Radial Ride Rough on 71 AMC Matador

Old January 6th 14, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

Default Radial Ride Rough on 71 AMC Matador

On 1/5/2014 6:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/5/2014 12:19 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>>
>> Modern cars are wondrous in many ways - just wish someone made one
>> without all the unnecessary crap - get the weight down to 1,800-pounds
>> or so, and eliminate the power steering and power brakes.
>>

> 1800 lbs is a good weight for a simple car. I had cars close to that
> during the 80s. These days, I drive a VW Passat wagon. It seems like a
> small car but the darn thing weighs in at 3800 lbs. It's simply amazing!

Of cars I have had, the MG Midget, VW Rabbit (Golf I), and Renault R5
were all around 1,800 pounds, and the Renault 11 just under 2,000 pounds.

Sad that a car such as the Miata weighs a porky 2,400 pounds.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old January 6th 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 1/5/2014 6:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/5/2014 12:10 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>>
>> Well, I was thinking of a conventional needle gauge
>> Speed-O-Meter, but
>> in a silly wide rectangular shape, e.g.
>> <http://home.comcast.net/~Plyfury/74furydash.jpg>.
>>

> That 70s tech was awesome - fitting a round gauge in a
> square hole!

Some designers got it right:
http://carsinpedia.com/editorimg/IMG_0404.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old January 7th 14, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 1/5/2014 3:39 PM, JR wrote:

> Some of those people in Sweden like to buy big old American cars and fix them up. Fill them up with chicks and drink cheap beer and listen to raeggae music while they are driving around.

Well who the hell doesn't enjoy doing that? :-)
Old January 7th 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 1/6/2014 7:48 AM, A. Muzi wrote:
> On 1/5/2014 6:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 1/5/2014 12:10 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I was thinking of a conventional needle gauge
>>> Speed-O-Meter, but
>>> in a silly wide rectangular shape, e.g.
>>> <http://home.comcast.net/~Plyfury/74furydash.jpg>.
>>>

>> That 70s tech was awesome - fitting a round gauge in a
>> square hole!

> Some designers got it right:
> http://carsinpedia.com/editorimg/IMG_0404.JPG

Volkswagen 911?

--
T0m $herm@n
Old January 7th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 1/6/2014 6:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/5/2014 3:39 PM, JR wrote:
>>
>> Some of those people in Sweden like to buy big old American cars and
>> fix them up. Fill them up with chicks and drink cheap beer and listen
>> to raeggae music while they are driving around.
>>

> Well who the hell doesn't enjoy doing that? :-)

Not so fun when it is really cold out and you have to find a tree to pee
behind.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old January 7th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 1/5/2014 5:10 PM, T0m $herman wrote:

> Of cars I have had, the MG Midget, VW Rabbit (Golf I), and Renault R5
> were all around 1,800 pounds, and the Renault 11 just under 2,000 pounds.
>
> Sad that a car such as the Miata weighs a porky 2,400 pounds.

Well, I suppose the cars are much safer these days. Safety weighs a lot!
Old January 7th 14, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 1/6/2014 3:48 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/5/2014 6:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 1/5/2014 12:10 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I was thinking of a conventional needle gauge
>>> Speed-O-Meter, but
>>> in a silly wide rectangular shape, e.g.
>>> <http://home.comcast.net/~Plyfury/74furydash.jpg>.
>>>

>> That 70s tech was awesome - fitting a round gauge in a
>> square hole!

> Some designers got it right:
> http://carsinpedia.com/editorimg/IMG_0404.JPG

The should have had special labeling on the faces so that the lettering
matches the orientation. I like the gauge set on my 67 Barracuda. It had
an in-dash vacuum gauge and an ampmeter. I don;t recall if it had a tach.
Old January 7th 14, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 1/6/2014 2:39 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 1/6/2014 6:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 1/5/2014 3:39 PM, JR wrote:
>>>
>>> Some of those people in Sweden like to buy big old American cars and
>>> fix them up. Fill them up with chicks and drink cheap beer and listen
>>> to raeggae music while they are driving around.
>>>

>> Well who the hell doesn't enjoy doing that? :-)

> Not so fun when it is really cold out and you have to find a tree to pee
> behind.

This is a good point. I guess I got the Swedes mixed up with the Jamaicans.
Old January 12th 14, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/06/2014 07:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/5/2014 3:39 PM, JR wrote:
>>
>> Some of those people in Sweden like to buy big old American cars and
>> fix them up. Fill them up with chicks and drink cheap beer and listen
>> to raeggae music while they are driving around.
>>

> Well who the hell doesn't enjoy doing that? :-)

*shrug*

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel