Need advise on approaching an ECU design project.

Old July 9th 08, 11:19 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Default Need advise on approaching an ECU design project.

Hello All,

I'm not sure if my question is relevant to this group. If not, please
guide me.

I'm interested in learning and building an engine injection control
system. I have access to electronics companies who can design as per
theory given.

Specifically this is what I want to do: design a lambda controller
(ECU) that will function in three ways

1. either it will control an actuator valve and thereby control fuel
flow
2. or it will control firing timing of third party injector rail
valves (retrofitted after purchase of vehicle), thereby controlling
fuel flow.
3. it would also help to advance firing of third party injector rail

The inputs to the system shall be RPM, Lambda voltage from a sensor,
TPS(?), Injector firing signals.

My question is how do I approach this project? Where can I find theory
(specifically engine control) that will help me build this system?

The final goals are to have good vehicle mileage and the vehicle must
pass the EURO III emission norms.

Any detail / expert advise would help.

Thanks
Mikshah.

Old July 9th 08, 09:46 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Engine controlers have been around for 30 years. There are huge teams
of people working on them who likely have most of those 30 years of
experience and they have resources to allow for expensive failures.
They are constantly trying new pathways, design ideas and programming
along side mechanical engineers.

Sounds like you attemting to reinvent the wheel. Why not go to a
local bone yard and pick up a few controlers, get wiring diags and
follow what each circuit does. Maybe if you have an idea that's
workable and an improvement over that last 30 yrs, you can get an
entry level job in the field. They may start you off be letting you
sweep their floors. Don't let that discourage you.

Old July 11th 08, 05:12 PM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

On Jul 9, 3:19 am, wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm not sure if my question is relevant to this group. If not, please
> guide me.
>
> I'm interested in learning and building an engine injection control
> system. I have access to electronics companies who can design as per
> theory given.

> Any detail / expert advise would help.
>
> Thanks

Look up MegaSquirt on the web.
It uses off the shelf components, as well as readily available
junkyard parts to do just what you want.
It is cheap and proven.
HTH,
Ben
Old August 24th 08, 11:39 AM posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Mikshah,

Have a look at this link :

http://www.sae.org/servlets/otherPro... SUCCESS=TRUE

Also, my project FreeEMS is along the same lines as you want but not
copyrighted and patented and therefore restricted like MegaSquirt
systems are.

You can find info on FreeEMS at www.diyefi.org and the source and
schematics available so far can be had from the sourceforge site
here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeEMS

Feel free to sign up the forum at diyefi.org and have a big long
read :-)

Regards,