07 ION 3?

Old September 24th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default 07 ION 3?

Really? I couldn't find it in my '07 ION.3 manual either. Could you please
tell me what page states that there is synthetic oil from the factory in
IONs ? TIA

--
marx404

news

Old September 24th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

OK, here it is, on page 287 of the '07 ION Owners Manual,

"Your vehicle's engine is filled at the factory with a synthetic oil which
meets all requirements for your vehicle."

Interesting as only the 2.4L and 2.0 require synth oil afterwards. However,
most manufacturers DO place synth from the factory for the break in period
at the factory, ex: Nissan.

Thanks for that bit o info BE, good catch, I gotta RTFM some more :-)

--
marx404

Old September 24th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

OK, <wiping egg from face>

Again, I (we) need to RTFM more carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ahem, BE, and
me...)

Page 287 says that the engine has synth from the factory, er.... duh.... pg
286 says specifically "For Vehicles with the 2.0L L4 Supercharged Engine
Only."

--
marx404

Old September 24th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BE[_2_]

"marx404" > wrote in message

Got it...

Old September 24th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist

I agree with you Bassplayer12. The engine had 36,000 miles on it since a
rebuild before I switched to Amzoil. Three months later #5 main bearing
failed and took the #4 rod bearing with it. It survived 36,000 miles
with its flaw on conventional oil. I feel it would have continued to run
if I would have used Mobil1 instead of Amzoil.

--
Gyz

07 Saturn Sky
98 Dodge Status ES
94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Old September 24th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

> "BE" > wrote in message ...
>> Hi all, I just leased an 07 ION 3 (wife has an 06) and was wondering at what mileage the 1st oil/filter change should
>> be? I plan on using Mobile 1 like the wife's.
>>
>> Thanks.

"Bassplayer12" > wrote in message ...
>I have an 07 ION 2 and asked the same question to the service mgr at my local Saturn dealer, this past week.
> They said that the 1st oil change should be done when "oil change" light comes on. Even if it is around 12-14,000 kms.
> I had 10,6XX kms and asked if it was ok to do an oil change right away and put Mobil 1. Answer was yes and I did it.
> Long gone are the days when the 1st oil change was be done after only a few hundred miles. Materials used to build
> engines are so superior nowadays that it is not necessary anymore. So they say.

It was explained to me (admittedly long ago and by a service station employee in whose interest it was to get people
to change oil) that the machining done on the engine in the factory leaves small pieces of debris, so an oil change very
early in the engine's life is a worthwhile investment.
Since the cost of an oil change is so minimal compared to the damage done if oil changes are too infrequent, I would
go for erring on the side of too frequent oil changes rather than too few.

Old September 25th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Steve" m> wrote in message
>> "BE" > wrote in message
>>> Hi all, I just leased an 07 ION 3 (wife has an 06) and was wondering at
>>> what mileage the 1st oil/filter change should be? I plan on using
>>> Mobile 1 like the wife's.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

> "Bassplayer12" > wrote in message
>>I have an 07 ION 2 and asked the same question to the service mgr at my
>>local Saturn dealer, this past week.
>> They said that the 1st oil change should be done when "oil change" light
>> comes on. Even if it is around 12-14,000 kms.
>> I had 10,6XX kms and asked if it was ok to do an oil change right away
>> and put Mobil 1. Answer was yes and I did it.
>> Long gone are the days when the 1st oil change was be done after only a
>> few hundred miles. Materials used to build engines are so superior
>> nowadays that it is not necessary anymore. So they say.

> It was explained to me (admittedly long ago and by a service station
> employee in whose interest it was to get people to change oil) that the
> machining done on the engine in the factory leaves small pieces of debris,
> so an oil change very early in the engine's life is a worthwhile
> investment.
> Since the cost of an oil change is so minimal compared to the damage
> done if oil changes are too infrequent, I would go for erring on the side
> of too frequent oil changes rather than too few.

As someone who works in the manufacturing field designing gearboxes, I can
tell you part of what you say is true, the other I don't agree with
completely...

Parts, esp. those with tight tolerances, are thoroughly cleaned (usually in
baths) after manufacturing/machining so chances of debris sitting in the
engine after machining are very low. However, what does happen is that as
the parts are "run in", they will shed very fine particles. I work in
aerospace, and not automotive, but I would assume they do the same as us and
do a limited run-in of assemblies and/or components at the factory.
However, even with all the advancements in engineering, manufacturing, oil,
etc, etc., the final product does not see real life conditions until it gets
to you. Several components like the drivetrain for example, are mixed and
matched to different engines, tranny's and rears/diffs, put in different
configurations and vehicles, operate under different loads, environments,
etc. that are not simulated in the limited run in of a production unit
(prototypes are a different animal altogether), so I do thoroughly agree
with you that a early fluid change or two is a worth the investment after
you've run-in the whole assembly (vehicle), in your environment (driving
habits, terrain, load, temps, etc...)

IYM