Pwr Steering Fluid Leak

Old May 26th 05, 03:55 PM

Default Pwr Steering Fluid Leak

Hi All,
In my '93 Grand Cherokee, I'm losing a pint of power steering fluid every
other day. It appears that it is coming from the bottom of the rack.
Is there a seal there that I can get and replace? Any other things to check?
Thanks all for your help.

Old May 26th 05, 04:03 PM
Stephen Cowell

"D" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> In my '93 Grand Cherokee, I'm losing a pint of power steering fluid every
> other day. It appears that it is coming from the bottom of the rack.
> Is there a seal there that I can get and replace? Any other things to

check?
> Thanks all for your help.

The 'bottom of the rack' is not a place with known seals... it's
probably coming from one of the ends. Verify that it's not
coming from one of the connections, which should be near
the column input... a leak that fast, you should be able to
watch it squirt out as someone runs the wheel from lock to
lock. Get underneath it (on jackstands, of course) for the
most down-and-dirty fun... God, I love the taste of hydraulic
fluid in the morning!

Most folks get rebuilt racks... they're cheap, if you don't
count the core charge, which you get back anyway.
Pay attention to the bleeding when replacing... air is
not good for PS pumps.... keep the reservoir full!
__
Steve
..

Old May 26th 05, 08:52 PM

Steve,
What a quick comeback and excellent advice.
I had my wife turn the wheel while I looked, didn't even have to go lock to
lock. I got an eyeful of fluid right away. Literally!
The high pressure hose was 'hosed'! A quick trip to the car-shop and $30
later, I had to get some polish for the old girl too, and we're back to
whole. For this instance anyway.
Thanks so much for your help!

Old May 26th 05, 09:51 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Fortunately for you, you don't have a rack and pinion like the new
Cherokee and Libby, you have the much stronger recalculating ball, worm
and sector made by Saginaw and used since the early fifties Cadillac.
The design is like this TJ:
http://www.billhughes.com/97TJpowersteering.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 26th 05, 09:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for the follow up.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 28th 05, 03:55 PM
Stephen Cowell

"D" > wrote in message
> Steve,
> What a quick comeback and excellent advice.
> I had my wife turn the wheel while I looked, didn't even have to go lock

> lock. I got an eyeful of fluid right away. Literally!

Ouch! Believe it or not, that can be very bad... I've
heard tales of high-pressure fluid getting under the
skin... it could actually cut a limb off, or worse, for
big hydraulic things.

> The high pressure hose was 'hosed'! A quick trip to the car-shop and $30
> later, I had to get some polish for the old girl too, and we're back to
> whole. For this instance anyway.
> Thanks so much for your help!

Glad to be of service... also glad it was an easy
fix.
__
Steve
..

power steering fluid type? Gilbert M. Kowie BMW 6 December 28th 04 09:03 PM
Power steering leak Ed VW water cooled 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM
"Power Steering Fluid" & Auto Trans Fluid - Interchangeable? maxpower Chrysler 2 October 11th 04 12:04 PM