Chrysler refuses recall request

Old June 6th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Alan Baker

Default Chrysler refuses recall request

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2:19*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> >
> > *gpsman > wrote:
> >
> > > And we all know that "feeling" safe = safe...

> > What /I/ know is that by far the largest component of being safe in a
> > motor vehicle is driving well.

> The rub is what one considers "driving" well.
>
> > If one never has a collision, then the gas tank's location is moot.

> Are you among those who believe they can dodge out of the way of an
> impending rear-end collision...?

I can if I leave myself an escape route, yes. Even if I can't dodge it
completely, by leaving myself space (yes: even at stop lights) I can
mitigate the collisions.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old June 6th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Alan Baker

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2:22*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > *gpsman > wrote:
> >
> > > Operating a motor vehicle is dangerous; make and model is, of course,
> > > irrelevant.

> > Please show us figures comparing the danger per hour as compared to
> > other activities...

> You can borrow my Google: http://google.com
> -----
>
> - gpsman

Nope.

YOUR claim: YOU support it.

Old June 6th 13, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

gpsman wrote:
> On Jun 6, 8:19 am, Nate > wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what the "defect" is. Yes a Cherokee's gas tank is between
>> the bumper and rear axle as it is on many vehicles. But I don't see a
>> whole lot of sharp pointy objects in the area to actually puncture the
>> tank and why only 1993-up vehicles when the Cherokee was made for ages
>> before that?
>>
>> In any case I don't feel unsafe driving mine...

> And we all know that "feeling" safe = safe...
> -----
>
> - gpsman

uh-oh....here comes another Usenet gun debate

GW
Old June 6th 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

gpsman > wrote:
>On Jun 6, 8:19=A0am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what the "defect" is. =A0Yes a Cherokee's gas tank is betwee=

>> the bumper and rear axle as it is on many vehicles. =A0But I don't see a
>> whole lot of sharp pointy objects in the area to actually puncture the
>> tank and why only 1993-up vehicles when the Cherokee was made for ages
>> before that?
>>
>> In any case I don't feel unsafe driving mine...

>And we all know that "feeling" safe =3D safe...

It's not a safe world. We're all going to die someday.

Sometimes I feel bad for Bob Pease... if he had been driving a modern
vehicle instead of a Bug he probably wouldn't have been killed. But,
you have to die someday, and he died at the wheel of a Bug which is a
pretty fine and honorable way to go.
--scott
Old June 6th 13, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gpsman

From: Alan Baker
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:22:48 -0700

"Usenet rule: You make a claim: you provide the support."
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...n&dmode=source
-----

- gpsman
Old June 7th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Alan Baker

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2:52*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> > *gpsman > wrote:
> >
> > > Are you among those who believe they can dodge out of the way of an
> > > impending rear-end collision...?

> > I can if I leave myself an escape route, yes. Even if I can't dodge it
> > completely, by leaving myself space (yes: even at stop lights) I can
> > mitigate the collisions.

> From: Alan Baker
> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:22:48 -0700
>
> "Usenet rule: You make a claim: you provide the support."
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...89570?hl=en&dm
> ode=source
> -----
>
> - gpsman

So just so I understand you, you're saying you dispute my claim that you
can leave yourself escape routes from rear-end collisions?

Old June 7th 13, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On 6 Jun 2013 17:04:58 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>gpsman > wrote:
>>On Jun 6, 8:19=A0am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what the "defect" is. =A0Yes a Cherokee's gas tank is betwee=

>>> the bumper and rear axle as it is on many vehicles. =A0But I don't see a
>>> whole lot of sharp pointy objects in the area to actually puncture the
>>> tank and why only 1993-up vehicles when the Cherokee was made for ages
>>> before that?
>>>
>>> In any case I don't feel unsafe driving mine...

>>And we all know that "feeling" safe =3D safe...

>It's not a safe world. We're all going to die someday.
>
>Sometimes I feel bad for Bob Pease... if he had been driving a modern
>vehicle instead of a Bug he probably wouldn't have been killed. But,
>you have to die someday, and he died at the wheel of a Bug which is a
>pretty fine and honorable way to go.
>--scott

Since I drove a '64 Bug for years, I looked this up out of curiosity.
Didn't see a picture of the accident scene, but the report I saw said
he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. Might not have mattered. He may have
died from a heart attack or stroke anyway, causing him to leave the
road. I first wore seat belts in the Bug. Mostly because my best bud
rolled his car, got tossed out, and the car cut off his legs, killing
him. Two other guys with him were tossed out, and had no injuries.
But I liked the belt pretty quick, because during hard cornering it
locks you down and makes control easier. You can't drive by the seat
of your pants when the pants are disconnected from the car.
One time a buddy took a corner hard in his '58 Chevy with slick bench
seats, and he was in my lap on the passenger side. Scary.
There's a lot you can do to make driving safer, but **** happens.
Car comes barreling through a red, you're toast. Semi in the opposite
direction loses a wheel, and it comes through your windshield at a
combined speed of 140 mph. You're toast. Whoever said you can avoid
getting tail-ended at speed hasn't been around the block. Happened to
me when traffic stopped and the guy behind me wasn't paying attention.
I had no way out.
A guy in Chicago was walking on a boulevard sidewalk. A passing Caddy
lost a heavy hubcap, and the thing rolled a bit, bounced off the curb,
and hit the walker in the head, killing him.
Sure, it's good to be cautious, but it won't always work.
Lots of ways to get your ticket cashed in.
Old June 7th 13, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 06/06/2013 09:32 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article
> >,
> gpsman > wrote:

>>> I can if I leave myself an escape route, yes. Even if I can't dodge it
>>> completely, by leaving myself space (yes: even at stop lights) I can
>>> mitigate the collisions.

>> From: Alan Baker
>> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:22:48 -0700
>>
>> "Usenet rule: You make a claim: you provide the support."
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...89570?hl=en&dm
>> ode=source
>> -----
>>
>> - gpsman

> So just so I understand you, you're saying you dispute my claim that you
> can leave yourself escape routes from rear-end collisions?

IIRC I was taught in driver's ed lo these many years ago and also read
the advice from Vic Elford (IIRC?) to whenever possible when stopped at
a light to leave enough space between you and the car in front of you to
turn sharply and move onto the shoulder, into the median, etc. if
necessary. Obviously if there is a curb or you are in the middle lane
of a 3+ lane street this won't help you, but in short, yes, there are
options that good driving practices open up of which most motorists
don't take advantage.

In many, many miles of driving, however, I've been rear-ended twice and
unfortunately once was while first in line waiting to turn out of a
parking lot onto a busy road (so I wasn't able to move forward at all
without creating a greater risk) and the other was while sitting still
in stop and go traffic in the middle lane of a highway, and TBH in that
instance I don't recall whether I had the option of changing lanes and
letting the guy in front of me take the hit as I didn't see the other
motorist coming in my mirror - my attention was directed in front of me
and nothing unusual presented itself in my last mirror check. Which is
a lesson in and of itself; apparently that day I wasn't checking my
mirrors often enough, and also a reminder that even if you're sitting
perfectly still a mirror check every now and then is in order.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 7th 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Alan Baker

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:

> On 06/06/2013 09:32 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > gpsman > wrote:

> >> From: Alan Baker
> >> Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:22:48 -0700
> >>
> >> "Usenet rule: You make a claim: you provide the support."
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...1f489570?hl=en
> >> &dm
> >> ode=source
> >> -----
> >>
> >> - gpsman

> > So just so I understand you, you're saying you dispute my claim that you
> > can leave yourself escape routes from rear-end collisions?
> >

> IIRC I was taught in driver's ed lo these many years ago and also read
> the advice from Vic Elford (IIRC?) to whenever possible when stopped at
> a light to leave enough space between you and the car in front of you to
> turn sharply and move onto the shoulder, into the median, etc. if
> necessary. Obviously if there is a curb or you are in the middle lane
> of a 3+ lane street this won't help you, but in short, yes, there are
> options that good driving practices open up of which most motorists
> don't take advantage.
>
> In many, many miles of driving, however, I've been rear-ended twice and
> unfortunately once was while first in line waiting to turn out of a
> parking lot onto a busy road (so I wasn't able to move forward at all
> without creating a greater risk) and the other was while sitting still
> in stop and go traffic in the middle lane of a highway, and TBH in that
> instance I don't recall whether I had the option of changing lanes and
> letting the guy in front of me take the hit as I didn't see the other
> motorist coming in my mirror - my attention was directed in front of me
> and nothing unusual presented itself in my last mirror check. Which is
> a lesson in and of itself; apparently that day I wasn't checking my
> mirrors often enough, and also a reminder that even if you're sitting
> perfectly still a mirror check every now and then is in order.
>
> nate

Hey: I never claimed you can prevent people from running into you in
every situation...

Old June 7th 13, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/06/2013 09:33 AM, Brent wrote:
> On 2013-06-06, jim beam > wrote:
>> On 06/05/2013 02:40 PM, bob wrote:
>>> http://www.impomag.com/news/2013/06/...ecall-vehicles
>>>

>>> could not be worse than a crown vic or pinto i suppose..
>>>
>>> bob

>> recalls have become both political and economic warfare tools. frod or
>> g.m. get cut huge amounts of slack on recalls - remember the wheels
>> falling off frods, and their not calling vehicles in for months citing
>> "low risk"? or their ignition modules cooking as a life limitation
>> decision, but no recall until the class action lawsuit actually
>> prevailed after years of courtroom drama?
>>
>> yet if it's a foreign-owned vehicle, they're expected to recall for
>> having the wrong color shipping wax on the paint before dealer prep.
>> the whole system stinks.

> If it's big three vehicle the recall is on the network news casts even
> if it's not even a big deal. It has to be a huge deal or an CBS audi
> witch hunt before the media covers it for a foreign make.
>
> And of course the media has done more fictional fear stories on
> domestic made vehicles than foreign ones.

maybe in the past, but that's not been the case lately. the toyota
witch hunt was straight off the steps of the whitehouse. nothing but a
good old fashioned chicago shakedown. completely disgusting.

and further back, frod should have been soundly spanked over the
exploder fiasco, and executives jailed. instead, the media slavishly
regurgitated frod's corporate defense b.s. that it was all a tire
problem - utterly unconscionable imo.

--
fact check required