Rust holes

Old July 27th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_2_]

Default Rust holes

ray wrote:
> enginerd477 wrote:
>> I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I went away to school for the
>> winter and my parents drove my car while i was gone.

> A 99 with rust already? Yikes. I find this interesting because I'm in
> the market for a sedan and I've looked at a couple of 01-03 GTP's and
> found rust spots on them as well. The wife's 90 Beretta is now only
> starting to get rust around the wheelwells, so I'm shocked to find rust
> on a car less than 10 years old. Although it's still a zillion percent
> better than any car from the 70's, of which I've owned a few.
>
> Ray
> (wondering if all Grand Prixs of that vintage have rust issues...)

Go look at new vehicles on the lot. I have seen rust spots on '06 vehicles.

Old July 27th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

"enginerd477" > wrote in
ups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> Those residing in the eastern Canadian provinces are blessed with the
>> presence of the Rust Check and Krown chains, which provide the very best
>> rust preventative treatment the world has ever seen.

> Do you know if this Rust Check and Krown chains are available in the
> USA or are they shop in Canada? Do you have any idea what they use for
> rust prevention.

http://www.krown.com/
http://www.rustcheck.com/

The stuff is thin and drippy. Makes quite a mess, but works better than
anything else on the market. Needs to be reapplied every year.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 27th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

Steve W. wrote:
> ray wrote:
>> enginerd477 wrote:
>>> I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I went away to school for the
>>> winter and my parents drove my car while i was gone.

>> A 99 with rust already? Yikes. I find this interesting because I'm
>> in the market for a sedan and I've looked at a couple of 01-03 GTP's
>> and found rust spots on them as well. The wife's 90 Beretta is now
>> only starting to get rust around the wheelwells, so I'm shocked to
>> find rust on a car less than 10 years old. Although it's still a
>> zillion percent better than any car from the 70's, of which I've owned
>> a few.
>>
>> Ray
>> (wondering if all Grand Prixs of that vintage have rust issues...)

> Go look at new vehicles on the lot. I have seen rust spots on '06 vehicles.

> News==----
> Newsgroups

like what kinds? I've seen a lot of orange peel and cars that don't
hold up to three years of "use", but not a lot of rust. (Haven't looked
underneath too many cars yet, just doing the quick comparos so far.)

I thought I was rough on cars, then I look at these 02's and 03's and
they look like hell on the inside. 130,000 miles on a three year old
car... stuff like that. Now I know why I used to buy beaters... when
you were paying $300 for a car, if it started 90% of the time and wasn't
too rusted you considered that a good deal...

Ray
Old July 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

enginerd477 wrote:
> I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I went away to school for the
> winter and my parents drove my car while i was gone. They don't take
> good care of it because when i got home i found two small holes, one on
> either rocker panel. I have had rust before and used a rust converter
> and repainted the rust spots but its keeps coming back, but now it's
> even worse. I have to fix the rust before I head back to school
> because I am taking my car with me and my dad says that it won't pass
> inspection with the rust spots. I am planning on getting rid of the
> the car in two years when i get out of school and use it for a trade-in
> so i want the car to be in the best condition it can so i can get the
> most money. I was wondering what the easiest way to fix the holes
> right now would be and any measures i can take to prevent the rust from
> occuring again. I live in New England so we are prone to rust.
> Thanks for any help or advice.
>
> -Scott

Metal foil duct tape-
Spray paint-
Inspection, $15.

Rust holes in NY are on the inspection list in case there is a
structural issue, or in case exhaust gas entry is allowed.

It would likely pass with a fair-sized hole in the rocker.

CT on the other hand...

Dave (former NYS veeehicle inspector)

Old July 30th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Daryl Bryant" > wrote in message

> "enginerd477" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I went away to school for the
> > winter and my parents drove my car while i was gone. They don't take
> > good care of it because when i got home i found two small holes, one on
> > either rocker panel.

> What's a rocker panel??

The British call them sills. They are the panels below the doors.

In Britain, if they are rusted out, you have to cut them out and weld in
new metal. AFAIK, most of them are decorative, but I have seen some
that lend structural integrity to the chassis, I suppose.

Here in the USA, most people would laugh at you if you got too concerned
about rocker panel rust.