Rubber preservative - longest lasting?

Old September 23rd 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Default Rubber preservative - longest lasting?

What's the longest lasting rubber preservative available?

Old September 23rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_171_]

larry moe 'n curly Wrote:
> What's the longest lasting rubber preservative available?

For what, like tires?

Brake fluid is one of the best rubber conditioners there is, but I
don't suggest using on tires and door seals...for obvious reasons....

Products with silicone like Armor All tend to make rubber turn brown
and get brittle eventually, so they don't get my vote.

I dunno. Something that cleans it well and leaves some level of UV
protection without silicone would get my vote, whatever that is, or if
it exists...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 23rd 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_41_]

I've been using STP Son of a Gun, [similar to armorall]. Works okay for
me, and I don't see any prob. with rubber browning.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

Old September 23rd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> larry moe 'n curly Wrote:

> > What's the longest lasting rubber preservative available?

> For what, like tires?
>
> Brake fluid is one of the best rubber conditioners there is, but I
> don't suggest using on tires and door seals...for obvious reasons....
>
> Products with silicone like Armor All tend to make rubber turn brown
> and get brittle eventually, so they don't get my vote.

They're tiny bellows (boots) for the carburetor. One weatherproofs the
throttle position switch, the other goes over the accelerator pump
shaft, probably to keep out dust and prevent gas fumes from leaking
out. I'd get gas fumes inside the passenger compartment when that
bellows cracked.

I checked the chemical compatibility data base at:

www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

but the only solid it lists is paraffin, which I couldn't get to stick
well (I thinned it in kerosene).

I'd like to find some kind of flexible solid coating, but vinyl paint
didn't stick, and high temperature rubber glue stayed tacky forever
(made the bellows stick together).

Old September 23rd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"larry moe 'n curly" > wrote in message
> but the only solid it lists is paraffin, which I couldn't get to stick
> well (I thinned it in kerosene).
>
> I'd like to find some kind of flexible solid coating, but vinyl paint
> didn't stick, and high temperature rubber glue stayed tacky forever
> (made the bellows stick together).

I may be (or surely am) way screwed up, but I like RuGlyde. It is nothing
more than a potassium soap, with glycol, in water solution. But it seems to
keep rubber in pretty good shape.

Old September 24th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

larry moe 'n curly > wrote:

>I'd like to find some kind of flexible solid coating, but vinyl paint
>didn't stick, and high temperature rubber glue stayed tacky forever
>(made the bellows stick together).

How about Cosmoline? It's a paraffin base, with a solvent added for
easy application and some strong reducing agents. Works well on metal
parts but the military uses it on rubber as well.
--scott

Old September 25th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

larry moe 'n curly > wrote:
>What's the longest lasting rubber preservative available?

The problem is that there isn't just one kind of rubber. There are lots
of things... silicones, natural rubbers, urethanes, neoprenes, etc. which
are all referred to as "rubber" but which have totally different chemistry.
This means having one product that works on all of them is sort of difficult.

For years I liked the BMW "Gummiphledge" paste for door and window seals,
but they have stopped making it.

On natural rubbers, methyl acetate will take the gunk off the surface and
keep it nice and soft. But it'll wreck urethanes.
--scott

Rubber brake lines Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 8 June 3rd 05 08:50 AM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 Driving 16 April 29th 05 12:26 AM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 General 15 April 28th 05 01:25 PM
Longest lasting A/T tire? Kerouac 4x4 4 February 4th 05 03:29 AM
Rear axle bushing - rubber or poly? Andrew Hall VW water cooled 2 November 16th 04 12:10 PM