Auto Transmission noice in 96 Chevy full size 4x4

Old January 18th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
stryped[_3_]

Default Auto Transmission noice in 96 Chevy full size 4x4

My 96 chevy truck with automatic and 350,000 miles started making a
"wining" noise the other day. It makes this noise whether it is in
neutral or in gear and changes with reving the engine. (The pitch I
guess changes when reving the engine). It is less noticeable going
down the highway more noticeable at idle. SOund seems to be coming
through the floor transmission tunnel. What do you think it is and is
it easy to fix?
Old January 18th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

On Jan 18, 6:51*am, stryped > wrote:
> My 96 chevy truck with automatic and 350,000 miles started making a
> "wining" noise the other day. It makes this noise whether it is in
> neutral or in gear and changes with reving the engine. (The pitch I
> guess changes when reving the engine). It is less noticeable going
> down the highway more noticeable at idle. SOund seems to be coming
> through the floor transmission tunnel. What do you think it is and is
> it easy to fix?

Have you tried pulling the serpentine belt and seeing if the noise
goes away? Whining noise, at least to me, usually makes me suspect the
power steering system initially. Maybe you'll get lucky and all it
needs is a new PS pump...

Chris
Old January 18th 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
twisted

On Jan 18, 11:48*am, Hal > wrote:
> On Jan 18, 6:51*am, stryped > wrote:
>
> > My 96 chevy truck with automatic and 350,000 miles started making a
> > "wining" noise the other day. It makes this noise whether it is in
> > neutral or in gear and changes with reving the engine. (The pitch I
> > guess changes when reving the engine). It is less noticeable going
> > down the highway more noticeable at idle. SOund seems to be coming
> > through the floor transmission tunnel. What do you think it is and is
> > it easy to fix?

> Have you tried pulling the serpentine belt and seeing if the noise
> goes away? Whining noise, at least to me, usually makes me suspect the
> power steering system initially. Maybe you'll get lucky and all it
> needs is a new PS pump...
>
> Chris

Noise coming thru the tunnel will not be a serp bel/tensioner.
Sounds like the trans/transfer case, either of which is not easy.
Old January 18th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
stryped[_3_]

On Jan 18, 12:22*pm, twisted > wrote:
> On Jan 18, 11:48*am, Hal > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 18, 6:51*am, stryped > wrote:

> > > My 96 chevy truck with automatic and 350,000 miles started making a
> > > "wining" noise the other day. It makes this noise whether it is in
> > > neutral or in gear and changes with reving the engine. (The pitch I
> > > guess changes when reving the engine). It is less noticeable going
> > > down the highway more noticeable at idle. SOund seems to be coming
> > > through the floor transmission tunnel. What do you think it is and is
> > > it easy to fix?

> > Have you tried pulling the serpentine belt and seeing if the noise
> > goes away? Whining noise, at least to me, usually makes me suspect the
> > power steering system initially. Maybe you'll get lucky and all it
> > needs is a new PS pump...

> > Chris

> Noise coming thru the tunnel will not be a serp bel/tensioner.
> Sounds like the trans/transfer case, either of which is not easy.- Hide quoted text -

WOuld it be the transfer case if it is not in 4x4? SO removing the
tranny isnt easy. I am debating whther it is worth fixing or scrapping
the truck out. I like it and it is nice, but has 350,000 on both the
tranny and engine.
Old January 18th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
stryped[_3_]

On Jan 18, 1:06*pm, stryped > wrote:
> On Jan 18, 12:22*pm, twisted > wrote:

> > > Have you tried pulling the serpentine belt and seeing if the noise
> > > goes away? Whining noise, at least to me, usually makes me suspect the
> > > power steering system initially. Maybe you'll get lucky and all it
> > > needs is a new PS pump...

> > > Chris

> > Noise coming thru the tunnel will not be a serp bel/tensioner.
> > Sounds like the trans/transfer case, either of which is not easy.- Hide quoted text -

> WOuld it be the transfer case if it is not in 4x4? SO removing the
> tranny isnt easy. I am debating whther it is worth fixing or scrapping
> the truck out. I like it and it is nice, but has 350,000 on both the
> tranny and engine.- Hide quoted text -

In these trucks are the tranmissions different in a 2wd versus a 4
wheel drive?
Old January 19th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 05:51:18 -0800 (PST), stryped >
wrote:

>My 96 chevy truck with automatic and 350,000 miles started making a
>"wining" noise the other day. It makes this noise whether it is in
>neutral or in gear and changes with reving the engine. (The pitch I
>guess changes when reving the engine). It is less noticeable going
>down the highway more noticeable at idle. SOund seems to be coming
>through the floor transmission tunnel. What do you think it is and is
>it easy to fix?

If it's making the noise when in gear but not moving it might be the
pump. Perhaps the pressure relief is not working right and it's
always running at high pressure. I'm not sure what else is rotating
when it's in gear but not moving. A good/honest transmission shop
should be able to tell what it is. At 350K it's doubtful it's worth
fixing. How's the fluid look?
Old January 19th 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

> WOuld it be the transfer case if it is not in 4x4? SO removing the
> tranny isnt easy. I am debating whther it is worth fixing or scrapping
> the truck out. I like it and it is nice, but has 350,000 on both the
> tranny and engine.

If the body is nice and the interior is nice, and all you are worried
about is "It has 350,000 on it...." then why not buy the powertrain
out of a lower mile truck that got totaled and put that in your truck?
Couple grand in parts with a warranty from the wrecking yard on the
major components, long weekend to swap it in....and your car is fixed
with no car payment.

It's just my opinion of course, but in my mind it is always cheaper to
maintain rather than to replace unless you have rust to contend with.

Chris
Old January 19th 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
stryped[_3_]

On Jan 18, 11:57*pm, Hal > wrote:
> > WOuld it be the transfer case if it is not in 4x4? SO removing the
> > tranny isnt easy. I am debating whther it is worth fixing or scrapping
> > the truck out. I like it and it is nice, but has 350,000 on both the
> > tranny and engine.

> If the body is nice and the interior is nice, and all you are worried
> about is "It has 350,000 on it...." then why not buy the powertrain
> out of a lower mile truck that got totaled and put that in your truck?
> Couple grand in parts with a warranty from the wrecking yard on the
> major components, long weekend to swap it in....and your car is fixed
> with no car payment.
>
> It's just my opinion of course, but in my mind it is always cheaper to
> maintain rather than to replace unless you have rust to contend with.
>
> Chris

No rust. Of course some wear. It is a 96 Silverado king cab step side
bed 4x4. It is not the best on gas. Still runs and shifts good
although I noticed I am loosing coolant somewhere. Thought about
gettign a used 4 cylinder car for gas purposes but I almost have to
have a truck to pull with etc. It is a 350 automatic. Are these hard
to find? How hard to change the engine and tranny in a 4x4 like this?
Old January 20th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hal

> No rust. Of course some wear. It is a 96 Silverado king cab step side
> bed 4x4. It is not the best on gas. Still runs and shifts good
> although I noticed I am loosing coolant somewhere. Thought about
> gettign a used 4 cylinder car for gas purposes but I almost have to
> have a truck to pull with etc. It is a 350 automatic. Are these hard
> to find? How hard to change the engine and tranny in a 4x4 like this?

I've not done one, so I don't know for sure. I have done clutches and
transmissions on 4 bangers, and so long as you have a nice selection
of extensions, sockets, a cherry picker, and some patience, swapping
out the powertrain is doable by the backyard mechanic.

Or you can pay a reputable shop to do it. A shop with experience on
your particular truck could probably have the whole thing done in two
days.

If you are losing coolant 'somewhere', and the leak can't be seen, I
would suspect the intake manifold gaskets. Very common on your vintage
truck, and if you go to fix it you'll probably break off the heater
hose connection on the intake, the one with the 'quick release' tab
that doesn't ever work. Either you'll break the clip, or the metal
bung that screws into the intake, or both...so if you find the leak at
the edge of the manifold be ready to change those parts too. The
plastic clip can be found in the "Help" section. The metal bung is a
dealer part, they improved it so the new one won't fall apart
(supposedly).

Chris