Airbag light blinks at startup (Cavalier)

Old November 27th 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default Airbag light blinks at startup (Cavalier)

(04 Cavalier)
Looking for what I think is a problem in the ignition switch wiring, I
pulled the airbag fuse before taking the shrouds off the steering
column. I did not disconnect the two airbag connectors near the base of
the column. (The book says to do this, but doesn't say why. I guess
maybe I should have.)

Now, with the fuse back in, the airbag light on the dash blinks 7 times
every time the car is started, after which it stays off. My guess is
it's just declaring a stored code, and will eventually clear on its own.

Any info would be appreciated.

Old November 27th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

On 11/27/13, 5:21 PM, George wrote:
> (04 Cavalier)
> Looking for what I think is a problem in the ignition switch wiring, I
> pulled the airbag fuse before taking the shrouds off the steering
> column. I did not disconnect the two airbag connectors near the base of
> the column. (The book says to do this, but doesn't say why. I guess
> maybe I should have.)
>
> Now, with the fuse back in, the airbag light on the dash blinks 7 times
> every time the car is started, after which it stays off. My guess is
> it's just declaring a stored code, and will eventually clear on its own.
>
> Any info would be appreciated.

According to owner's manual at
http://dl.owneriq.net/6/63836fe9-89a...020f3b1595.pdf
sounds like normal operation, which you may not have really noticed
before. See page 3-23 where it says:

"This light will come on
when you start your
vehicle, and it will flash for
a few seconds. Then
the light should go out.
This means the system is
ready"

"If the air bag readiness light STAYS ON after you start the
vehicle or comes on when you are driving, your air
bag system may not work properly."