Dealer can't make me keys from VIN for 1994 F150 ?!?

Old April 26th 05, 10:30 PM

Default Dealer can't make me keys from VIN for 1994 F150 ?!?

I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994
F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not
duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but
Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is
this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see
what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and
inconvenient for me .
Old April 26th 05, 11:21 PM

It is only recently that the dealers have been able to get the
key code from a data base by knowing the VIN#, so he is probably
correct. If you know who the original selling dealers was you
may be able get the key code from them, since that was the only
place they were recorded, back when. You will need to prove you
are the owner of that vehicle, however. If it's in say in your
and your wifes name, you will need to provide proof from both of
you. I always carry a copy of the key code with me at all times,
in the event I loose my keys

mike hunt

Old April 27th 05, 01:00 AM
Jeff

> wrote in message
>I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994
> F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not
> duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but
> Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is
> this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see
> what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and
> inconvenient for me .

I broke car key (I think was using it a screwdriver - not recommended) a few
years ago. When lock smith came out, he was able to make a new one using the
old peices as a guide. There are only five or six ridges and with about 2 or
3 different heights for each one. So it isn't too hard to duplicate a new
one that is just like new.

Jeff

Old April 27th 05, 02:50 AM
Jeff

"Jeff" > wrote in message
link.net...

> > wrote in message
>>I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994
>> F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not
>> duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but
>> Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is
>> this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see
>> what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and
>> inconvenient for me .

> I broke car key (I think was using it a screwdriver - not recommended) a
> few years ago. When lock smith came out, he was able to make a new one
> using the old peices as a guide. There are only five or six ridges and
> with about 2 or 3 different heights for each one. So it isn't too hard to
> duplicate a new one that is just like new.

I should have added that my car was the last year for the contour that this
could be done for (1997). Later cars have the electonic key fobs or
something. Electronic key fobs were in use in other cars before 1997,
whether or not this would work for a particular car or truck, I don't know.

Old April 27th 05, 03:09 AM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
> I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994
> F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not
> duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but
> Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is
> this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see
> what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and
> inconvenient for me .

I'm pretty sure a locksmith can make a key by using their "impression
method". Only takes a few mins. with a blank and a tiny pair of vice-grips
and a key file. In SC, I take the car and for about $15-20 I leave w/the
keySSSS. If l-smith has to come to my place to do it, it costs us about
$50. HTH, s

Old April 27th 05, 04:02 AM
johanb

"Jeff" > wrote in message
link.net...

>There are only five or six ridges and with about 2 or
> 3 different heights for each one.

Make that 5 different heights, but still not that hard....

Johan

Old April 27th 05, 07:59 AM
351CJ

> wrote in message
>I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994
> F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not
> duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but
> Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is
> this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see
> what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and
> inconvenient for me .

Any Locksmith can easily cut a new key (to original dimensions) from a
working old key! I always have that done when I buy a used car, then I have
my copies made from the newly cut key. Should cost between $5-$10. If you
need a special type key get the blank from the dealer and have a lock smith
cut the key for you.

Old April 27th 05, 02:35 PM
William R. Watt

I've had car keys cut at a hardware store for $1.35 each.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old April 27th 05, 05:08 PM
Richard

> wrote in message
>I am in situation where I would like to get some new keys for my 1994
> F150 . The only keys I have are 3rd or 4th generation and will not
> duplicate well . I want to get a new set of key cut from the ID #s but
> Ford dealer says their database does not go back that far !!! . Is
> this true ? My alternative is either to repalce the locks or see
> what locksmith can do for me both of which are more expensive and
> inconvenient for me .

I had keys cut for an '89 Mazda at a locksmith.
I had no keys. All I had to provide him was a number on the lock cylinder.
This only involved removing the inside door panel and finding the number
etched on the lock.

Old May 11th 05, 01:58 PM
Alotta Fagina

Search EBAY, companies make keys e.g. streetkeys.com or somethjing... they
sold me one for 1994 Oldsmobile which I junked later but the fact remains -
they made me a key I thought can never order again