Seat position sensor for airbag, 2005 Scion tC

Old April 18th 11, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Seat position sensor for airbag, 2005 Scion tC

Hachiroku ???? wrote:
> So a few months ago (August or so) I replaced the stock Scion seat with a
> seat from a Celica. Made the car a bit more comfortqable and easier to
> drive. However, the Celica seat did not have a position sensor for the
> airbag, so since then I have been driving with ther airbag light on.
>
> Since inspection is coming up, and it would certainly fail with the airbag
> light glowing, I pulled the underseat harness from the Scion seat and
> adapted it to the Celica seat. Now, all is right with the world; the
> airbag light is off, but WHAT does that sensor actually do? I understand
> it is a two stage airbag, and goes off at one level if the seat is up
> close and another level when the seat is moved back.
>
> There was no real way to mount the sensor onto the Celica seat, so I just
> set it on the rail where the slider is, approximately where it was on the
> Scion seat. But there's no way to bolt it in.
>
> So, other than determining the airbag level of deployment, how does this
> thing work?

It has a strain sensor that deflects depending on the weight of the
passenger. It sends a variable signal to the BCM which determines which
setting to fire the bag. However with the sensor unmounted the bag may
not deploy at all. Depends on how that BCM is programmed.

--
Steve W.

Old April 25th 11, 01:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
in2dadark

On Apr 17, 11:15 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B > wrote:
> So a few months ago (August or so) I replaced the stock Scion seat with a
> seat from a Celica. Made the car a bit more comfortqable and easier to
> drive. However, the Celica seat did not have a position sensor for the
> airbag, so since then I have been driving with ther airbag light on.
>
> Since inspection is coming up, and it would certainly fail with the airbag
> light glowing, I pulled the underseat harness from the Scion seat and
> adapted it to the Celica seat. Now, all is right with the world; the
> airbag light is off, but WHAT does that sensor actually do? I understand
> it is a two stage airbag, and goes off at one level if the seat is up
> close and another level when the seat is moved back.
>
> There was no real way to mount the sensor onto the Celica seat, so I just
> set it on the rail where the slider is, approximately where it was on the
> Scion seat. But there's no way to bolt it in.
>
> So, other than determining the airbag level of deployment, how does this
> thing work?

Socialst states still have inspections eh? What else does your nanny
charge you fo...uh.. do for you..?
Old April 25th 11, 02:31 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:25:17 -0700, in2dadark wrote:

> On Apr 17, 11:15 pm, Hachiroku ハチ*ク > wrote:
>> So a few months ago (August or so) I replaced the stock Scion seat with
>> a seat from a Celica. Made the car a bit more comfortqable and easier to
>> drive. However, the Celica seat did not have a position sensor for the
>> airbag, so since then I have been driving with ther airbag light on.
>>
>> Since inspection is coming up, and it would certainly fail with the
>> airbag light glowing, I pulled the underseat harness from the Scion seat
>> and adapted it to the Celica seat. Now, all is right with the world; the
>> airbag light is off, but WHAT does that sensor actually do? I understand
>> it is a two stage airbag, and goes off at one level if the seat is up
>> close and another level when the seat is moved back.
>>
>> There was no real way to mount the sensor onto the Celica seat, so I
>> just set it on the rail where the slider is, approximately where it was
>> on the Scion seat. But there's no way to bolt it in.
>>
>> So, other than determining the airbag level of deployment, how does this
>> thing work?

> Socialst states still have inspections eh? What else does your nanny
> charge you fo...uh.. do for you..?

I pulled the seat belt clasp and harness from the OEM seat and 'installed"
it in the Celica seat...no airbag light!

Old April 26th 11, 02:09 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:32:51 -0700, Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:31:40 -0500, Hachiroku ???? > wrote:

>>> Socialst states still have inspections eh? What else does your nanny
>>> charge you fo...uh.. do for you..?

>>I pulled the seat belt clasp and harness from the OEM seat and
>>'installed" it in the Celica seat...no airbag light!

> Thought those sensors were two stage by weight, not distance. (Child in
> front gets less of a smack in the face than would an adult). That's how it
> is on my Solara.

I believe it is. But, since I don't plan on getting into an accident,
anyway!!

2005 KIA Optima 4cyl - Crankshaft Position Sensor and over-currentsending to CPS auto518 Technology 9 January 20th 09 11:56 PM
1999 E36 airbag seat sensor [email protected] BMW 1 May 23rd 06 03:32 PM
Position sensor McNick Jeep 3 March 19th 06 02:38 PM
Is it possible to bypass the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor, Crankcase Position Sensor) Erich Jeep 16 January 30th 06 12:12 PM
AWA [OFFER] Wheel sensor;Crankshaf position sensor;camshaft sensor;knock sensor;phase s [email protected] General 0 January 10th 06 12:51 PM