Can't open driver door on my 1993 325i Convertible

Old April 5th 05, 07:02 PM
tim

Default Can't open driver door on my 1993 325i Convertible

Recently I stopped being able to lock my driver side door with the key
and would lock the car via the trunk. Unlocking via the driver side
door hadn't been a problem.

This weekend my door decided not to open at all - from the inside
handle or outside and I haven't been able to open it since.

When I turn the key in the driver door it doesn't move the lock
mechanism, it just does a hard flop from the horizontal to vertical
position. When I turn the key in another door the driver door locks
just fine but will only come up half whey when unlocking.

It's a bit embarrassing having to crawl in and out of the passenger
door. Has anybody had a similar problem? Does anybody have a
solution? Should I try putting wd40 in the lock?

Regards,

Tim

Old April 5th 05, 08:10 PM
Don

tim wrote:

> It's a bit embarrassing having to crawl in and out of the passenger
> door. Has anybody had a similar problem? Does anybody have a
> solution? Should I try putting wd40 in the lock?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim

I think you are WAY past the point where putting WD40 into a lock will
be any help at all. The mechanism inside the door is disconnected, so no
amount of WD40 will connect it again.

What to do? I'd suggest finding a mechanic or dealer who can look at it
for you. I somehow don't envision you as being someone really
comfortable with ripping your car apart (which will be quite tricky
since the door can't be opened, and it has to be open to take off the
interior panel for the door.)
Old April 5th 05, 11:27 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
tim > wrote:
> When I turn the key in the driver door it doesn't move the lock
> mechanism, it just does a hard flop from the horizontal to vertical
> position. When I turn the key in another door the driver door locks
> just fine but will only come up half whey when unlocking.

Have you tried pulling up the plunger while someone else operates the key
or central locking? Doing this several times might give a result if it's
just stuck. Also make sure the door is fully closed - a good push with
both hands at the rear should make sure it is.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.