UAW throws marines out of parking lot

Old March 14th 05, 07:15 AM
Robert Cruickshank

Default UAW throws marines out of parking lot

George Grapman wrote:
>>> Took less than a minute to go to the UAW site to find this . Don't
>>> you think they make this information available to their members?
>>>
>>> http://uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2005.cfm

>> %%%% They left out that Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, and Nissans are also built
>> here but not in "union" plants. )
>>

> Toyatas in California are built in a union plant.

The NMMI plant in Fremont is a joint Toyota/GM operation. It was
originally built by GM in 1954, a relocation from Richmond, CA. When the
plant originally opened the UAW came with it down from Richmond. When
the joint venture commenced, in the 1980s I believe, a condition was
keeping the union contract in place. It is the only Japanese automakers'
plant in the US that is unionized.

Of course, Detroit wasn't exactly pro-union either, and they worked to
undercut the UAW by moving production to right-to-work states and rural
areas as early as the '50s.

I don't feel like making too many responses on this thread, so I'll just
point out here that the other poster who found the UAW link is right,
this information is definitely made available to members - even a member
like me who is in a non-automaking section of the UAW. And if I know
this stuff you can sure as hell bet that the UAW workers in auto plants
know what cars are union-made and which aren't.

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive
Old March 14th 05, 08:20 AM
Brent P

In article >, Robert Cruickshank wrote:

> I don't feel like making too many responses on this thread, so I'll just
> point out here that the other poster who found the UAW link is right,
> this information is definitely made available to members - even a member
> like me who is in a non-automaking section of the UAW. And if I know
> this stuff you can sure as hell bet that the UAW workers in auto plants
> know what cars are union-made and which aren't.

So how do the guys with the baseball bats that enforce these sort of regulations tell
the difference between say, a made-in-mexico focus and made-in-USA focus? At one time
the kansas city plant put a little sticker on the cars, but that may or may not last.
But other US plants didn't mark their production that way.

I doubt they keep a cheat sheet going back ten or model years to refer to. This sort
of thing is an emotional reaction, not some sort of rational, planed, and researched
activity.

Old March 14th 05, 06:28 PM
Robert Cruickshank

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Robert Cruickshank wrote:
>

>>I don't feel like making too many responses on this thread, so I'll just
>>point out here that the other poster who found the UAW link is right,
>>this information is definitely made available to members - even a member
>>like me who is in a non-automaking section of the UAW. And if I know
>>this stuff you can sure as hell bet that the UAW workers in auto plants
>>know what cars are union-made and which aren't.

> So how do the guys with the baseball bats that enforce these sort of regulations tell
> the difference between say, a made-in-mexico focus and made-in-USA focus? At one time
> the kansas city plant put a little sticker on the cars, but that may or may not last.
> But other US plants didn't mark their production that way.

I rented a Focus in Denver back in September, a 2004 model, and it had
the sticker saying it was made in the USA by union labor (I don't
remember which plant, exactly). So the stickers are still there.

> I doubt they keep a cheat sheet going back ten or model years to refer to. This sort
> of thing is an emotional reaction, not some sort of rational, planed, and researched
> activity.

You might be surprised. UAW members who work in auto plants, along with
many who are in the union in other industries, are very knowledgable
about this issue. Since it's their career, they make it a point to keep
up with production, new models, etc. The union's monthly publication,
Solidarity, is usually full of info about all this. The memories about
this are VERY long.

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive

Taxing Drivers By The Mile Ed Stasiak Driving 248 March 3rd 05 05:17 PM
Parking ticket [email protected] Driving 25 March 3rd 05 12:11 AM
Parking Brake Stuck Ralf Technology 0 December 19th 04 05:19 AM
California Parking Ticket last Summer - out of state vehicle The Big Biker Driving 2 December 7th 04 08:40 PM