Synthetic Oil question

Old December 17th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
mopa

Default Synthetic Oil question

On Dec 11, 6:42 pm, "alfred" > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My 2008 Accord now has 1000 miles on it. Its a month old. I am at 80% right
> now, which I guess is good. I know that when I need the oil changed I should
> wait until about 15% and my dealer which I will have the change done at uses
> Synthetic. I think they use mobile 1 but I am not 100% sure on that. So is
> there a difference on using Synthetic vs regular oil? Will the car perform
> better in terms of more easily reving and picking up speed?
>
> I noticed that right now the car is a little sluggish at lower rpms
> especially in slow travel. Once you get the rpms up to 3000 or you are going
> 40 mph and then step on the gas its another story and the car really goes!
> So I am wondering if thats because of the oil from the factory or just
> because its the way the car is?
>
> Thanks,
> Al

Castrol Synthetic is your better Oil.
Old December 18th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Polfus wrote:

>>> Forget it Seth...if you think that Hondas *routinely* go over 200,000
>>> miles, and that 10/10 people have Accords that lasted over 200,000
>>> miles..then
>>> go ahead.

>> You do not think this is a rule?
>> Check the used cars listings in your area...
>> All these cars are still drivable.

> I went to eBay and checked there, which has a lot more listings. For
> example, of all the completed listings for Honda Accords, all years,
> there are 962 listings. Of those, 61 have stated over 200,000, and some
> listings were rebuilt engines and others sold "as parts" or not running.
> That comes out to about 6% of the total.
>
> Of the current listings, there are 332 listings, of which 17 state over
> 200k miles...with same thing as above. That comes to 5% of the total. Or
> another way to look at it is 1294 total listings ( completed and current
> ) with 78 total over 200k = 6% of the total.
>
> If you can point me to some other info that would help explain your
> amazement at my amazement, then please give a link.

er, you're merely looking at cars for sale, not cars that are owned and
driven every day. better look in junk yards - those vehicles are at the
end of their life and hondas routinely have 200k, 300k, or more.
Old December 18th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article > ,
> jim beam > wrote:
>
>> bottom line, this whole subject is a murky pool of slime.

> In other words, "marketing to stupid people".

not so much stupid, ignorant. and if the manufacturers won't spill
their beans, then /everyone/ is ignorant.
Old December 19th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Dec 17, 9:14 am, jim beam > wrote:

> even f1 race cars, pretty much the ultimate in engineering design,
> strive to achieve smooth transmission shifting in their semi-automatics.
> not because they're driven by wussies, but because, as i've stated
> repeatedly before, it mitigates fatigue in the transmission and drive
> line. you need to study the effect of stress amplitude vs. fatigue
> life. a bit of tribology wouldn't hurt you either.

You're confused, wise one. In race cars, as long as you don't get your
neck broken by the shift shocks, it's smooth, but to the average
consumer, barely noticeable shift shocks is smooth. As an analogy, a
hotdog goes with mustard is smooth..

Face it, you've got to have the coordination of a world-class gymnast
to shift gears precisely and smoothly. Now you have it, automated
manual transmission do the shifting with smoothness and a robotic
precision. Honda automatics are just that..

But Honda could never launch a marketing campaign for its automatic
transmission technologies that as it did for its VTEC engines.
Automatic transmissions, like hotdogs, are uniquely American.
Declaring a war against the norm is commit suicide.

Honda's automatic transmission design is superior, if you ask me. But
selling cars equiped with Honda's automatic transmission in North
American market is like is selling hotdogs garnished with plum sauce.
Bad for your health? NO!! And yet the taste is strange. What Honda
does is tell Joe Shmoe the consumer that adding cat **** to plum sauce
will make the damn thing taste just like mustard.

Now that is BAD!!!
Old December 19th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> On Dec 17, 9:14 am, jim beam > wrote:
>> even f1 race cars, pretty much the ultimate in engineering design,
>> strive to achieve smooth transmission shifting in their semi-automatics.
>> not because they're driven by wussies, but because, as i've stated
>> repeatedly before, it mitigates fatigue in the transmission and drive
>> line. you need to study the effect of stress amplitude vs. fatigue
>> life. a bit of tribology wouldn't hurt you either.

> You're confused, wise one. In race cars, as long as you don't get your
> neck broken by the shift shocks, it's smooth,

in f1, it's not about the driver, it's about the peak loads on the
transmission. the more it jerks, the higher the peak load. the higher
the peak load, the lower the fatigue life. and, in racing, the lower
the peak load, the lighter the componentry can be to achieve a fatigue
life that will get it across the finish line in first place.

a street honda is not built for racing, but it's not built for an
infinite fatigue life either - that would make it too heavy. given that
there is no speed or power advantage to jerky shifting, and that there
is a substantial fatigue advantage [which happens also to benefit driver
comfort] to making it smooth, there is no logic in disregard.

synthetic oil... Cal[_1_] Jeep 21 July 23rd 06 11:28 PM
Synthetic And Regular Oil Together Question ? Robert11 Technology 5 May 2nd 06 09:09 PM
Synthetic Oil Question John Jeep 18 March 24th 06 10:54 AM
Synthetic oil price question TomKan Chrysler 9 April 27th 05 10:26 PM
Question to those who use synthetic oil Joe Blo General 14 July 22nd 04 03:47 AM