motorflirt

Old May 4th 04, 09:42 AM
Paul Wesley

Default motorflirt

I had a problem finding parts for my mercedes 450slc and someone told me
about motorflirt.com, i posted a few messages to other members of the site
and managed to locate loads of parts. I was well impressed.

Old May 4th 04, 08:18 PM
Geoff Miller

Paul Wesley > writes:

> I had a problem finding parts for my mercedes 450slc [...]

According to Frank Barrett's _Illustrated Mercedes-Benz
Buyer's Guide_, parts for any postwar model can be
obtained from DBAG. And the SLC isn't even that old a
model, in the greater scheme of things. Have you tried
ordering parts through your local Mercedes dealership?

Geoff

--
"An American without a sweatshirt is like a feminist
without body odor." -- Steve Bougerolle

Old May 5th 04, 03:45 AM
Celica Dude

"Geoff Miller" > wrote in message

> According to Frank Barrett's _Illustrated Mercedes-Benz
> Buyer's Guide_, parts for any postwar model can be
> obtained from DBAG. And the SLC isn't even that old a
> model, in the greater scheme of things. Have you tried
> ordering parts through your local Mercedes dealership?

The dealer doesn't use vaseline though, Geoff....

Old May 5th 04, 02:57 PM
Richard Sexton

In article >,
Geoff Miller > wrote:

>Paul Wesley > writes:
>
>> I had a problem finding parts for my mercedes 450slc [...]

>According to Frank Barrett's _Illustrated Mercedes-Benz
>Buyer's Guide_, parts for any postwar model can be
>obtained from DBAG. And the SLC isn't even that old a
>model, in the greater scheme of things. Have you tried
>ordering parts through your local Mercedes dealership?

Frank is a well known idiot and dead wrong. While most parts for
any postwar car are available enough are not that it's
a problem sometimes.

But, there aren't too many 107 parts that are NLA. What
exactly are you having trouble finding?

Old May 5th 04, 10:08 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Geoff Miller" > wrote in message

> Richard Sexton > writes:
>
> > Frank is a well known idiot and dead wrong.

> Er, would you care to elaborate on that? I own a copy of
> that book and have read it cover to cover, and the guy
> strikes me as the sort of authority whose picture ought
> to be in the dictionary under "expert." No offense, but
> I find it hard to believe that anybody who knows as much
> as he obviously does about Mercedes-Benz automobiles would
> be wrong very often.
>

> > While most parts for any postwar car are available enough
> > are not that it's a problem sometimes.

> The point is that if someone is having trouble finding parts
> through other sources, DBAG is the logical place to go.

I'd say that the original post was spam promoting this motorflirt website.

Jason

Old May 6th 04, 12:41 AM
Richard Sexton

In article >, Geoff Miller > wrote:

>Richard Sexton > writes:
>
>> Frank is a well known idiot and dead wrong.

>Er, would you care to elaborate on that? I own a copy of
>that book and have read it cover to cover, and the guy
>strikes me as the sort of authority whose picture ought
>to be in the dictionary under "expert." No offense, but
>I find it hard to believe that anybody who knows as much
>as he obviously does about Mercedes-Benz automobiles would
>be wrong very often.

Those thast can, do, those that can't, write. Look at google
to get a good idea of what fFfrank is all about.

>> While most parts for any postwar car are available enough
>> are not that it's a problem sometimes.

>The point is that if someone is having trouble finding parts
>through other sources, DBAG is the logical place to go.

Maybe. MB doesn't keep all parts for all cars, they'll just
make you one if you need one. Go ask for a price on
a 57 ponton cab fender. Yes those really are zeros.

But, they really aren't the only guys in the world that
can make a fender. Now, a gullwing head ($25K) is different
they probably are the only ones in the world that can make
them.

So, parts fall into three categories: 1) stock stuff. You
need a 123 rad? No problem. Cheap. 2) esoteric stuff. Need
a 6.3 injector? No problem there's 18 left in worldwide
inventory and for only $1500 EACH you can buy one. 3) NLA
- no longer available. There aren't any. The part is not
available. MB, and a whole bunch of other people can
make you a part.

Old May 6th 04, 04:43 AM
Celica Dude

wrote:

> So, parts fall into three categories: 1) stock stuff. You
> need a 123 rad? No problem. Cheap. 2) esoteric stuff. Need
> a 6.3 injector? No problem there's 18 left in worldwide
> inventory and for only $1500 EACH you can buy one. 3) NLA
> - no longer available. There aren't any. The part is not
> available. MB, and a whole bunch of other people can
> make you a part.

There's one of those 6.3s at this shop where I used to work right now...
Tried to take a picture, but the camera bailed out on me.. There might be
10 injectors left worldwide if the car doesn't end up getting junked once
it's all over! However, judging from the cancer on the car, I don't think
the owner has the money for 8 injectors x $1500... especially with a markup
from Phillips Mercedes here in Virginia Beach and the markup that the
shop-owner will tack on... sheesh... try $2200 x 8....

An old co-worker once joked "The 280SE 6.3 is the *only* car in the world
where you can take *any* tool and throw it *anywhere* in the engine
compartment and it WILL NOT fall to the ground." After looking inside the
engine compartment, I see why he said that..

Old May 6th 04, 09:54 PM
Richard Sexton

In article >,
Geoff Miller > wrote:

I think you've missed the finer point of Frank Barretts misdeeds,
keep on googling.

As for NLA parts I posted two easy ones today without even
trying. If you try there's lots.