'94 Accord. Engine Surging

Old March 22nd 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '94 Accord. Engine Surging

94 Accord 2.0i. Engine is surging between 1000rpm and 2000rpm when
stationary or the clutch is dipped when driving. Engine light has not
come on and there appear to be no fault codes present. Otherwise, the
car drives perfectly ok.

Any suggestions? Failing lambda sensor perhaps?

Please help....this is the mother in law's car and it would make my
life much more peaceful as well as earning major brownie points with
the wife!!

Matt
Old March 22nd 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

How about you take that advertisement crap out of the bottom of your
post?

And it sounds to be your IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) located on the
back of throttle body, extending onto the intake manifold. When those
go bad, the idle tends to surge like you're speaking of. If that's not
it, try bleeding the coolant.

This has happened to me quite a few times, and everytime it has been
either the IACV, or coolant needed bleeding.

Good luck with it.

-Wes

--
ZedEx
ZedEx's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=182686

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old March 23rd 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Why bleeding the coolant? Are you saying air in the coolant would
make
engine stalling or rough idling? why?

Old March 26th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

If you have air in your coolant system, gaps in the coolant if you will,
when that air flows through the IACV, it causes the idle to drop. When I
had my IACV not attached to anything when I had ITBs (Individual
Throttle Bodies) on the Civic, the idle was horrible. We made a plate
to bolt it to that sealed it off properly, and the idle returned to
normal.

When we reinstalled the normal manifold (ITBs aren't too good for daily
driver, I learned this the hard way.) and we had everything back to how
it should be, the idle was still sparatic. After about 10 seconds of
bleeding, the idle returned to normal idle.

Hope that answers your question.

-Wes