What was the last year of "regular" ignition keys on the 3 series?

Old May 25th 05, 05:50 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Default What was the last year of "regular" ignition keys on the 3 series?

My understanding is that -- in the UK at least -- overall theft of newer
cars is falling because it is getting harder.

DAS

---

Old May 26th 05, 07:19 AM
Peter Bozz

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> My understanding is that -- in the UK at least -- overall theft of newer
> cars is falling because it is getting harder.
>
> DAS

What I've heard is that, instead of simply stealing your car (which is
getting harder to do), thieves now first burglarize your house in order
to acquire the keys, _then_ they steal the car. Keeps the car intact too.

Admittedly, by its very nature, this combination of actions is harder to
commit, so overall it should indeed happen less frequently.

On the other hand, carjackings and thumb (and/or eye) removal usually go
beyond what the average, hard-working car thief is prepared to do to
acquire a car. (Of course, a Latvian or Serb outfit won't even blink at
the sight of a pair of bolt cutters snipping off a well-manicured thumb
or two.)

Old May 26th 05, 01:18 PM
anon

I happen to think its a good idea, it has certainly eliminated the
lock-picking thief, and its not that difficult to keep a key safe from
burglars.
if your stupid enough to leave your keys to your £30,000 beemer hanging on
the wall by the front door, well you know the rest.
Steve.