How does 4x4 really work

Old January 9th 05, 11:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

What have you heard that was good about a Subaru?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 9th 05, 11:58 PM
Patrick

Some consumer rating
Subaru : 8.3/10
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...x?modelid=2640

Jeep :8.2/10
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...3&src=vip#Engi

These are user rating and not Manufacture or journalist.

The only thing is Subaru are expensive to fix while jeep is not very costy
$$$

they have a good reputation around here however, better than AUDI$$$$$$$$

news: ...

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 10th 05, 12:03 AM
Jim Y.

Actually I had a similar experience with my Grand Cherokee Laredo
(Selectrac).

We've had a big snowstorm last week, so main streets are just wet, but
side streets, alleys and parking lots can be snow covered.

One thing I've noticed for me anyway, is both Part Time and Full Time
4x4 do not seem to "fully engage" unless I'm rolling.

Why do I say that? On two occassions yesterday, the back wheels were
slipping (once in an alley and the other as I tried to break into
traffic from a snow covered parking lot driveway). I slipped, traffic
was bearing down, I went into reverse to pull the vehicle back. Shifted
to Drive, then put on Part Time 4x4 (light on) and tried again. Again,
rear wheels slipped. So I waited for the red light to halt incoming
traffic. :-) As I drove away I could feel it engage, in a few seconds.

Later that night I cut through an alley, started to slip, and put on
the Part Time again. Initially the rear wheels continued to slip, then
after like 30 feet, I could "feel" the 4x4 in the steering wheel, and
then it gripped the snow.

I have a friend who has a Wrangler. I've been in it when we were stuck.
Pull it into Part Time and it engages immediately.

Someone please tell me on Grand Cherokees with Selectrac (Part Time and
Full Time), why does it seem like you have to be rolling for it to
engage? I had it for a few years and it's always been that way.

Jim

That begs the question: If I'm truly stuck and bogged down, will I be
able to

Old January 10th 05, 12:40 AM
Patrick

I usually put the tranny in Neutral engage then reverse and then drive an
it's engage.
easier to unlock in reverse too. otherwise engage drive and within a few
meter it will engage ! Why ??i have no answer.. !! BILL ?

Seem that the fulltime is better in driving mode that when stuck too. ?

I have 4 seasons tire however.
http://www.etires.com/tireSpec.jsp?specID=2279

Pat

Old January 10th 05, 12:58 AM
SteveBrady

It probably says in your manual that you need to be rolling for it to
engage. Remember that gear teeth have to engage and can do that easier when
the gears are moving.

My manual says I'm to be rolling a few kph.

m...

Old January 10th 05, 01:01 AM
Tom T

I hope he has a clean shop rag handy ! ! !
Tom T

Old January 10th 05, 01:33 AM
Mike Romain

That must be something in the t-case that takes vacuum or time to change
state.

With the Wranglers and old CJ's, the shift is instant. The YJ's and
early Cherokees were vacuum lock on the front wheels and act like you
describe.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 10th 05, 01:36 AM
Mike Romain

Not all 'full time' or AWD drives are even close to the same
technologies!

'Limited slips' come into the transfer cases and diffs, dual trannies or
drives, all kinds of things can be used.

99% of the vehicle performance is the driver....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 10th 05, 01:48 AM
Mike Romain

You can shift a Jeep into and out of 4x4 high at any legal speed. They
started 'shift on the fly' back with the CJ's....

For 4x4 low, it still shifts better when going 2-3 mph for the reason
given below.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 10th 05, 03:04 PM

That's hysterical
Thanks for the laugh
TrailMarker

Best Home Base Work Reynard 4x4 0 November 10th 04 02:27 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Chrysler 0 November 10th 04 12:51 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Antique cars 0 November 9th 04 04:36 PM