Fuel injector expected lifespan?

Old May 5th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel injector expected lifespan?

ray > wrote in
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>
>> Finally I decided:
>> Even with the above, I could not diagnose a *sticking* injector,
>> where the pulse and volume might be correct, but the *timing* might
>> be off.
>>
>> I think I need a professional injector testing place.

> How about a couple of cheap suggestions?
>
> Do a quick test of the injectors - do you see one or two that are
> obviously bad (low flow, lousy pattern?)
>
> Head to the junkyard and procure a couple of used injectors and swap
> 'em around - see if it changes the symptoms.

I considered that. I'm still in the thinkin' mode right now, so open to
suggestions.

> Fwiw, the wife's Beretta has 235,000km on it on the original injectors
> - but they're starting to clack like a diesel now and the idle isn't
> what it used to be.

My idle (original injectors, 429,000km) is the same or smoother than the
wife's '99 Tercel. The vibration only happens under load.

> I just wonder if you're overthinking the diagnosis of a bad injector -
> it might be blatantly obvious that one injector has packed it in by
> the spray.

Could be. Tomorrow I'm doing the cooling side, see if that makes any
difference (new stat, new TW sensor, etc).

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 8th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote in article

>>> gasoline is flammable. be careful.

mho
vƒe

----------

DUH!!!!!!!!
Old May 10th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in
:

> The problem HAS to be the injectors.

Well, it's not. My '91 Integra is experiencing the same vibration under
load from about 3,500 rpm to about 5,000 rpm in any gear.

Lift off the gas a bit, and the vibration goes away.

Car has 267,000 miles.

An update:
I just changed the injectors for ones from a wreck. The new ones have about
95K miles on them, and looked clean as a whistle to me. I did reuse the
filter baskets from the old injectors, figuring that after two Motorvac
services they were probably as clean as can be. Certainly they *looked*
clean, and all looked the same, with no gum or discoloration.

After installing the new injectors, the vibration is identical to before.

A summary of what's been done to date:
1) TPS checked for voltage: 0.3V-4.4V throughout range.
2) Water temp switch replaced (with OEM)
3) Thermostat replaced (with OEM)
4) Coolant replaced (with Honda OEM)
5) Fuel pressure checked: 40psi. Range is 37-44psi.
6) Two Motorvac services done. One made problem worse, other had no effect.
7) Fuel filter changed (with OEM)
8) Air filter changed (with OEM)
9) Throttle body cleaned
10) Compression OK
11) Driveshafts replaced with aftermarket (original outer left was noisy)
12) Front motor mount temporarily disconnected by tech to test for
vibration change. No change.
13) Tires are new.

Any other suggestions?

Old May 10th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

:

>> The problem HAS to be the injectors.
>>

>Well, it's not. My '91 Integra is experiencing the same vibration under
>load from about 3,500 rpm to about 5,000 rpm in any gear.
>
>Lift off the gas a bit, and the vibration goes away.
>
>Car has 267,000 miles.
>
>An update:
>I just changed the injectors for ones from a wreck. The new ones have about
>95K miles on them, and looked clean as a whistle to me. I did reuse the
>filter baskets from the old injectors, figuring that after two Motorvac
>services they were probably as clean as can be. Certainly they *looked*
>clean, and all looked the same, with no gum or discoloration.
>
>After installing the new injectors, the vibration is identical to before.
>
>A summary of what's been done to date:
>1) TPS checked for voltage: 0.3V-4.4V throughout range.
>2) Water temp switch replaced (with OEM)
>3) Thermostat replaced (with OEM)
>4) Coolant replaced (with Honda OEM)
>5) Fuel pressure checked: 40psi. Range is 37-44psi.
>6) Two Motorvac services done. One made problem worse, other had no effect.
>7) Fuel filter changed (with OEM)
>8) Air filter changed (with OEM)
>9) Throttle body cleaned
>10) Compression OK
>11) Driveshafts replaced with aftermarket (original outer left was noisy)
>12) Front motor mount temporarily disconnected by tech to test for
>vibration change. No change.
>13) Tires are new.
>
>Any other suggestions?

Harmonic balancer
Old May 10th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Lawrence Glickman > wrote in
:

> On 10 May 2006 16:43:45 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>

>>Any other suggestions?

> Harmonic balancer

Car doesn't have one. It just has a crankshaft pulley.

My ever reliable mechanic is stumped and it's looking like he's lost
interest in this one, so I'm on my own now. But now he's saying maybe it
*is* one of the engine mounts. He's already ruled out the front mount,
which is usually what goes bad on this car. The rear mount is majorly awful
to get at.

I'm wondering:
1) Exhaust resonance
2) Transmission problem.

Running out of options here. I *could* just live with it and wait for
something to break.

Old August 1st 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Phase4

Injectors can stick open if debris building on the nozzle or pintle end
gets caught under the pintle seat. When that happens- fuel flows
continuously instead of in short bursts. That puts excess gas in the
cylinder where it occurs, which drops mileage and loads the exaust with
unburned gas. It makes the engine run rough, as fuel levels are out of
balance. It
also washes oil off the cylinder walls, and can wind up causing severe
engine damage. The computer readout would most likely point to this
kind of problem. I don't think the wear rate of injectors is a big
issue, but they do get contaminated right around the nozzle area,
sometimes quite crusty. This makes fuel flow irregular between
cylinders and that alone makes rough engine operation.

Injectors can be replaced new, or cleaned. Cleaning is much cheaper,
but be warned- if it's not done right, you will have more trouble than
you can imagine.

I am in the middle of a nightmare with Accurate Injector Service.
Injectors they serviced two months ago were stuck open on first start
after installation, flooding gas to cylinders. Took the car to the
dealer this time.
Access requires removing the intake manifold (again) and the full rail
set was bench tested by the dealer. Two injectors were stuck open, and
we had them replaced with new ones. In the dealers test drive after
re-assembly, a third injector stuck- and we had to do it again. We
opted to throw out all the serviced injectors and install all new.
$1500.00 labor and materials.

Bill Sikes at accurate injector was called before we replaced anything,
and told us there was nothing wrong; the sticking was normal and to hit
them with a screwdriver handle. Of course that didn't work. Sent him a
certified letter with copies of the bills, asking for a refund of the
amount he charged as a minimum. Heard nothing for a month despite
multiple follow up emails. Once my credit card company notified him
that the charge was disputed, he called to tell me I was stupid and
ignorant. He has made every excuse you can imagine, and still indicates
that he doesn't believe the problem even happened. Currently it's in the
hands of Arizona Consumer fraud for investigation, and we are out $1500
for what should have been a $200 job.

I have since found posts by others who have had the same problem with
the same company. Unfortunately, I didn't find out
before hand, and obviously didn't do my homework well enough. By the
way, if anyone else has had similar problems with Accurate Injector
Service, please contact me!

--
Phase4
Phase4's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=526060

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM