question about the "damping mount" rubber on 97 Accord

Old March 26th 05, 11:03 PM

Default question about the "damping mount" rubber on 97 Accord

I have a 97 accord with about 140K miles.
I noticed under the hood the deterioration of rubber o-rings
on the damping mount of the suspension.

check out the pics
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/techma...37.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/techma...bc.jpg&.src=ph

The drivers side looks fine, but it hard as a rock
The passangers side is peeling and fraying, yet quite soft.
I plan on replacing both, just to be safe.
I also plan to do this on my own rather than spend $45 at the honda
dealer for an hour of labor.
The only thing I worry about is that when I undo the nut, that a bunch
of suspension parts are going to just fall out underneath. From the
service manual I have, it doesnt appear that this would happen. Perhaps
someone out there has a better idea.

Also:
Could the deterioration of these rubber rings on dampening mount cause
suspension noises and degrading ride quality?
I have been getting suspension noise every time I go over a speed bump.

Thanks

Old March 28th 05, 03:08 AM
jim beam

> I have a 97 accord with about 140K miles.
> I noticed under the hood the deterioration of rubber o-rings
> on the damping mount of the suspension.
>
> check out the pics

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/techma...37.jpg&.src=ph
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/techma...bc.jpg&.src=ph
>
> The drivers side looks fine, but it hard as a rock
> The passangers side is peeling and fraying, yet quite soft.
> I plan on replacing both, just to be safe.
> I also plan to do this on my own rather than spend $45 at the honda
> dealer for an hour of labor.
> The only thing I worry about is that when I undo the nut, that a bunch
> of suspension parts are going to just fall out underneath. From the
> service manual I have, it doesnt appear that this would happen. Perhaps
> someone out there has a better idea.
>
> Also:
> Could the deterioration of these rubber rings on dampening mount cause
> suspension noises and degrading ride quality?
> I have been getting suspension noise every time I go over a speed bump.
>
> Thanks

first, those look like aftermarket shocks, not oem, so it's likely that
bushing was damaged when they were changed or even the wrong ones put
back on. i've never seen a shock bushing damaged like that unless the
shock's siezed. thinking about it, it could also be something to do
with the compression washer underneath. a lot of aftermarket shocks do
not use washers that are strong enough & i would be worried that these
weak version would fatigue & break - potentially causing excess travel &
those symptoms.

as sean says, do _not_ remove that nut unless you have the tools to sort
out any problems. much better you take the shock/coil assembly off and
use a proper spring compressor. beware that honda springs are tight
coils & not all standard compressors fit. i mean it.

yes, deterioration could lead to noise - probably as a symptom of
another defect. make sure you inspect all the other suspension
components carefully while you have the shock/coil assembly out. the
job is quite easy if you have the correct compressor. if you don't, you
could loose an eye &/or about 10lbs in sweat. neither justify not
getting the right tool.