Fuel injector expected lifespan?

Old May 2nd 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel injector expected lifespan?

I would expect to see some visible fuel normally on a ruptured
diaphram. It's pretty hard to determine a fuel smell from a 3/16" ID
hose. Are you sure you didn't just smell a small gas leak in the
vicinity, like upper injector orings or perhaps previously spilled gas
from the Motorvac service?

You could always put a vacuum pump with clear vinyl tubing on the
regulator and keep a constant 20" on it, run the engine and look for
fuel in the tubing.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old May 2nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Probably any b-series fpr would work. Fuel filter is cheap and easy to
replace. GL

--
turtlecrxsi
turtlecrxsi's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=165541

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 2nd 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:03:25 -0700, turtlecrxsi
> wrote:

>Probably any b-series fpr would work. Fuel filter is cheap and easy to
>replace. GL

I monitory my fuel pressure through an OBD II port on my 2003 Vulcan
V6. Believe me, it is all over the place, from 35 low to 60 psi high.
All over the place. You can see the numbers if you want, as I can
post them.

Somehow, my engine runs fine anyhow. Go figure. The spec is 35 to 45
psi and I've seen it go to 60. Very erratic.

So I don't know if that is *normal.* Who tracks their fuel pressure
every 5 seconds as I do? Nobody.

Lg

Old May 2nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:03:25 -0700, turtlecrxsi
> > wrote:
>

> >Probably any b-series fpr would work. Fuel filter is cheap and easy to
> >replace. GL

> I monitory my fuel pressure through an OBD II port on my 2003 Vulcan
> V6. Believe me, it is all over the place, from 35 low to 60 psi high.
> All over the place. You can see the numbers if you want, as I can
> post them.
>
> Somehow, my engine runs fine anyhow. Go figure. The spec is 35 to 45
> psi and I've seen it go to 60. Very erratic.
>
> So I don't know if that is *normal.* Who tracks their fuel pressure
> every 5 seconds as I do? Nobody.
>
> Lg

I can't say that I ever tracked fuel pressure on a 2003 Vulcan V6, But I
have monitored fuel pressures on hundreds of other vehicles. Any time I
found eratic fuel pressure there was a problem, ranging from defective fuel
pumps to broken regulator springs (rare). Any time the pressure goes over
the specs it is due to the regulator or restricted return line. Check there
first.

Old May 2nd 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Kevin" > wrote in
>

> > "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message

> >> So, finally, to my ultimate question: Has any knowledgeable poster
> >> ever seen Honda injectors wear unevenly to the point that they
> >> inconsistently fuel the engine, or have they ever seen vibration
> >> occur from gum and ring deposits?
> >>

> > It should be fairly easy to diagnose the injectors with a pressure
> > drop method.

> I take it that would be done at the pressure gauge while the engine is
> running?

Uh, no, it is done with the fuel rail pressurized and the engine off. You do
need a special device to fire the injector a precise number of milliseconds.
Each injector should cause the same pressure drop in the rail when it is
fired the same amount of time at the same starting pressure. This test will
show gross injector problems shuch as major restriction or weak injector
coil. During the test you will know if you have any leaking injectors by the
failure to maintain steady pressure in the rail, but you won't know which
injector might be leaking. Better to bench test them for that.

> > Also check fuel pressure and volume. From the fuel in oil
> > symptom I would suspect either leaky injector or leaking fuel pressure
> > regulator diaphragm. Both are easy to diagnose.

> And my regular guy doesn't want to do it, which is bizarre, since he's

been
> wonderful over the last 25 years.
>
> I'm getting the pressure and filter looked at tomorrow.
>
> I just checked the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator right now.
> There's a slight smell of fuel...

Apply a vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator (about 15" to 20"). It should
hold indefinately. If it looses vacuum, the diaphram is leaking.

Kevin

Old May 2nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 2 May 2006 16:42:22 -0500, "Kevin" > wrote:

>"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:03:25 -0700, turtlecrxsi
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >Probably any b-series fpr would work. Fuel filter is cheap and easy to
>> >replace. GL

>> I monitory my fuel pressure through an OBD II port on my 2003 Vulcan
>> V6. Believe me, it is all over the place, from 35 low to 60 psi high.
>> All over the place. You can see the numbers if you want, as I can
>> post them.
>>
>> Somehow, my engine runs fine anyhow. Go figure. The spec is 35 to 45
>> psi and I've seen it go to 60. Very erratic.
>>
>> So I don't know if that is *normal.* Who tracks their fuel pressure
>> every 5 seconds as I do? Nobody.
>>
>> Lg

>I can't say that I ever tracked fuel pressure on a 2003 Vulcan V6, But I
>have monitored fuel pressures on hundreds of other vehicles. Any time I
>found eratic fuel pressure there was a problem, ranging from defective fuel
>pumps to broken regulator springs (rare). Any time the pressure goes over
>the specs it is due to the regulator or restricted return line. Check there
>first.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Couldn't possibly be a restricted
return line, as I've put Techron fuel system cleaner through the gas
tank every 5,000 miles or so. Also, have installed a new fuel filter.

Now you would think a restricted return line would give you a fairly
constant backpressure, but my pressures go all over the place, which
leaves me with the fuel pressure regulator.

Easy enough to get at, I think I'll check out the electrical
connections on it. I had bad electrical connections on my alternator
that were causing havoc with my charging sytem. I'll check out this
regulator...it is easy enough to get to. If I can get the signal to
settle down by cleaning the connector contacts, fine. If not, I will
buy another fpr.

Thanks for the tips.

Lg

Old May 2nd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 2 May 2006 16:42:22 -0500, "Kevin" > wrote:

>"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:03:25 -0700, turtlecrxsi
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >Probably any b-series fpr would work. Fuel filter is cheap and easy to
>> >replace. GL

>> I monitory my fuel pressure through an OBD II port on my 2003 Vulcan
>> V6. Believe me, it is all over the place, from 35 low to 60 psi high.
>> All over the place. You can see the numbers if you want, as I can
>> post them.
>>
>> Somehow, my engine runs fine anyhow. Go figure. The spec is 35 to 45
>> psi and I've seen it go to 60. Very erratic.
>>
>> So I don't know if that is *normal.* Who tracks their fuel pressure
>> every 5 seconds as I do? Nobody.
>>
>> Lg
>>

>I can't say that I ever tracked fuel pressure on a 2003 Vulcan V6, But I
>have monitored fuel pressures on hundreds of other vehicles. Any time I
>found eratic fuel pressure there was a problem, ranging from defective fuel
>pumps to broken regulator springs (rare). Any time the pressure goes over
>the specs it is due to the regulator or restricted return line. Check there
>first.

I forgot to mention...this fuel pressure fluctuation can occur during
a long idle, like while idling in a parking lot. It can go to 60 psi
and back to 40 psi, all without touching the accelerator pedal.

What does that sound like ???

Lg

Old May 2nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> I forgot to mention...this fuel pressure fluctuation can occur during
> a long idle, like while idling in a parking lot. It can go to 60 psi
> and back to 40 psi, all without touching the accelerator pedal.
>
> What does that sound like ???
>
> Lg

A bogus reading is what it sounds like. Don't trust the OBD output- put
a gauge on it and see what its REALLY doing.
Old May 2nd 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 02 May 2006 17:30:11 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>

>> I forgot to mention...this fuel pressure fluctuation can occur during
>> a long idle, like while idling in a parking lot. It can go to 60 psi
>> and back to 40 psi, all without touching the accelerator pedal.
>>
>> What does that sound like ???
>>
>> Lg
>>

>A bogus reading is what it sounds like. Don't trust the OBD output- put
>a gauge on it and see what its REALLY doing.

GOOD ADVICE. I pulled the plug and looked at it. Gold plated
contacts for both male and female. Vacuum line? I have a vacuum
gauge and pump with hose, I can "splice" into vacuum line to see if
pressure is holding steady at a minus mmHg during idle, and test the
fpr vacuum port at about 15mm Hg for a leakdown test.

Then...I can go for the voltages from the sending unit itself. All
this takes a few minutes.

Busy now, will report back to the n/g when I find out what caused
this.

Lg

Old May 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 02 May 2006 17:30:11 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>

>> I forgot to mention...this fuel pressure fluctuation can occur during
>> a long idle, like while idling in a parking lot. It can go to 60 psi
>> and back to 40 psi, all without touching the accelerator pedal.
>>
>> What does that sound like ???
>>
>> Lg
>>

>A bogus reading is what it sounds like. Don't trust the OBD output- put
>a gauge on it and see what its REALLY doing.

Okay test results:

engine at warm idle ( 750 rpm )

Vacuum to fpr holds steady at 15 mm Hg

When air conditioning compressor kicks on, it goes to about 18 mm and
holds pretty steady...when compressor turns off ( can hear clutch )
then vacuum to fpr drops to about 16 mm Hg, and HOLDS STEADY.

Now the only time the vacuum moves is when I goose the throttle, and
then it goes from 10mm to 20mm Hg along with the rpm of the engine.

When I did the diaphragm test on the fpr, I took it up to 18mm Hg with
engine off and it held steady as a rock.

SO, wtf does this mean? probably my AIR compressor cycling on and off
during IDLE. Not a big deal apparently, as the engine purrs like a
kitten.

Lg

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM