Chrysler Needs to CREATE a Market as did Honda

Old June 27th 05, 01:57 AM
Denny

Default Chrysler Needs to CREATE a Market as did Honda

This is scary. I agree with about 75% of ole Nomen's ideas. Bring back the
base Neon with no power anythings and gets 40 mpg. What more do you need for
a kids/work car??

Denny

Old June 27th 05, 03:32 AM
Joe

Chrysler is more creative than most. They've built a number of niche market
cars that made their own way. It didn't save Plymouth, though. The could
really benefit from an economy division now.....

I don't think any of these ideas are new. In business, fads just swing back
and forth. At one extreme, they get criticized for not listening to
customers, and then at the other, they get criticized for not thinking out
of the box. One minute you're not diversified enough, and in another you're
in trouble for not being "focused" on your core business. The truth is, if
business leaders would just do nothing at all, it would save companies a ton
of money. They really just wiggle back and forth to create an illusion of
progress.

Technically, it's another matter. Servicability, wasted space, packaging,
ergonomics, crashworthiness. They have a lot of constraints to deal with.
You could build a car for $3500 that would get 100 mpg. We have laws in the
U.S. that would keep it off the roads, though.

. ..

Old June 27th 05, 11:08 AM
Bill Putney

Joe wrote:
> Chrysler is more creative than most. They've built a number of niche market
> cars that made their own way. It didn't save Plymouth, though. The could
> really benefit from an economy division now.....
>
> I don't think any of these ideas are new. In business, fads just swing back
> and forth. At one extreme, they get criticized for not listening to
> customers, and then at the other, they get criticized for not thinking out
> of the box. One minute you're not diversified enough, and in another you're
> in trouble for not being "focused" on your core business. The truth is, if
> business leaders would just do nothing at all, it would save companies a ton
> of money. They really just wiggle back and forth to create an illusion of
> progress.
>
> Technically, it's another matter. Servicability, wasted space, packaging,
> ergonomics, crashworthiness. They have a lot of constraints to deal with.
> You could build a car for $3500 that would get 100 mpg. We have laws in the
> U.S. that would keep it off the roads, though.

Bravo!! Excellent post.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 27th 05, 07:39 PM
J L

Chrysler could very easily offer affordable cars. I don't believe the
profit margin would be big enough to satisfy the powers that be or the
Chrysler shareholders. Look at GEO for example. A line of American
badged econo cars at an affordable price. To affordable & to slim a
profit for GM not to kill off GEO. Bells & whistles are what makes the
money flow like water. Plymouth had the potential to be the Geo of the
Chrysler world catering to the basic transportation market. I want an
automobile with automatic, a/c, tilt & cruise. Not me being forced to
buy bundled & over inflated option packages that include things I'll
never use to get the things I do. Trucks come that way. Why not cars? My
'03 Ram had automatic, a/c, tilt & cruise & plastic coated chrome
wheels. Chrysler are you listening? I hope so... JL

Old June 27th 05, 07:56 PM
MoPar Man

J L wrote:

> Chrysler are you listening?

Chrysler is listening all right.

They're listening to their bosses in Germany.

They're being told to design cars that use more and more Mercedes
parts and systems.

They're being told that there is a luxury/performance level that they
must not cross lest they be in competition with Mercedes.

Chrysler could have had a much classier-looking sedan with more
universal appeal had they built the 300N concept car shown in 2000.
They could have had captured some of the youth market that went to
Honda and Nissan had they built the '99 Charger concept.

The LX platform has severe styling limitations and North American
consumers will get tired of it. Sometimes the answer to everything is
not "put a hemi in it". Not just because gas is heading towards $3 a
gallon.

Where is Daimler's push to market Chrysler cars in Europe? Where is
the synergy in this "partnership" ? So far it's only in one direction
- to put more Merc content into Chrysler.
Old June 27th 05, 08:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, J L wrote:

> Chrysler could very easily offer affordable cars. I don't believe the
> profit margin would be big enough to satisfy the powers that be or the
> Chrysler shareholders. Plymouth had the potential to be the Geo of the
> Chrysler world catering to the basic transportation market. I want an
> automobile with automatic, a/c, tilt & cruise. Not me being forced to
> buy bundled & over inflated option packages that include things I'll
> never use to get the things I do. Trucks come that way. Why not cars?

Because that's not how the game's being played right now. With the Koreans
selling toastermobiles loaded up with power everything, a zero-options car
just doesn't have the power to sell any longer, as it seems.
Old June 27th 05, 10:47 PM
Steve

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, J L wrote:
>

>>Chrysler could very easily offer affordable cars. I don't believe the
>>profit margin would be big enough to satisfy the powers that be or the
>>Chrysler shareholders. Plymouth had the potential to be the Geo of the
>>Chrysler world catering to the basic transportation market. I want an
>>automobile with automatic, a/c, tilt & cruise. Not me being forced to
>>buy bundled & over inflated option packages that include things I'll
>>never use to get the things I do. Trucks come that way. Why not cars?

> Because that's not how the game's being played right now. With the Koreans
> selling toastermobiles loaded up with power everything, a zero-options car
> just doesn't have the power to sell any longer, as it seems.

Amen. The buying public is just stoopid enough to prefer a complete POS
Kia with a bazillion options including power nose-pickers, rather than
buy a very solidly engineered but stripped-down Neon or Focus for the
same price. People gotta have their power nose-pickers. Its the same
reason people go buy cheaply-made-in-China, noisy, 3-year lifespan
window A/C units from Home Repo because they have remote control, rather
than spend a little more on a much quiter and 4x longer-lasting
Freidrich from an independent retailer. The market is just absolutely
brimming with examples of how optioned-up/engineered-down is
(unfortunately) whipping well-engineered/optioned-down in sales these
days. Don't blame manufacturers for what BUYERS are driving them to!
Old June 27th 05, 11:08 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Steve wrote:

> > With the Koreans selling toastermobiles loaded up with power
> > everything, a zero-options car just doesn't have the power to sell any
> > longer, as it seems.

> Amen. The buying public is just stoopid enough to prefer a complete POS
> Kia with a bazillion options including power nose-pickers, rather than
> buy a very solidly engineered but stripped-down Neon or Focus for the
> same price.

For that matter, where's it written that only small/cheap cars can be
strippers? I have to wonder what might happen if DC were to market a
cloth-upholstered, manual-locks, manual-windows, toy-free, steel-wheel
variant of the 300/Magnum.

But what would they *name* such a car, though? Gosh, that'd be a toughie.
Plymouth Savoy...?
Old June 27th 05, 11:59 PM
Art

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Steve wrote:
>
>> > With the Koreans selling toastermobiles loaded up with power
>> > everything, a zero-options car just doesn't have the power to sell any
>> > longer, as it seems.

>> Amen. The buying public is just stoopid enough to prefer a complete POS
>> Kia with a bazillion options including power nose-pickers, rather than
>> buy a very solidly engineered but stripped-down Neon or Focus for the
>> same price.

> For that matter, where's it written that only small/cheap cars can be
> strippers? I have to wonder what might happen if DC were to market a
> cloth-upholstered, manual-locks, manual-windows, toy-free, steel-wheel
> variant of the 300/Magnum.
>
> But what would they *name* such a car, though? Gosh, that'd be a toughie.
> Plymouth Savoy...?

It would still be ugly.

On the other hand, if you buy the Charger or 300 with a 6, the bottom line
is incredibly low for what you get.

Old June 28th 05, 01:39 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> For that matter, where's it written that only small/cheap cars can be
> strippers? I have to wonder what might happen if DC were to market a
> cloth-upholstered, manual-locks, manual-windows, toy-free, steel-wheel
> variant of the 300/Magnum.

I was disappointed to learn you have to get leather seats to get a
Hemi in the Charger. My experience has been that there are very few
climates where leather upholstery is actually superior to cloth -- as
a matter of fact, I'm really just taking it on faith that there must
be one *someplace* since leather is regarded as up-market.

Cloth is definitely better anyplace that gets either hot or cold.
That was one thing that convinced us to get an Intrepid R/T rather
than a 300M: cloth seats.
skype: jjpfeifferjr