minor oil leak, or seep

Old December 20th 04, 03:10 PM

Default minor oil leak, or seep

I check my oil level every 3 to 4 days.
Last night I noticed a leak, or maybe a seep
would be a better term, under the front right
of my valve cover. I changed the gasket when
I adjusted my valves back in mid Sept.
I used a torque wrench to set the 4 cover
nuts. I have driven about 4K since then.
The aftermarket kit said to not use any sealant.
I am not so worried by the minor ammount of oil
as I am about it leaking on to the t-belt.
I will pull the valve cover, and the T-belt
cover Tuesday or Wednesday to check.
I would do it today but we are still too cold.
12F. I will clean everything with either brake
cleaner, or some freon-TF I have saved for a rainy
day. [the EPA told me there was no place to send
it for "recovery" and to use it as needed...I have
saved it for 14 years].
When I reeinstall the gasket should I use sealant?
And am justified in thinking that after 3 months
and 4K this gasket is still good?
Terry

Old December 20th 04, 09:50 PM

Since it was up to a blistering 22F when I got home,
I decided to check some simple things. I was shocked
to find the front, right, as viewed from in front of the
engine, nut was rather loose. Since the oil leak
only started with the onset of cold (<-15F) weather,
could the sudden change in temps cause the nut to loosen?
Or shoud such nuts be checked after a couple of thosand miles?
I have never had a properly torqued nut come loose.
And I am very positive that I torqued them correctly, beause
I was showing someone to use a torque wrench.
Terry