Ethanol / gasoline mix

Old June 16th 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RT[_2_]

Default Ethanol / gasoline mix

I don't own a Corvette yet so I'm just wondering with all the talk
about ethanol / gasoline mixes, is it safe to use this in stock
Corvettes? Any limit on how much % ethanol to use in the Corvette for
acceptable performance? Typically I see 15% ethanol mixes but have
been told there is as high as 85% ethanol mixes (I have yet to see it
where I live).
Old June 16th 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<RT> wrote in message
>I don't own a Corvette yet so I'm just wondering with all the talk
> about ethanol / gasoline mixes, is it safe to use this in stock
> Corvettes? Any limit on how much % ethanol to use in the Corvette
> for
> acceptable performance? Typically I see 15% ethanol mixes but have
> been told there is as high as 85% ethanol mixes (I have yet to see
> it
> where I live).

Runs fine in my '64, but you need to have a vehicle that is made to
burn 85% to go much over the 15% blend in most combustion engines.

The only problem I've seen so far is that with the old vented systems
you do get some evaporation loss in this hot weather, that's not an
ethanol problem though.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old June 16th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RT[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:32:56 -0400, "Dad" > wrote:

><RT> wrote in message
.. .
>>I don't own a Corvette yet so I'm just wondering with all the talk
>> about ethanol / gasoline mixes, is it safe to use this in stock
>> Corvettes? Any limit on how much % ethanol to use in the Corvette
>> for
>> acceptable performance? Typically I see 15% ethanol mixes but have
>> been told there is as high as 85% ethanol mixes (I have yet to see
>> it
>> where I live).

>Runs fine in my '64, but you need to have a vehicle that is made to
>burn 85% to go much over the 15% blend in most combustion engines.
>
>The only problem I've seen so far is that with the old vented systems
>you do get some evaporation loss in this hot weather, that's not an
>ethanol problem though.

Dad, if I understand you correctly does that mean it's safe to run 15%
or less in the C5 or C6's ? I ask because I may buy a C6 or C7 coupe
before I retire.
Old June 16th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<RT> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:32:56 -0400, "Dad" >
> wrote:
>
>><RT> wrote in message
. ..
>>>I don't own a Corvette yet so I'm just wondering with all the talk
>>> about ethanol / gasoline mixes, is it safe to use this in stock
>>> Corvettes? Any limit on how much % ethanol to use in the Corvette
>>> for
>>> acceptable performance? Typically I see 15% ethanol mixes but
>>> have
>>> been told there is as high as 85% ethanol mixes (I have yet to see
>>> it
>>> where I live).

>>Runs fine in my '64, but you need to have a vehicle that is made to
>>burn 85% to go much over the 15% blend in most combustion engines.
>>
>>The only problem I've seen so far is that with the old vented
>>systems
>>you do get some evaporation loss in this hot weather, that's not an
>>ethanol problem though.

> Dad, if I understand you correctly does that mean it's safe to run
> 15%
> or less in the C5 or C6's ? I ask because I may buy a C6 or C7
> coupe
> before I retire.

Not sure I understand your question, is it safe, not if you hit
something while driving it with any type fuel. Will the Corvette run
on blended fuel with ethanol, yes, and I look for the percentage to go
up shortly.

With close to 100k miles on C5s and this C6 and having bought fuel in
more than 2 dozen states, of which blended is all some sell, they
haven't missed a lick so far.

I don't see your issue???

Old June 16th 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RT[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:55:35 -0400, "Dad" > wrote:

><RT> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:32:56 -0400, "Dad" >
>> wrote:

>>>Runs fine in my '64, but you need to have a vehicle that is made to
>>>burn 85% to go much over the 15% blend in most combustion engines.
>>>
>>>The only problem I've seen so far is that with the old vented
>>>systems
>>>you do get some evaporation loss in this hot weather, that's not an
>>>ethanol problem though.

>> Dad, if I understand you correctly does that mean it's safe to run
>> 15%
>> or less in the C5 or C6's ? I ask because I may buy a C6 or C7
>> coupe
>> before I retire.

>Not sure I understand your question, is it safe, not if you hit
>something while driving it with any type fuel. Will the Corvette run
>on blended fuel with ethanol, yes, and I look for the percentage to go
>up shortly.
>
>With close to 100k miles on C5s and this C6 and having bought fuel in
>more than 2 dozen states, of which blended is all some sell, they
>haven't missed a lick so far.
>
>I don't see your issue???

Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended
fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.
Old June 17th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
pete

RT wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:55:35 -0400, "Dad" > wrote:
>
>> <RT> wrote in message

>>> Dad, if I understand you correctly does that mean it's safe to run
>>> 15%
>>> or less in the C5 or C6's ? I ask because I may buy a C6 or C7
>>> coupe
>>> before I retire.

>> Not sure I understand your question, is it safe, not if you hit
>> something while driving it with any type fuel. Will the Corvette run
>> on blended fuel with ethanol, yes, and I look for the percentage to go
>> up shortly.
>>
>> With close to 100k miles on C5s and this C6 and having bought fuel in
>> more than 2 dozen states, of which blended is all some sell, they
>> haven't missed a lick so far.
>>
>> I don't see your issue???

> Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended
> fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.

Not so fast Red Rider.

You're OK in C5s and C6s with the blends.
C4s with Multec injectors can't go above 10%.
Destroys the insulation in the injector
coils. Then, the performance takes a hit.

Some of the plastic parts, floats and gaskets
in older carbs don't play well with Ethanol
but a 'kit' job will repair the damage.

--
pj
Old June 17th 07, 04:35 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"pete" > wrote in message ...
> RT wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:55:35 -0400, "Dad" >
>> wrote:

>>> Not sure I understand your question, is it safe, not if you hit
>>> something while driving it with any type fuel. Will the Corvette
>>> run on blended fuel with ethanol, yes, and I look for the
>>> percentage to go up shortly.
>>>
>>> With close to 100k miles on C5s and this C6 and having bought fuel
>>> in more than 2 dozen states, of which blended is all some sell,
>>> they haven't missed a lick so far.
>>>
>>> I don't see your issue???

>> Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended
>> fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.

> Not so fast Red Rider.
>
> You're OK in C5s and C6s with the blends.

That's is what we were refering to, C5 & C6.

> C4s with Multec injectors can't go above 10%. Destroys the
> insulation in the injector coils. Then, the performance takes a
> hit.

Where are you getting enough ethanol to distroy the insulation in an
injector? I'm not sure it's just the ethanol that is eating parts and
believe it has allot to do with the blend.

> Some of the plastic parts, floats and gaskets in older carbs don't
> play well with Ethanol but a 'kit' job will repair the damage.

Been there, done that, but we were only talking about C5s and C6 with
a possible C7 thrown in.

Old June 17th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dale[_1_]

On or about Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:22:53 -0500, RT wrote or did cause to
be written:

>Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended
>fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.

WHOA!!! Dad didn't say that. He would have if that is what you asked
because he LOVES ethanol but you just asked if it was safe and it IS
safe to use in a modern car. But you do take a big performance hit.
Ethanol has about 33% less energy per gallon. That is offset somewhat
by its octane rating of 100+. In a C6 you should expect about 10 RWHP
less running a 10% ethanol mix. You also get 0.5-1 mpg less mileage.

And before the usual crowd chimes in "Well I never saw any difference"
this is physics. The fact you didn't observe the physics doesn't
change the physical properties of ethanol. Look it up. Even the
ethanol producers acknowledge it doesn't provide the performance or
economy of gasoline.
Old June 17th 07, 02:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dale" > wrote in message
> On or about Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:22:53 -0500, RT wrote or did cause
> be written:
>
>>Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended
>>fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.

> WHOA!!! Dad didn't say that. He would have if that is what you asked
> because he LOVES ethanol but you just asked if it was safe and it IS
> safe to use in a modern car. But you do take a big performance hit.
> Ethanol has about 33% less energy per gallon. That is offset
> somewhat
> by its octane rating of 100+. In a C6 you should expect about 10
> RWHP
> less running a 10% ethanol mix. You also get 0.5-1 mpg less mileage.

Ethanol isn't necessarily my love in life but Corvettes and travel
are. I started a 10,000 mile trip in a new 2004 C5, less than 400
miles when I left. My travel took me from Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg
Museum in Auburn Indiana to Portland Oregon, then to Greenville South
Carolina.

Many of the western states were running 10/15% ethanol and mileage
varied as much by driving at night as it did with different
brands/blends of gas. Average for the trip was 28.8, high was 32 mpg
with Shell w/ethanol. Both the tank before and after were better than
the low of 27.2 and major versus unheard of brands seemed to be little
different. Driving to show its difference is just not accurate enough
to prove anything much.

I will not try to address the performance change if any, my seat of
the pants dynamometer is not any more accurate than anyone else's on
here.

It's strange that a new performance gadget can be added and "it sure
feels stronger", but seldom does it feel less. The difference just
isn't enough to worry about for the new gadget or using ethanol. You
just can't measure the difference without it being done in a lab, and
I haven't seen a good test yet, most are trying to prove their point
rather than fact.

By this all I can say is Dale is right, plus ethanol is here to stay,
the greenies said so.

Old June 17th 07, 02:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RT[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:44:15 GMT, Dale > wrote:

>On or about Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:22:53 -0500, RT wrote or did cause to
>be written:
>
>>Ok, that seems to answer my question about Corvettes using blended
>>fuels without a loss/significant loss in performance. Thanks.

>WHOA!!! Dad didn't say that. He would have if that is what you asked
>because he LOVES ethanol but you just asked if it was safe and it IS
>safe to use in a modern car. But you do take a big performance hit.

I guess I misinterpreted Dad when he said it didn't miss a lick but
okay, thanks for correcting me. Your further explanation (omitted
above) about the performance of ethanol makes sense to me tho I have
no facts or experience to back it up. Even in my present cars I can't
notice any performance sacrifice but that's only because I don't drive
them hard anyway so I probably can't notice it therefore.

Thanks for your info and correcting my errors (and to Dad too).