on-demand AWD bull****

Old January 22nd 14, 09:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default on-demand AWD bull****

On demand all-wheel drive used by Hyundai, VW et al for their SUV.
One of the claims is that this saves fuel!
How so?
The SUV is running as FWD while on bitumen roads.
But the rear diff has hypoid gear, and still turns although
decoupled from gearbox. And that hypoid gear is one of the
biggest frictional losses.
Old January 24th 14, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

JR > wrote in
:

> One of those Alaska TV reality shows. That guy riding his horse. He
> said the horse is a real ATV. He is right too.

Except that he's not AWD, he's ALD.

--
Tegger
Old January 24th 14, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:08:07 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:
> JR > wrote in
>
> :
>

> > One of those Alaska TV reality shows. That guy riding his horse. He

> > said the horse is a real ATV. He is right too.

> Except that he's not AWD, he's ALD.
>

> --
>
> Tegger

When I used to drive a bread, truck sometimes I would see an elderly couple in an old pickup truck. They had two wooden homemade signs on their pickup truck. The sign on the front said GIDDY UP GO, and the sign on the rear said WE JUST WENT. A Horse can go places that no mechanical ATV can go.
Old January 29th 14, 10:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat Body Roll Works LLC

On 1/24/14, 3:08 AM, Tegger wrote:
> JR > wrote in
> :
>

>> One of those Alaska TV reality shows. That guy riding his horse. He
>> said the horse is a real ATV. He is right too.

Problem is when some moron takes too steep of a turn on wet grass while
galloping. There you have an "ATV" that's out of commission for a good
chunk of a season x-ray pending :-[

The fracture was way too high in her case for cast to be useful
leaving the creature untethered while it healed. Thankfully local
gypsies had better things to do at the moment than to steal my horse.

> Except that he's not AWD, he's ALD.

It mostly uses the rear legs for propulsion (I guess that validates
BMW/Porsche approach to AWD. Thankfully on-demand==too-late is missing
in their commercials for now).

Though awd engages late on 325xi (or so I've heard) it's reportedly
is not nearly as irritating as on the run of the mill fwd bases
P.O.S. OP was bitching about.