Drive car without keyfob?

Old May 17th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
John Verheul

Default Drive car without keyfob?

I just bought a used 2005 VUE that has the anti theft package. Is
there a way to open up and drive the car without disarming the alarm
using the keyfob? There are times I'm at athletic events and carrying
the keyfob with me would be...annoying. This is my first car with any
sort of alarm or keyfob.

I'm also waiting on a manual, that's why I'm asking here...otherwise
I'd just RTFM.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 20th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Sure there is, just do not turn your alarm on! If your VUE is like my
L-300 you can just lock all the doors from the inside, and then just
take the key to lock, and unlock, the drivers side door. Of course you
will not have the security alarm on, but you can always get a "club"
like I have. Who pays any attention to "car alarms" these days anyway?
If you hear one, 10 times out of 10, it is because the owner tripped the
alarm!

Old May 20th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

wrote:
> Sure there is, just do not turn your alarm on! If your VUE is like my
> L-300 you can just lock all the doors from the inside, and then just
> take the key to lock, and unlock, the drivers side door. Of course you
> will not have the security alarm on, but you can always get a "club"
> like I have.

Oh geez, of all the security devices available, the club ranks below
siren-only alarms in effectiveness.

"Widely advertised, this device is probably the best known anti theft
product on the market today. But as demonstrated on CBS' American
Journal, a car thief using a hacksaw can cut through the vehicle's
steering wheel and remove The Club in just 22 seconds! The program also
demonstrated how a thief can spray "freon" into the locking mechanism of
The Club, hit the now - frozen lock with a hammer, and shatter it like
glass, enabling him to remove The Club. In addition, there is a device
called the Club Buster, which will break The Club and AutoLock devices
in 60 seconds. The Club Buster is intended for locksmiths, tow truck
operators, and auto repossession professionals, but any thief can buy it
over the internet right now for $93." See "http://www.clubbuster.com/".

> Who pays any attention to "car alarms" these days anyway?
> If you hear one, 10 times out of 10, it is because the owner tripped the
> alarm!

The verbal alarm isn't what's useful, it's the disabling of the ignition
system. The factory alarms often tie directly into the computer, rather
than simply a relay on the starter. The after-market systems are more
easily bypassed. If you really want to be protected, install a system
that also cuts off the fuel supply.
Old May 21st 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default Drive car without keyfob? SMS

The thing with the Club is not how secure it is it is the fact that it
is on the steering wheel. If you were a theif, and you saw two cars one
with a Club on it, and one without one, which car are you going to go
after? Even though a club may be compromised in a few minutes, or
seconds that is still time that the theif does not want to spend
stealing a car. And a lot of car theives do not carry around a Hack Saw,
or Freon! In fact a news station in my area did a story on car theives,
and they talked to a former car thief, and he said he never went after
cars that had the club on them because of the time factor, A car theif
wants to be gone as soon as possible. And taking the time to disable a
Club is never a good idea, when you are breaking the Law!

Old May 21st 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

"SMS" > wrote in message

> The audio alarm isn't what's useful, it's the disabling of the ignition
> system. The factory alarms often tie directly into the computer, rather
> than simply a relay on the starter. The after-market systems are more
> easily bypassed. If you really want to be protected, install a system that
> also cuts off the fuel supply.

Most folks with alarm systems seemingly don't care if the alarm goes off (or
purposely trip it) as they open the car. I view it as being rude and about
the same level of annoyance as having someone fart in a full express
elevator (with 20 floors to go). Beyond this, it desensitizes everyone else
to the alarm going off. If it's an every-day occurrence, why bother looking
when one goes off.

Me, I get embarrassed when I accidentally trip the panic button and the horn
starts beeping.

Old May 21st 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

wrote:
> The thing with the Club is not how secure it is it is the fact that it
> is on the steering wheel. If you were a theif, and you saw two cars one
> with a Club on it, and one without one, which car are you going to go
> after?

The one that I could part out for more money.

Theft rates are based on many factors, but two of the major factors is
the demand for body parts from body shops (both in the U.S. and
overseas), and the demand for the entire car in Mexico, Central and
South America, and Asia. So-called "world cars" have high theft rates
because the parts are often interchangeable on similar models all around
the world. Cars that tend to be in a lot of minor accidents generate a
lot of demand for body parts.

I remember reading an article in 1999 when I was in Florida about the
top stolen cars for south Florida, and was surprised that the Saturn S
series was very high on the list (#3 IIRC). This was because the Saturn
was very popular among elderly drivers that tended to be involved in a
lot of fender benders in parking lots, and other low speed crashes.
Since you couldn't really repair the polymer panels, there was a big
demand for replacement panels.

It's possible that a thief would prefer a vehicle with an easily
defeatable security device, rather than taking the chance that the other
vehicle would have some real security device such as an ignition
cut-off, fuel cut-off, Lo-Jack, etc.