94 yj xfer case not engaging front axle

Old April 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Marvin Oliver

Default 94 yj xfer case not engaging front axle

Yesterday found out the hard way I don't have 4wd. Today checked front axle
vacuum motor and found it engages. With all four wheels off the ground I
engaged 4L and put transmission in gear. While the rear wheels spun the
front wheels do not spin. I notice the front drive shaft was slowly
rotating, but I cound easily stop it with by hand. Same results for 4H. I
adjusted the linkage just to be sure.

I have the np231 J xfer case. Is the xfer case bad? Is there a possible
simple fix or do I replace it with a rebuilt? Is there a suggested upgrade?
I just mess around on the back roads in Big Bear area.

Old April 5th 05, 02:04 PM
Marvin Oliver

Is this not making it to the news group or is there no comment worth
posting?

k.net...

Old April 5th 05, 02:30 PM
Mike Romain

No one really had the heart to tell you what you already have figured
likely....

That t-case was a chain drive one so at the 'best' you are looking at a
new chain and sprockets.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 6th 05, 08:00 PM
Derrick Hudson

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:04:01 GMT, Marvin Oliver wrote:
> Is this not making it to the news group or is there no comment worth
> posting?

My comment on this isn't worth posting: "I don't know".

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber:
Old April 7th 05, 04:21 AM
Marvin Oliver

Thanx for the reply. I just like to be sure I'm not way off in left field or
maybe not even on the field anymore.

I did find a fellow who will rebuild it for $150 plus parts. This seems
awful cheap but he was recommended by the owner of a transmission shop I
have had a long relationship with and trust entirely.