Changing Oil Filter

Old November 11th 04, 02:45 AM
Cary Walker

Default Changing Oil Filter

All,

I have a 2003 GTI 1.8T. The manual says to change the filter every 5000
miles. I've been doing that, and changing the oil using Mobil 1.

The oil filters I get from the dealer say on the filter that they're
extended use, '15,000' mile filters.

Is it really necessary to keep changing the filter every 5,000, or can I get
away with it every other change (10,000 miles)?

Old November 11th 04, 03:09 AM

Last one I bought was $6.83 I think. I bought it for a friendwho has a
1.8T. I buy TDI filters by the 6 pack from Adirondack or parts4vw.

"Cary Walker" <cary_walkerAThomtmail.com> wrote:

>All,
>
>I have a 2003 GTI 1.8T. The manual says to change the filter every 5000
>miles. I've been doing that, and changing the oil using Mobil 1.
>
>The oil filters I get from the dealer say on the filter that they're
>extended use, '15,000' mile filters.
>
>Is it really necessary to keep changing the filter every 5,000, or can I get
>away with it every other change (10,000 miles)?

Jim B.
Old November 11th 04, 10:37 AM
Joseph Meehan

Stick with the manual.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 14th 04, 12:49 AM
Cary Walker

Appreciate that, but it doesn't really answer my question...

Old November 14th 04, 12:50 AM
Cary Walker

The manual also says to change the air filter every 15,000 - but I have a
K&N so obviously the manual's advice doesn't apply.

The point is - same analogy as the air filter - if I have an extended life
oil filter, do I really need to change it at the manual's stated interval?

Old November 14th 04, 01:33 AM
Woodchuck

VW says oil and filter every 5000, filter maker says 15,000. From what I'm
told over in Europe the oil change interval is at least 10,000 miles and yes
VW over there requires synthetic in the 1.8t. When we were a Porsche dealer
the Boxster oil change interval was 1 year or 15,000 miles when filled with
Mobil-1. Like you I'm cheap and change my synthetic oil every 7500 miles in
my 99 2.8l GLX Passat and only use OEM filters. Just checked and OEM filter
for my Passat an it's has 30,000km printed on the can. As for if the filter
will last that long, yes I think it will easily go the miles and then some.
Would I do it... just to save $10 NO! Remember the oil days when the VW Bug
had an air cooled engine and no oil filter and oil change was every
3000miles. You couldn't get 100,000+ miles before the darn engine was worn
out.

Old November 14th 04, 04:17 AM
Biz

"Cary Walker" <cary_walkerAThomtmail.com> wrote in message
> The manual also says to change the air filter every 15,000 - but I have a
> K&N so obviously the manual's advice doesn't apply.
>
> The point is - same analogy as the air filter - if I have an extended life
> oil filter, do I really need to change it at the manual's stated interval?

They are referring to an OEM air filiter. You clean and re-oil a K&N air
filter, you don't do that with an oil filter, so very poor analogy. Its
assinine to not replace an oil filter at the time of an oil change.

Old November 14th 04, 12:32 PM
Woodchuck

I'm not a fan of the K&N filter, more air flow mean less filtering for me,
that's my opinion. And guess what happens if that K&N oil gets to the MAF.

Old November 14th 04, 03:16 PM
Joseph Meehan

Cary Walker wrote:
> The manual also says to change the air filter every 15,000 - but I have a
> K&N so obviously the manual's advice doesn't apply.
>
> The point is - same analogy as the air filter - if I have an extended life
> oil filter, do I really need to change it at the manual's stated interval?
>
> "Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
>> Stick with the manual.
>>
>> --
>> Joseph E. Meehan
>>
>> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
>>

>> "Cary Walker" <cary_walkerAThomtmail.com> wrote in message
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have a 2003 GTI 1.8T. The manual says to change the filter every 5000
>>> miles. I've been doing that, and changing the oil using Mobil 1.
>>>
>>> The oil filters I get from the dealer say on the filter that they're
>>> extended use, '15,000' mile filters.
>>>
>>> Is it really necessary to keep changing the filter every 5,000, or can I
>>> get away with it every other change (10,000 miles)?

If you are still under warrantee, and you fail to follow the maintenance
schedule in the manual, you will loose part of your warrantee, no matte what
the instructions for the filter suggest.

I might add that using a K&N filter is a good way to loose your warranty
as well. It does not meet VW's specifications.

Personally I would not use one. They have been connected with the
replacement of a lot of MAS's and many authorities question their
effectiveness at cleaning. With today's engines there is little if anything
to be gained by using them.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old November 14th 04, 03:29 PM
Cary Walker

Thanks for your well thought out reply, even though you clearly missed the
point... I ask if it's safe to leave an oil filter that's marked '15,000'
miles in for more than 5,000 - and you criticize my analogy skills and call
me asinine (plus you can't spell).