Lincoln vs Cadillac

Old May 2nd 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Lincoln vs Cadillac

Anumber1 wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> N8N > wrote:
>>> Eventually I believe people will figure out that an Escalade is simply
>>> a Yukon with some ugly bodywork and cheap leather seats, and adjust
>>> their purchases accordingly...

>> Of course. That's why Cadillac needs to have the Next Best Thing under
>> development right now, so that when this happens they'll have something
>> else to sell.
>>
>> If they don't have something else to sell when the Escalade fails in that
>> market, they are going to lose the momentum and then it'll take years to
>> get it back again. Which is what happened to Cadillac years earlier.
>> --scott
>>
>> Also, I think calling that plastic-coated hide "leather" is really
>> pushing
>> it....

> While not calling it "brilliant" the CTS (or whatever it's called) that
> comes with the 'Vette motor and 90% of a 'Vette's suspension is a good
> move.
>
> Put the premium engineering into a premium priced car.
>
> Now, they gotta put the premium engineering into a cheap car to save
> themselves.
>
> The Malibu is a start, but it has to get way more "Accord" to satisfy
> (IOW not feel as cheap as it is).
>
> Mid-Size GM sedans are total junk as is the (now dead) Trailblazer.
> Expensive for what you get and engineered to be junk in 5 years (just as
> you pay it off).

I think you're thinking of the XLR? I wouldn't mind having one of
those, but only if it's available in a stickshift. And I can't afford
it so it's irrelevant anyway.

I thought it was a shame that GM bothered to engineer a new I-6 just for
the Trailblazer and never saw fit to install it in a midsize coupe or
sedan...

I agree that recent GM products still look/feel cheap esp. compared to
the German competition, although they might actually drive acceptably.
Shame, that...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 2nd 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

Nate Nagel wrote:
> wrote:
>> In a roundabout way, many years ago, Cadillac got it's start from Henry
>> Ford.
>> cuhulin
>>

> I thought the connection was Leland, not Ford. (founder of both Caddy
> and Lincoln)

Both, actually, see
http://www.autoevolution.com/cadillac/history/ about
the sixth paragraph. As I heard (read) it, Ford was involved with the
Detroit Automobile Company but was such a perfectionist that he was
never satisfied with any of the cars they made and would never ship any.
The other investors got tired of it and sold the company which evolved
into Cadillac. Ford then started his own company and the rest, as they
say, is history...