Rats!!!

Old January 22nd 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TBW

Default Rats!!!

My work life means that my '95 Explorer XLT (112K miles) is parked for
2 weeks in a 2nd/3rd floor office garage and then driven very
sparingly and parked on the street for my 1 week at home. The truck
has been somewhat neglected for the last 3 years but only driven MAYBE
1,500 miles. The truck and I call Miami home.

Left the truck at a dealer to get some brake work done and the fuel
filter replaced on my last 2 weeks out of town. They (of course?)
came back with a $3,500 estimate for the work they said the truck
needed. I limited them to just the brakes and fuel filter. One of
the things they recommended was "cleaning of the intake system"
because they said the throttle sometimes stuck partially open. In
fact I had noticed some "sticking" of the throttle a few months back,
but a simple "pat" or two on the accelerator fixed the problem then
and I had not noticed the problem in a few months. I attributed the
problem to a lack of lube somewhere in the linkage/throttle/
accelerator pedal. However, as I said, I did not authorize them to do
the "intake system cleaning."

Another item they wanted to charge me $300+ for was a new belt and
belt tensioner. The original pulley crapped out and the belt broke
over a year ago while I was a few miles from home. Luckily I was
within walking distance of a parts store and was able to get some
cheapo replacement pulley (and belt) and was able to be back on the
road in about an hour. Meant to replace the pulley with a better part
from Ford, but I just never got around to it. Anywho, I went out
today have a look at the tensioner with the intention of replacing it
and the el cheapo pulley with Ford parts. While there I noticed that
the "clamp" that holds all the duct work together for the air filter
was not properly closed. I had replaced the air filter myself some
time ago and would never have left the clamp in such a state, so I
figure that the mechanic at the dealer had opened it as part of the
diagnostics done on the truck.

I was going to simple close the clamp properly, but I noticed what
looked like some loose paper sticking out of the duct work where the
clamp holds it together. So, I pulled the air filter to see what was
up. Holy crap! There was hardly any air filter left! Some friggin'
buck toothed rodent (mouse, rat, squirrell, Miami-Dade politician) had
climbed in through the grill and eaten about 50-75% of the filter.
Not just the paper, but even the hard plastic "nose cone" (for those
who know what the filter looks like). Even found rat droppings in the
air filter housing. The guys in the parts department of the DIFFERENT
Ford Dealer (I will not take the truck back to the original dealer who
apparently did not notice this even though they obviously had taken
the duct work apart) were cracking up over my inquiry as to whether or
not I could get a titanium tipped air filter or one saturated with rat
poison.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. What damage could the small pieces of paper, hard plastic, or rat
turd have done to my intake system? Is there anything I can do other
than take the duct work apart and make sure there's nothing floating
around in there?

2. What does the Ford service department actually do when they "clean
the intake system?"

Thanks!
Old January 22nd 11, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TBW

On Jan 21, 7:21*pm, TBW > wrote:
> [...]
> who know what the filter looks like). *Even found rat droppings in the
> air filter housing. *The guys in the parts department of the DIFFERENT
> Ford Dealer (I will not take the truck back to the original dealer who
> apparently did not notice this even though they obviously had taken
> the duct work apart) were cracking up over my inquiry as to whether or
> not I could get a titanium tipped air filter or one saturated with rat
> poison.
>
> So, I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. What damage could the small pieces of paper, hard plastic, or rat
> turd have done to my intake system? *Is there anything I can do other
> than take the duct work apart and make sure there's nothing floating
> around in there?
>
> 2. What does the Ford service department actually do when they "clean

I forgot to mention that #1 on my ToDo list for tomorrow is Home Depot
for some "chicken wire" to fashion a screen for the air intake.
Old January 22nd 11, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

You can buy a spray can of Throttle Body Safe intake cleaner for about
$10 at the auto parts store and spray it in yourself according to
whatever directions there are on the can. Some throttle bodies are
coated and supposedly you are never supposed to rub them with
anything, i.e. like cleaning them off with a solvent soaked rag. If
teh belt tensioner is putting tension on it and the bearings in the
idle rollers seem ok I don't know why you'd replace it. Most belts
are supposed to last 60K miles.

Old January 22nd 11, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

wrote:

>My work life means that my '95 Explorer XLT (112K miles) is parked for
>2 weeks in a 2nd/3rd floor office garage and then driven very
>sparingly and parked on the street for my 1 week at home. The truck
>has been somewhat neglected for the last 3 years but only driven MAYBE
>1,500 miles. The truck and I call Miami home.
>
>Left the truck at a dealer to get some brake work done and the fuel
>filter replaced on my last 2 weeks out of town. They (of course?)
>came back with a $3,500 estimate for the work they said the truck
>needed.

Not surprising... That is what a dealer is for--to convince the
customer to buy a new vehicle!

You can get cleaner at the parts store, and follow the directions
carefully. Don't rub or touch things, that may damage the sensors.

If the belt is bad, replace it. Check the tensioner bearings, if
smooth then it should be OK, if not a good parts store will have them.

Old January 27th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TBW

On Jan 22, 8:20*am, PeterD > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:21:53 -0800 (PST), TBW >
> wrote:
>
> >My work life means that my '95 Explorer XLT (112K miles) is parked for
> >2 weeks in a 2nd/3rd floor office garage and then driven very
> >sparingly and parked on the street for my 1 week at home. *The truck
> >has been somewhat neglected for the last 3 years but only driven MAYBE
> >1,500 miles. *The truck and I call Miami home.

> >Left the truck at a dealer to get some brake work done and the fuel
> >filter replaced on my last 2 weeks out of town. *They (of course?)
> >came back with a $3,500 estimate for the work they said the truck
> >needed.

> Not surprising... That is what a dealer is for--to convince the
> customer to buy a new vehicle!
>
> You can get cleaner at the parts store, and follow the directions
> carefully. Don't rub or touch things, that may damage the sensors.
>
> If the belt is bad, replace it. Check the tensioner bearings, if
> smooth then it should be OK, if not a good parts store will have them.

First, thanks to those of you who responded.

Second, yet another "Holy Crap!"

So, after just doing the bare minimum to start with and getting a new
air filter, I dug a little deeper today after being away for a few
days. I am totally amazed that my truck was even running, much less
running as well as it has been.

There is a screen (stainless steel I'm sure, but about the same mesh
size as in common house window screen) between the air filter and the
MAF sensor. It's probably for catching "big stuff," perhaps like a
rat-shredded air filter. Well, I think that's exactly what the screen
did on my truck, except that there was so much shredded air filter
paper in there that it basically covered the whole screen, and I'm
thinking that the low pressure created from my engine trying to breath
basically ripped the screen completly out about half way round the
circumference.

I did not take the MAF sensor out to clean it because it looked pretty
clean and I could not see any paper inside the piece where it is
housed. Had a pretty good look too since the aforementioned screen
was not in my way.

Of course when the screen gave way the big wad of paper (and probably
rat scat) was sucked right down the duct work toward the throttle
body. Sure enough, there were three or four pieces of air filter
stuck around (in the holes in the center of) the butterfly valve.
These weren't just tiny bits of paper: some were well over a square
inch in size. No wonder my throttle was sticking: paper was wedging
around the butterfly valve.

Hmmm. I move on down stream (at least easy part) to the IAC valve and
take it off. LOL!!! That sucker is basically packed with shredded air
filter paper. Took me 10 minutes with small screwdriver and needle
nose pliers to get the maybe 10 pieces out, again some over 1 square
inch in size.

Again, I am so totally amazed that my truck has been running as well
as it has been. I reckon them thar computers really do work purty
good. Thinking back about when I had the fairly severe "sticky
throttle" and "rough idle" issues (which did basically disappear
rather quickly), I'm thinking this happened MONTHS ago. Amazing (and
sad that I let it go that long).

I cleaned out all the paper, the throttle body, and the IAC valve and
the truck does, not surprisingly, run better. The acceleration from
traffic lights is smooth and feels downright peppy again.

So, I'd be willing to bet that some paper (and maybe tiny pieces of
plastic and mouse turd) made it past the butterfly valve, and down the
intake manifold. If I had a decent place to work I'd remove the
manifold myself, but I don't. Should I have it removed and inspected
by someone else?

Considering that I think this happened months ago, I'm thinking if I
haven't done any damage yet to valves or cylinders then I'm probably
safe. Anyone see it any different?

How far up/down do the valves travel? Any way a piece of paper could
get stuck and not let a valve close completely? What sort of symptom
could I expect if that did happen? If paper actually made it into a
cylinder, wouldn't it just be incinerated on the power stroke?

I fashioned a screen of sorts to hopefully keep critters out of my
intake system. I put the screen at the bottom (the upstream end) of
the housing for the air filter, but I'd rather put a screen over the
end of the air inlet, which is actually between the inner and outer
fender panels. How do I get to that without removing fender panels?
There are two screws/bolts that secure the "engine air cleaner
mounting bracket" to the inner fender: if I remove those two screws/
bolts will that whole unit pop out (there is some sort of fastener
securing the unit to the inner fender at the 12 o'clock position...can
it just be "poppped" out and then back in?)?

Regarding the broken screen inside the duct work were the MAF sensor
resides, can I buy part of the unit in pieces to save some money or do
I have to buy the whole unit including the MAF sensor? I'm guess that
latter isn't cheap.

I still laugh (and cry) when I look at what's left of the air filter.
If anyone else wants a laugh let me know and i'll email a photo.

Thanks!

Old January 28th 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:48:23 -0800 (PST), TBW >
wrote:

> [...]

>end of the air inlet, which is actually between the inner and outer
>fender panels. How do I get to that without removing fender panels?
>There are two screws/bolts that secure the "engine air cleaner
>mounting bracket" to the inner fender: if I remove those two screws/
>bolts will that whole unit pop out (there is some sort of fastener
>securing the unit to the inner fender at the 12 o'clock position...can
>it just be "poppped" out and then back in?)?
>
>Regarding the broken screen inside the duct work were the MAF sensor
>resides, can I buy part of the unit in pieces to save some money or do
>I have to buy the whole unit including the MAF sensor? I'm guess that
>latter isn't cheap.
>
>I still laugh (and cry) when I look at what's left of the air filter.
>If anyone else wants a laugh let me know and i'll email a photo.

I don't think you need to worry about any more of the air filter stuff
that may have gotten into the intake. It's just paper and running it
thru a few full throttle full rpm acceleration runs should suck out
any pieces still farther down. The valves open wide enough for the
paper to get thru and it will just burn up. You are right that if you
have to replace the part with the screen it's probably going to be
relatively costly. I'd just put a piece of screen where ever you can
get to to keep rats from getting up to the filter again.

Rats not Rice Goodenergy BMW 13 September 8th 08 09:05 AM
Rats not Rice Goodenergy Driving 3 September 4th 08 05:45 PM
Rats not Rice Goodenergy Driving 0 September 3rd 08 05:04 PM