YJ SPEEDOMETER DOESN'T WORK +

Old October 17th 05, 05:48 PM
rc

Default YJ SPEEDOMETER DOESN'T WORK +

Hello All,
I need a little help. I have a 94 wrangler...the speedometer is "dead"
most of the time. It does work on occasion. Any advice with what could
be ailing it?

Also, (not sure if related), when I turn my headlight switch on, the
lights do turn on as advertised, however, the speedometer light does
not come on AND both turn signal and high beam indicators are
illuminated. I changed out the light switch, no help.

Any advice on my issues? Thanks for the help.

rc

Old October 17th 05, 07:42 PM
yjarray

Sounds like you've got an electric problem.

The speedo is electronic, not mechanical, so that could affect it.

>From all the symptoms, I would guess that you've got a bad ground

connection (power flowing through separate circuits that share a
ground).

Old October 17th 05, 08:34 PM
Mike Romain

I am thinking grounds....

Your main ground strap is from the back of the engine head to the
firewall. When it goes bad strange things can happen.

There are some other grounds on the side of the engine near the oil dip
stick.

I am not sure where the dash ground hooks up but it is suspect too.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 18th 05, 12:27 PM
rc

Thanks guys. I will check all the grounds that I can find.

Old October 26th 05, 01:20 PM
rc

I'm, BAAACK! I checked the grounds on the right side of vehicle
(battery side) and all seem to be intact and fine. The engine to fire
wall ground is good. I couldn't locate the instrument cluster ground.
I pulled the instrument cluster off and checked the circuit "board" on
back....all circuits looked good, no breaks. All vehicle lights are
working. Any other suggestions?

rc

Old October 26th 05, 02:55 PM
Greg

Have you cleaned the contacts on the plug on the transfer case end, my
daughter's YJ speedo quits all the time and she just unplugs and plugs back
in a couple times and it works for another couple months, I keep telling her
to clean in properly, but she must like climbing under there a lot.

oups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 06:14 PM
rc

greg,
i will try that. thanks

Repair Fraud? basva Technology 65 October 9th 05 11:26 PM
How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising SEVIL INCE Alfa Romeo 0 October 8th 05 09:56 AM
How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising SEVIL INCE Alfa Romeo 0 October 8th 05 09:40 AM
How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising SEVIL INCE Alfa Romeo 0 October 8th 05 09:29 AM
speedometer cruise not working taillight Saturn 1 October 13th 04 08:37 AM