Coolant in the oil

Old January 19th 05, 03:35 AM

>they found glycol in the oil allright......why do you think it looked
like
>chocolate milk?
>
>lucky the head didn't crack between the valves

Just pure water can give the oil a chocolate milkshake appearance. When
the mechanics drained the oil, they didn't find any of the green stuff.
I found out that actual antifreeze gives the oil more of a mayo
appearance (oil with white spots).

Old January 19th 05, 03:36 AM
rob

no it looks like baby**** or chocolate milk.............

oups.com...

Old January 19th 05, 02:20 PM
Dave Gower

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote

> Please change the Subject line when you change the topic. In this case,
> you've gone from talking about bad head gaskets ("Coolant in the oil") to
> talking about dealer service ("Vaseline in the pants").

Dan, Dan, Dan, you really need to get out more.

Old January 19th 05, 03:59 PM
Steve

Anthony wrote:

>>To reinterate: No water or oil should go through any openings in the
>>head gasket. The only holes in the head gasket should be cylinder
>>bore holes and cylinder bolt holes. Instead, the block and head
>>should be two separate, closed systems for coolant. The radiator,
>>pump and thermostat all stay the same as it is now. But, water does
>>not flow vertically from block to head. Instead, the coolant flows
>>from the front to the rear of the block, exits the block and enters an
>>external manifold.

> So, you want to fix one gasketed, bolted joint, by adding MORE bolted,
> gasketed joints to fail.

<clap clap clap clap!>
Old January 19th 05, 04:03 PM
Steve

rob wrote:

> god lord wonder when his bearings will start to peel
>

> not much longer I bet

I wouldn't be surprised if the dang thing outlives him. It IS a Chrysler
2.5, after all. One of the most abuse-tolerant engines made.

Old January 19th 05, 07:06 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:03:40 -0600, Steve > wrote:

>rob wrote:
>
>> god lord wonder when his bearings will start to peel
>>

>> not much longer I bet
>>

>I wouldn't be surprised if the dang thing outlives him. It IS a Chrysler
>2.5, after all. One of the most abuse-tolerant engines made.

Yes, they are pretty tough. Crude, noizy, clunky things, but tough as
nails.

As for water in the oil, MOST bearing materials are pretty forgiving
of tap water, while many are totally intollerant of glycol.
An engine can be run with pure water in the crankcase under no load
for quite some time without failing. (surprising how long some will
run with no oil, or ANYTHING in the crankcase) but glycol will take
out bearings very quickly.

Condensation, which is pure water, can give oil that chocolate shake
look and consistency, along with the white foamy "whipped cream" foam
in the rocker covers.
Old January 19th 05, 07:18 PM
maxpower

good come back Lawrence!!!