Ignorant question.

Old January 14th 05, 02:24 AM
Jeepers

Default Ignorant question.

Today I finally managed to start Project Jeep Deere for the first time
in several years of building/therapy. The CJ-7 has a new MPFI kit and a
new exhaust. My question is this:

The new down pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat has a small 1",
or so, tube sticking up a few inches back from the manifold. What is it
for?

It's been too long since I started the build and I am too excited to
crack a book to figure it out. So my post is two-fold 1)I get a question
answered and 2) I get to toot my own horn about my first vehicle build.

Thanks for helping! Really, this group, and it's denizens, has been a
great source of info and support!

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.
Old January 14th 05, 02:34 AM
JimG

Possibly to pre-heat the air going to the air filter?

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old January 14th 05, 04:40 AM
Jeepers

In article >,
"Patrick" <patrick@@leclone@com> wrote:

> did you buy the original replacement ?

yes

Old January 14th 05, 05:48 AM
bllsht

That is where the air injection system "upstream" air enters the exhaust system.
The "downstream" air enters in the middle of the cat converter.

The MPI system probably doesn't use air injection.

Old January 14th 05, 07:08 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Lets see some new pictures:
http://home.fnbnet.net/~moomesa/NEWJEEP.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 14th 05, 12:45 PM
Jeepers

In article >,
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote:

> Lets see some new pictures:
> http://home.fnbnet.net/~moomesa/NEWJEEP.html

ahh, yes, I'll see what I can do...

Old January 15th 05, 03:01 AM
HomeBrewer

>> http://home.fnbnet.net/~moomesa/NEWJEEP.html

Nice green paint...what brand/color is that?

--
___________________
HomeBrewer

Old January 15th 05, 03:57 AM
JimG

OK... I will go out on a limb here... Krylon, John Deere green?
http://www.invplus.com/aerosol/catalog_krylon_farm.htm

JimG

Old January 15th 05, 04:53 AM
Jeepers

In article >,
"HomeBrewer" > wrote:

> Nice green paint...what brand/color is that?

John Deere, what else?

Old January 15th 05, 05:42 AM
Jeepers

In article >, "JimG" >
wrote:

> OK... I will go out on a limb here... Krylon, John Deere green?

Nope. John Deere Brand.

The yellow wheels are a different story...

I wanted the wheels to be powdercoated. In John Deere Yellow. So, I
called up John Deere Corporate headquarters and asked for their coatings
division. They referred me to their coating provider, Valspar.

I called Valspar and told them I was doing a Jeep project themed in John
Deere Green and Yellow and was looking for powdercoat in John Deere
Yellow for my wheels. The rep said no problem, they had it and could
ship me a 50 pound box of powder. Cool. I ordered it up and waited. It
arrived and sat unopened in my shop for 6 months while I saved up for
the new American Racing wheels. The day finally arrived and I brought
home my 5 brand spanking new wheels and BFGs.

After many calls and Googles I made contact with a powdercoater in San
Antonio, Texas,who gave me a good price and was willing to take whatever
powder left over in trade. He is almost 2 hours away in the Big City. I
arranged to drop off the five wheels and powder on my way deer (no pun
intended) hunting. He said they'd be ready on my way back through town.
Several days later I was back in his shop. I opened the American Racing
Wheel box and had a peek. They were nice and shiney and yellow. So I
paid the man and drove home.

Three days later, I finally had a free moment to really look at them in
daylight. I unpacked one and took it outside to hold it up next to the
wheel of my 1967 John Deere 4020 and compare. They were the wrong
****ing color.

They were yellow allright -John Deere INDUSTRIAL Yellow- as in backhoe
yellow, baby **** yellow, pukey golden yellow. NOT the almost lemony
yellow I was expecting. ****...

After I calmed down and the red hue went away and I could see again and
the throbbing in my neck went down and I stopped speaking in tongues and
the flaming monkeys quit flying out of my ass and I could remember my
own name again and the cows, horses and donkey quit running away and
were simply staring at me from across the pasture, I sat down and called
that Valspar rep. She was NOT happy to hear from me, as I was having a
relapse of flaming monkeys at that particular moment.

I asked why the *!>%$#!! she sent me Industrial Yellow when I had
explained my project was SPECIFICALLY JD agricultural GREEN & YELLOW.
She then explained that Valspar didn't make powdercoat in Agricultural
Yellow. Another monkey fit. I explained that I had counted on her
expertise and had just ruined 5 brand new aluminum wheels and she was
responsible. She explained that she (and her paint tech) didn't
recommend using powdercoating on wheels. More red and throbbing. At this
point I realized I hadn't helped the situation and probably made things
worse with my rosey attitude and monkeys and fits of unintelligable
spitting and cursing. I gave up, told her to "have a nice day" and hung
up.

In desperation I called the powdercoater. I kept calm, the alcoholic
beverages helped, anyway, he said he thought it wasn't a total loss and
he thought he could help. He said he'd do some checking around and call
me back. A couple of hours later, he rang me back and said he could fix
the wheels, that he found THE color and would only charge me a hundred
bucks to get'r done. I said "Deal" and the rest is history. These babys
are double coated.

Having an art degree and being an actual arteest, I can say they are as
close a yellow, as one could get, to the actual John Deere Brand
Agricultural Yellow Enamel, of which I have several gallons of.

The firey monkeys are gone and the spitting is over and I'm a happy
camper again.

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM