'96 T&C - Alarm goes off for no reason.

Old December 27th 05, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default '96 T&C - Alarm goes off for no reason.

Scenario:

The alarm is turned on (with FOB) and the alarm activates, for NO
reason, within 1 to 3 minutes. This has been going on for [about] 2
years. No modifications to the vehicle & no wrecks or bumps. It
often happens in busy areas (shopping mall parking lots, doctor
office, etc.). I'll hear the alarm 'honking' from within the building
I'm in - go outside & reset the alarm - 1 to 3 minutes later it goes
off again. Go BACK OUTSIDE, reset it, and it goes off again after a
few minutes. VERY ANNOYING !!!!

Sometimes, I'll park it at home and it will go off an hour or so after
it's been sitting idle & undisturbed. At first, I questioned whether
others FOB's 'may' be setting it off. But kind of discounted that
thought after happening so frequently.

Someone suggested I lock & unlock the drivers door several times and
the problem would 'go away'. That didn't work. The Chrysler dealer
here has a nasty reputation of ripping people off. I believe if I
went to the dealer, they would suggest I needed 4 new wheels, replace
the passenger seat, put in a new motor, install a second transmission,
and purchase 68 boxes of girl scout cookies from the managers young
daughter - doing so would 'perhaps' resolve the problem.

Any advice would be MOST appreciated. I love the T&C - if it were not
for that damned alarm I'd be a happy camper :-)

Thanks for any practical input ...

Al

Old December 27th 05, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Frankensmith wrote:

> Scenario:
>
> The alarm is turned on (with FOB) and the alarm activates, for NO
> reason, within 1 to 3 minutes. This has been going on for [about] 2
> years. No modifications to the vehicle & no wrecks or bumps. It
> often happens in busy areas (shopping mall parking lots, doctor
> office, etc.). I'll hear the alarm 'honking' from within the building
> I'm in - go outside & reset the alarm - 1 to 3 minutes later it goes
> off again. Go BACK OUTSIDE, reset it, and it goes off again after a
> few minutes. VERY ANNOYING !!!!
>
> Sometimes, I'll park it at home and it will go off an hour or so after
> it's been sitting idle & undisturbed. At first, I questioned whether
> others FOB's 'may' be setting it off. But kind of discounted that
> thought after happening so frequently.
>
> Someone suggested I lock & unlock the drivers door several times and
> the problem would 'go away'. That didn't work. The Chrysler dealer
> here has a nasty reputation of ripping people off. I believe if I
> went to the dealer, they would suggest I needed 4 new wheels, replace
> the passenger seat, put in a new motor, install a second transmission,
> and purchase 68 boxes of girl scout cookies from the managers young
> daughter - doing so would 'perhaps' resolve the problem.
>
> Any advice would be MOST appreciated. I love the T&C - if it were not
> for that damned alarm I'd be a happy camper :-)
>
> Thanks for any practical input ...
>
> Al

Hi Al...

Just a gentle suggestion, if I may?

How about locking it up in your driveway, then gently teasing
each of the doors (etc) a bit. Kinda push and pull and tap a
little.

Wondering if one of the sensors isn't sitting in a marginal
position.

Take care, and all the best in the new year.

Ken

Old December 27th 05, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Frankensmith" > wrote in message
> Scenario:
>
> The alarm is turned on (with FOB) and the alarm activates, for NO
> reason, within 1 to 3 minutes. This has been going on for [about] 2
> years. No modifications to the vehicle & no wrecks or bumps. It
> often happens in busy areas (shopping mall parking lots, doctor
> office, etc.). I'll hear the alarm 'honking' from within the building
> I'm in - go outside & reset the alarm - 1 to 3 minutes later it goes
> off again. Go BACK OUTSIDE, reset it, and it goes off again after a
> few minutes. VERY ANNOYING !!!!
>
> Sometimes, I'll park it at home and it will go off an hour or so after
> it's been sitting idle & undisturbed. At first, I questioned whether
> others FOB's 'may' be setting it off. But kind of discounted that
> thought after happening so frequently.
>
> Someone suggested I lock & unlock the drivers door several times and
> the problem would 'go away'. That didn't work. The Chrysler dealer
> here has a nasty reputation of ripping people off. I believe if I
> went to the dealer, they would suggest I needed 4 new wheels, replace
> the passenger seat, put in a new motor, install a second transmission,
> and purchase 68 boxes of girl scout cookies from the managers young
> daughter - doing so would 'perhaps' resolve the problem.
>
> Any advice would be MOST appreciated. I love the T&C - if it were not
> for that damned alarm I'd be a happy camper :-)
>
> Thanks for any practical input ...
>
> Al

Depending on the where the car was built and the time it was built you may
have an improper lamp and hood switch causing your problem. Raise the hood
and measure the height of the switch from the top surface of the left hood
hinge body half to the top of the switch plunger. If the height is less than
15/16 in. you need to install the correct switch. Thermal expansion may be
causing the hood to raise and activate the alarm. Part number for the new
switch if needed is 4687594.
If you weren't so tight... you would take your vehicle to the dealer and
purchase the 65 boxes of girl scout cookies from the manager and while you
are there ask the service department to scan the module to see what last
triggered the alarm. That would help!!

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech