Some details of the 2AZ-FE engine

Old August 1st 08, 05:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Steve[_1_]

Default Some details of the 2AZ-FE engine

>How may car owners ever use the automatic transmission dip stick?

All of them with half a brain.

How often do you actually add ENGINE oil? I never need to between
changes, but I still CHECK it weekly. Same with the transmission fluid.
The whole idea of maintenance is to CATCH a potential problem before it
becomes costly. Eliminating the transmission dipstick pretty much
guarantees a low-fluid failure will ultimately destroy the transmission,
be it at 10,000 miles or 200,000 miles.

Old August 1st 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Dyno wrote:
> Steve wrote:

> How minuscule are we talking about here?
> Sample base circle load calc:
> Oil Pr : 60 psi
> Adjuster Dia: 0.30 in
> # Valves: 16 (4 cylinder)
> 60 psi x pi*(.15^2)*16 = 68 lbs is small? Maybe it is, but it certainly
> is more than ~0.

The base circle pressure doesn't matter if itdoesn't introduce any added
friction, and with today's roller followers it just doesnt.

> I don't think this is negligible. And detailed engine friction studies
> have verified the reduced friction using mechanical lash systems.
>
>> 2) With roller followers cam followers, adding base circle pressure
>> doesn't increase friction much at all. That's one big reason they're
>> used- far far lower friction than flat lifters from base circle all
>> the way to full lift. And of course they can follow a lobe profile
>> with a much sharper ramp rate so that you can get long duration
>> without excessive overlap.

> Agreed, roller followers are in a different category and do have low
> friction. But, they are costly and tend to be relatively bulky.

Yet they are virtually universally used! There's no point having a
raging debate about slider followers, it would be like arguing the
advantages of going back to drum brakes.

Old August 1st 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Vic Smith

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:58:47 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>>How may car owners ever use the automatic transmission dip stick?
>>

>All of them with half a brain.
>

>How often do you actually add ENGINE oil? I never need to between
>changes, but I still CHECK it weekly. Same with the transmission fluid.
>The whole idea of maintenance is to CATCH a potential problem before it
>becomes costly. Eliminating the transmission dipstick pretty much
>guarantees a low-fluid failure will ultimately destroy the transmission,
>be it at 10,000 miles or 200,000 miles.

Hard to imagine not having a trans dipstick.
Might as well tell this story, even if it's about my U of I engineer
son.
He had a Hyudai something or other. Saw it a couple times and it
looked and sounded decent enough.
He drove it almost every weekend from Champagne to Chicago and back.
He bought it used, and had a couple grand in it.
One Friday he calls me from his mom's house saying his check oil light
is coming on, but the dipstick shows normal.
He said he had an oil change a few weeks ago at a fast change place,
checked the oil after that and has been checking it at least every
week.
I told him he might have bad mains, bad oil pump, or a bad sender, and
to get it to my mechanic to have it checked out.
But it was the weekend and he had to get back to school.
Sunday evening a daughter is visiting me, driving the son's Hyundai
because her car is down. I walked her out to the Hyandai when she had
to get back so the son could take off for school.
I chatted with her a bit before she pulled out, and the Hyandai didn't
sound bad. Didn't see or smell oil burning. No drips on the
driveway. Something told me to check the oil, just out of habit, but
she was in a hurry and I pushed it aside.
Next morning she calls to say the car broke down on him on the way to
school. Engine shot. The tow truck driver found it dry of oil.
Turns out my son had been checking the trans dipstick the whole time.
Saw his mistake when the tow driver pulled the right dipstick.
Can't tell you how bad I felt in not checking the oil when it was in
my driveway, but I really never thought for a second my "smart" kid
couldn't check his own oil. He's a successful engineer now, but still
doesn't give a crap about cars. He does know how to pick the right
dipstick though.

--Vic
Old August 3rd 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dyno

Steve wrote:
> Dyno wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

>> How minuscule are we talking about here?
>> Sample base circle load calc:
>> Oil Pr : 60 psi
>> Adjuster Dia: 0.30 in
>> # Valves: 16 (4 cylinder)
>> 60 psi x pi*(.15^2)*16 = 68 lbs is small? Maybe it is, but it
>> certainly is more than ~0.

> The base circle pressure doesn't matter if itdoesn't introduce any added
> friction, and with today's roller followers it just doesnt.
>

>> I don't think this is negligible. And detailed engine friction studies
>> have verified the reduced friction using mechanical lash systems.
>>
>>> 2) With roller followers cam followers, adding base circle pressure
>>> doesn't increase friction much at all. That's one big reason they're
>>> used- far far lower friction than flat lifters from base circle all
>>> the way to full lift. And of course they can follow a lobe profile
>>> with a much sharper ramp rate so that you can get long duration
>>> without excessive overlap.

>> Agreed, roller followers are in a different category and do have low
>> friction. But, they are costly and tend to be relatively bulky.

> Yet they are virtually universally used! There's no point having a
> raging debate about slider followers, it would be like arguing the
> advantages of going back to drum brakes.

Roller valvetrains are universally used? Er, ah I don't think so. For
example: I-4's in Mazda 3/6, Ford Focus and Fusion I-4's use direct
acting mechanical bucket tappets. Ford's 3.0L DOHC is a DAMB. These are
pretty mainstream engines.

And anyway the original discussion was NOT about roller finger follower
or other roller valvetrains. It was about hydraulic vs mechanical. You
added the roller valvetrain tangent. And I already agreed with you that
a roller valvetrain will have the lowest friction.
Old August 5th 08, 07:36 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Steve[_1_]

Vic Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:58:47 -0500, Steve > wrote:
>
>>> How may car owners ever use the automatic transmission dip stick?
>>>

>> All of them with half a brain.
>>

>> How often do you actually add ENGINE oil? I never need to between
>> changes, but I still CHECK it weekly. Same with the transmission fluid.
>> The whole idea of maintenance is to CATCH a potential problem before it
>> becomes costly. Eliminating the transmission dipstick pretty much
>> guarantees a low-fluid failure will ultimately destroy the transmission,
>> be it at 10,000 miles or 200,000 miles.

> Hard to imagine not having a trans dipstick.

Open the hood of any late model Toyota. :-(
Old August 5th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Dyno wrote:

> Roller valvetrains are universally used? Er, ah I don't think so. For
> example: I-4's in Mazda 3/6, Ford Focus and Fusion I-4's use direct
> acting mechanical bucket tappets. Ford's 3.0L DOHC is a DAMB. These are
> pretty mainstream engines.
>
> And anyway the original discussion was NOT about roller finger follower
> or other roller valvetrains. It was about hydraulic vs mechanical. You
> added the roller valvetrain tangent. And I already agreed with you that
> a roller valvetrain will have the lowest friction.

I said "virtually" universally used, and that's true because roller-cam
engines outnumber sliders at least 10:1 in the marketplace. One or two
low-end Ford/Mazda engines do not a majority make, even if millions are
sold. You can't debate the virtues of hydro lash adjusters without
putting it in the context of roller vs. slider, because roller followers
eliminate some of the presumed disadvantages of hydro lash adjusters.
That was the only point I intended, and I don't think I disagreed with
you either. IF you are constrained to a slider cam for cost reasons,
then it makes sense to eliminate the lash adjusters too. Its "system"
design thinking vs. "component" design thinking- what pieces work
TOGETHER the best.

Old August 6th 08, 03:03 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Retired VIP[_2_]

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:36:09 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>Vic Smith wrote:

>>> All of them with half a brain.
>>>

>>> How often do you actually add ENGINE oil? I never need to between
>>> changes, but I still CHECK it weekly. Same with the transmission fluid.
>>> The whole idea of maintenance is to CATCH a potential problem before it
>>> becomes costly. Eliminating the transmission dipstick pretty much
>>> guarantees a low-fluid failure will ultimately destroy the transmission,
>>> be it at 10,000 miles or 200,000 miles.

>> Hard to imagine not having a trans dipstick.

>Open the hood of any late model Toyota. :-(

2006 Corolla has them. I think that's a late model Toyota.

Jack
Old February 1st 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I just need the weigh of the botton end on head no timing cover block piston crank oil pan
Old February 1st 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 2/1/2016 11:03 AM, wrote:
> I just need the weigh of the botton end on head no timing cover block piston crank oil pan

I have no idea but suppliers of rebuilt engines (who ship
them all day long) would know.

http://www.jisautoengine.com/to01caso2aen.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Rolls Royce - details Paddy's Pig[_2_] Car Show Photos 0 June 2nd 08 02:29 AM
Rolls Royce - details Paddy's Pig[_2_] Auto Photos 0 June 2nd 08 02:27 AM
Requested by Veteran - File 011 of 277 - 193x vw 985cc experimental engine details.jpg (1/1) Mike G[_2_] Car Show Photos 0 April 18th 08 12:40 AM
tsb details ks Chrysler 2 March 18th 07 02:39 PM
Need Details on '93 Grand Cherokee [email protected] Jeep 8 August 19th 06 10:02 PM