93 SL2 electrical problems: NOW it gets WIERD

Old February 25th 05, 08:45 PM
J.B. Bobbitt

Default 93 SL2 electrical problems: NOW it gets WIERD

Per previous post, I've been having some intermittant electrical problems.

In short: it starts and runs well most of the time. Sometimes after it
starts, the lights dim, the gauges quit, and the aftermarket CD player/radio
turns on repeatedly. Once you shut the key off after that, the electrical
system is dead (like the battery is drained: no solenoid click, no lights,
no seat belt action, nuttin'). I charge the battery and its fine, for a
while, until next time.

BUT, the BATTERY isn't dead. After simply disconnecting both leads, and
re-connecting, it starts and runs fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

Old February 26th 05, 01:40 AM
J.B. Bobbitt

I should have mentioned in the original post that there is no obvious
corrosion on either post or cable. Thanks though, blah blah.

-jbb

nk.net...

Old February 28th 05, 08:16 AM
gvg

I have a 93 SL2, and I had an electrical problem that was kind of similar
to yours. It recurred three or four times about once every year and a
half. In between recurrences though there was no problem. The problem was
that the entire electrical system would go dead.

When the failure occurred I measured a dead short across the battery
terminals. The dealer was not able to diagnose it because the short would
be gone by the time they got it. I finally figured out that it was the
headlight switch that was shorting out. After replacing it, I have not had
the problem for four years.

Your problem does not sound exactly like mine, but if you are losing your
entire electrical system then maybe this might be a clue for you.

gvg

Old March 11th 05, 06:02 AM
Chris

"J.B. Bobbitt" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Per previous post, I've been having some intermittant electrical problems.
>
> In short: it starts and runs well most of the time. Sometimes after it
> starts, the lights dim, the gauges quit, and the aftermarket CD
> player/radio turns on repeatedly. Once you shut the key off after that,
> the electrical system is dead (like the battery is drained: no solenoid
> click, no lights, no seat belt action, nuttin'). I charge the battery and
> its fine, for a while, until next time.
>
> BUT, the BATTERY isn't dead. After simply disconnecting both leads, and
> re-connecting, it starts and runs fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -jbb

Check your connections at the starter. That was my problem.

Chris