Convertible Roll over bars - windshield frame

Old January 17th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

Default Convertible Roll over bars - windshield frame

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:43:07 GMT, "Dennis" > wrote:

>>>We had the same problem on our 04 Sebring.
>>>Took it to the local dealer and he adjusted the top to fit down over the
>>>drivers window a little tighter.
>>>No leaks since.
>>>

>> Thanks for the response. Does anyone know how this adjustment is done?
>> Is it in the top latches or something in the folding frame top?

>Don't know for certain, I know he made the adjustment on the front where the
>top joins the roll-over bar and I believe he mentioned that there was a
>second adjustment made which moved the top, forwards & backwards. As it was
>under warrantee, I wasn't really listening.
>
>Dennis

is that windshield frame a roll over bar? I remember in the 70's
the convertibles had a roll over bar - then I don't see them any
more much. The roll over bar was that a law or just a owner installed
extra?

Old January 17th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

No, a windshield frame will not protect in a turn over.
The roll bars have not been a law. Due to pressure from the media, Jeep
put them in. Some cars like the Mercedes have a automatic pop up roll
bar. Some are optional from dealers and some are owner installed.

Old January 18th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

OT: About the jeep rollbar ... I have seen one collapsed a few years
back when the roll occurred at highway speed ... the driver was killed.
I keep meaning to look into this ... perhaps someone has info on "to
what speed" those jeep rollbars are good to.

Old January 18th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

Mr.X wrote:

>>>Thanks for the response. Does anyone know how this adjustment is done?
>>>Is it in the top latches or something in the folding frame top?

>>Don't know for certain, I know he made the adjustment on the front where the
>>top joins the roll-over bar and I believe he mentioned that there was a
>>second adjustment made which moved the top, forwards & backwards. As it was
>>under warrantee, I wasn't really listening.
>>
>>Dennis
>>

> is that windshield frame a roll over bar? I remember in the 70's
> the convertibles had a roll over bar - then I don't see them any
> more much. The roll over bar was that a law or just a owner installed
> extra?

Most of them were factory-installed placebos. They weren't tested or
rated for rollover protection, but they "looked" safer than a completely
open car.

Even the Viper R/T 10s "halo bar" over the rear window wasn't
technically called a "roll bar" because that would have opened up too
many legal worm cans if someone were to be killed in a rollover. It was
at least engineered to give *some* protection, most of the others weren't.

And by the way- you'd be surprised how little protection a full roof
gives in a rollover sometimes...

Old January 18th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

Steve > writes:

> Most of them were factory-installed placebos. They weren't tested or
> rated for rollover protection, but they "looked" safer than a
> completely open car.
>
> Even the Viper R/T 10s "halo bar" over the rear window wasn't
> technically called a "roll bar" because that would have opened up too
> many legal worm cans if someone were to be killed in a rollover. It
> was at least engineered to give *some* protection, most of the others
> weren't.

Interesting -- I had thought there were some liability cases that
established that anything that looked like a roll bar needed to
function as one, and calling it a light rack or something wouldn't
help... (note the conspicuous lack of cites here, of course).
skype: jjpfeifferjr
Old January 18th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

"ferretkona" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> No, a windshield frame will not protect in a turn over.
> The roll bars have not been a law. Due to pressure from the media, Jeep
> put them in.

Due to their poor performance in rollover tests, I believe !!!

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old January 18th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

Jeep never put a 'roll bar' into any stock product I am aware of. They
put a 'sport' bar in that works very well for off road slow speed roll
overs or tip overs.

Even so most serious off roaders modify the sport bar and anchor it to
the frame instead of just the body tub like it comes stock. This
increases the strength. Lots make real roll cages too.

I have my 'sport' bar tagged to my frame.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 18th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

"Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> Steve > writes:
> >
> > Most of them were factory-installed placebos. They weren't tested or
> > rated for rollover protection, but they "looked" safer than a
> > completely open car.
> >
> > Even the Viper R/T 10s "halo bar" over the rear window wasn't
> > technically called a "roll bar" because that would have opened up too
> > many legal worm cans if someone were to be killed in a rollover. It
> > was at least engineered to give *some* protection, most of the others
> > weren't.

> Interesting -- I had thought there were some liability cases that
> established that anything that looked like a roll bar needed to
> function as one, and calling it a light rack or something wouldn't
> help... (note the conspicuous lack of cites here, of course).
> --
> Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
> Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
> New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
> skype: jjpfeifferjr

Just for reference, my 1996 Chevy extended cab pickup has a (don't remember
the exact name of the option) "hinged panel" and not a 3rd door. This was
the first year Chevy put the 3rd door in the truck and the design didn't
meet the standards for a "door" (I think relative to crush strength and
such) so they couldn't call it a door. Maybe "roll bar" has a legal
definition and standard.

Old January 18th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

"And by the way- you'd be surprised how little protection a full roof
gives in a rollover sometimes... "

Especially when the windshield pops out- its a structural member.
(I couldn't believe that when I first heard it...)

Dave

Old January 18th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.tech

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Steve > writes:
>
>>Most of them were factory-installed placebos. They weren't tested or
>>rated for rollover protection, but they "looked" safer than a
>>completely open car.
>>
>>Even the Viper R/T 10s "halo bar" over the rear window wasn't
>>technically called a "roll bar" because that would have opened up too
>>many legal worm cans if someone were to be killed in a rollover. It
>>was at least engineered to give *some* protection, most of the others
>>weren't.

> Interesting -- I had thought there were some liability cases that
> established that anything that looked like a roll bar needed to
> function as one, and calling it a light rack or something wouldn't
> help... (note the conspicuous lack of cites here, of course).

Maybe that's why they called it a 'halo' bar. I don't honestly know, but
I did just read a passage in a book about the fact that there was an
internal argument between some guys at Chrysler over whether to include
it or not. One camp thought that it detracted from a clean top-down
look. The guy who prevailed was the one who had a had actual experience
with building limited-production high-performance vehicles before, and
felt that it was necessary because it offered some level of protection,
and given the type of car there *would* be single car incidents that
wound up with the wheels in the air. he must've seen Kelsey Grammer's
name on the waiting list... :-)

roll bars dave Mazda 13 December 26th 05 07:23 PM
Don't buy a honda after year 2k? Sam Steele Honda 55 December 18th 04 11:11 PM
SIX POINT ROLL CAGE for Neon (No reserve) on eBay Myname Dodge 0 August 22nd 04 05:51 AM