Parts from a 93 GC same on a 96 GC

Old April 28th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Parts from a 93 GC same on a 96 GC

My v8 96 ZJ needs 2 parts and I'd like to know if anyone knows if they're
interchangable with the ones from a v6 96 that's available.

1) The driver door electric lock (motor I guess):
only sometimes operates the lock, and when it does move the lock, the lock
only slides half-way or less.. Sometimes that's just enough to engage or
disengage the lock, sometimes it's not, and I have to then use the key to
lock, or unlock the door manually.

I've never looked at my motor, but I assume that it's "going", since the
physical lock mechanism seems to manually move just fine (no particular
unusual resistance there).

2) The oil level sensor (screws into the side of the oil pan):
There's a slight leak from mine. The 96 doesn't have a VIC in the center like
my 93, just the LED for the 4 wheel drive mode. I don't even know if the 96
has an oil level sensor since I haven't yet looked.

Thanks.

Old April 28th 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

typo, mine is the 93.

Old April 28th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

jimboe via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:
> My v8 96 ZJ needs 2 parts and I'd like to know if anyone knows if they're
> interchangable with the ones from a v6 96 that's available.
>
> 1) The driver door electric lock (motor I guess):
> only sometimes operates the lock, and when it does move the lock, the lock
> only slides half-way or less.. Sometimes that's just enough to engage or
> disengage the lock, sometimes it's not, and I have to then use the key to
> lock, or unlock the door manually.

94-98
It's a whole motor/lock assembly and not cheap. $109 or abouts for a new one.
You might get lucky and clean it, but I've had mixed results with the rear
door motor.

> I've never looked at my motor, but I assume that it's "going", since the
> physical lock mechanism seems to manually move just fine (no particular
> unusual resistance there).

It's full of dirt. There was a TSB but no recall to my knowledge.

> 2) The oil level sensor (screws into the side of the oil pan):
> There's a slight leak from mine. The 96 doesn't have a VIC in the center like
> my 93, just the LED for the 4 wheel drive mode. I don't even know if the 96
> has an oil level sensor since I haven't yet looked.

That's not a cheap doodad.
ECHFLS102 from NAPA and it's $56.99

Also the same between 94-98

Be careful with it, the end bit is very sensitive and can
be damaged by crushing.

The good thing it's only an idiot light and can be ignored.
Make sure it's not something else dripping on it or that the
gasket isn't loose.

--
DougW

Old April 29th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Are the doors the same color? If not, do you care? What I am leading up
to, is swap the whole door, and save yourself a headache.

Earle

Old May 1st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Doug, so you're saying my 93 has an incompatible door-motor-locking mechanism
than what is in the 6 cyl 96 that I have access to at salvage? (It's the
front driver side BTW, not the rear).

As far as the oil level sender goes (and the oil pan in general), I just
changed the gasket and cleaned the pan out (which incidentally fixed my
erratic oil pressure gauge readings which would "bounce" around from top to
bottom-- now my readings are stable between 40 and 60 or so).

The leak I referred to in the OP is definately from the sender itself and no
where else. Perhaps one drop over night and that all. Just a nuisance.

Earle, the door's are a different color, (and somewhat different cofig's also,
in and out), so I'd rather do the work to fix/replace the lock motor
mechanism.

Hopefully, what Doug said about the lock motor mechanism simply being filled
with dirt and impeding the movement some of the time is the problem and I can
just clean it out. We'll see.

Old May 1st 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

jimboe via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:
> Doug, so you're saying my 93 has an incompatible door-motor-locking mechanism
> than what is in the 6 cyl 96 that I have access to at salvage? (It's the
> front driver side BTW, not the rear).

You could write these folks http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
or call 888-528-2200 and the parts desk can look them up for you.

I show a different part for 93 than 94... however, I have a 93 and there
are parts on mine that are from the 94 production run. The only way to
tell for certain is to take the door off and get the number from the part.
(all parts have painted or stamped numbers on them)

Oh.. and when you do, you will probably break some of those plastic push
thingies. The dealer wants way too much for them. I bought a bag-o-50
from http://www.thecliplink.com/ ..ignore the Jeep part and use the
18915 http://store.thecliplink.com/18915.html It's the same dang part
but less$$. They do have a minimum purchase though. I just got clips
for the bumpers, trim, etc. Now I don't care if I break one taking
things apart. Oh, and the screw inserts, 19276.

> As far as the oil level sender goes (and the oil pan in general), I just
> changed the gasket and cleaned the pan out (which incidentally fixed my
> erratic oil pressure gauge readings which would "bounce" around from top to
> bottom-- now my readings are stable between 40 and 60 or so).

The pressure sender is by the oil filter and generally cleaning the connector
fixes most problems. 40-60 stable sounds ok. A new sender can be had from
NAPA Part# OP6695 $37.50, if you get a military discount (or jobber discount)
it's a few bucks cheaper.
http://revbeergoggles.com/Fixes/diag...r-oil-pressure

My ZJ was running about 60-70 steady (too high, but related to a bad sender)
Replaced it a few weeks ago and everything is nice and even now.

> The leak I referred to in the OP is definately from the sender itself and no
> where else. Perhaps one drop over night and that all. Just a nuisance.

Zip tie and a piece of cloth?

--
DougW

Repair Fraud? basva Technology 65 October 9th 05 11:26 PM
1991 BMW 535i for sale or parts - wrecked.. Robert S. BMW 0 December 5th 04 05:04 AM
F.S. RUST FREE 80's BLAZER,PICKUP PARTS, in NH, ME (Military) MilitaryTruckParts 4x4 2 March 27th 04 06:49 PM