are some
> marvelous roads there. This year the gravel wasn't too bad but
> there was more "stuff" from cows and horses...

Years back on the BMW list there was an Englishman who lived is SE
Asia. He wrote about triangular yellow cautions signs with pictures
elephants and mentioned just how slippery the road could get if you
rode around a curve fast into a pile of elephant droppings, plus the
concern that if you really spooked an elephant or a herd of elephants,
you could be in SERIOUS trouble... the mahout(s) can deal with most
emergencies but not panic.

Old August 20th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> Years back on the BMW list there was an Englishman who lived is SE
> Asia. He wrote about triangular yellow cautions signs with pictures
> elephants and mentioned just how slippery the road could get if you
> rode around a curve fast into a pile of elephant droppings,

Yow!

Reminds me of my all-time favorite mens-mag cartoon... all the blind men are
standing around the elephant feeling it's side, leg, trunk, etc... about 10
feet behind the elephant is one more blind man, who says "The Elephant is
soft and squishy!"

miker

Old August 20th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

XS11E > wrote:

> Years back on the BMW list there was an Englishman who lived is SE
> Asia. He wrote about triangular yellow cautions signs with
> pictures elephants and mentioned just how slippery the road could
> get if you rode around a curve fast into a pile of elephant
> droppings, plus the concern that if you really spooked an elephant
> or a herd of elephants, you could be in SERIOUS trouble... the
> mahout(s) can deal with most emergencies but not panic.

Danged if a search didn't find him and his web pages:

http://www.geocities.com/gkrogers98/images/images.html
Notice the first two pictures.

All of Graham's motorcycle pages:
http://www.extensions.in.th/index2.html

Old August 22nd 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I was just reminiscing about my attempted trip to drive 191 in late 06 IIRC.
Didn't make it there! I would love to be able to make the comparison myself!

Chris
99BBB

. ..

Another Miata - R.I.P. pws[_1_] Mazda 34 April 6th 07 04:12 PM
FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
Miata vs Z3? Dana Rohleder Mazda 29 March 18th 06 12:37 AM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 08:29 AM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 03:18 PM